Did you know....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you know....

Chickens pull their breast feathers out when they set eggs.

What do you know that others may not? Inquiring minds want to know.

Koalas sleep for 20 hours per day. They sleep because they are permanently drunk on eucalyptus oil. If reincarnation is real, that's what I would choose to be next time...
    Effort only fully releases its rewards after a person refuses to quit.

Napoleon Hill

Comment

I want to be a koala too !

If you wait til first week of June to plant zucchini they will not be plagued with squash beetles. You will also get more fruit.

Comment

If you plant some dill next to tomatos you will not have horn worms. They like dill better than tomatos. + let them gross creatures live then there will be more moths that infect and kill them

Comment

Thanks for the info about the dill and tomatoes rosie. I have my tomato plants and pepper plants hardening off and they are looking so good. I always plant dill. but this year I will put some in with the tomatoes as well in my herb garden on my porch railing.

Tidbit of info is that if you plant pole green beans beside corn they will use the corn stalks as trellises and put nutrients back in the ground each for the other.

On French's mustard push the cap all the way back when opening it and snap it onto the back of the rim and keep the lid from flopping forward and getting mustard on it.

Always dust nuts, fruit and chips with flour before folding into batter so they don't sink end up on the bottom of the pan. They will stay suspended in the batter and be throughout whatever you are baking. Use a small amount of flour that it calls for in the recipe.

Now, can someone tell me how I can keep squirrels out of my garden beds and digging holes everywhere? Thank you in advance!!
          Last edited by livetobake; 05-04-2022, 03:33 PM.
          Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
          He drew a circle that shut me out.
          But love and I had the wit to win,
          We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

Put a couple handfuls of crushed egg shells in the hole and cover with some soil. Before planting tomatos. There will be no blossom end rot. Also pick the stems and leaves off almost to the top of the plant and plant them deep. Plant will sprout more roots making it able to absorb more nutrients. I always pollinate tomatos with a child's little cheapy paint brush. Just gently brush each blossom

Comment

this is not a big thing, and most will know this. My son worked in a restaurant for awhile and told me that after you prep your salad greens to take a cold wrung out dish cloth and gently lay it on top of bowl to keep your salad crispy. I do this with any leftover and it keeps for days, just have to keep refreshing the cloth in water. I used to put the leftovers in a plastic bag, but it would not last long.
              A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

Mudder, I didn't know that. We eat a lot of salad in the summer. Good to know. Now I can make a big ol bowl that will last a few days instead of chopping everyday.

Comment

Something I learned recently! You can keep whole avocados perfectly green and ripe for weeks by submerging them in cold water in a lidded container and storing them in the fridge. I ate one 2 days ago that had been in there at least 3 weeks and it was perfect and tasted wonderful.

Comment

WOW Charlene that is awesome! TY for that. I love avocados

Comment

I think you’ll thank me! A good friend of mine tried it first with excellent results so I tried it and was astounded. I told both my sons and they’re having great luck with it too. I just hate it when you miss that 5 minute window of perfect ripeness and then it turns yucky. I wait until they feel perfect and then pop them in the water in the fridge.

Comment

Originally posted by CharleneG View Post
                        I think you’ll thank me! A good friend of mine tried it first with excellent results so I tried it and was astounded. I told both my sons and they’re having great luck with it too. I just hate it when you miss that 5 minute window of perfect ripeness and then it turns yucky. I wait until they feel perfect and then pop them in the water in the fridge.
                        5 min window is right. Lol. My sil gets the freebie food. She hates avocados so she brings 3 - 5 lb bags here. Ripe and ready. I couldn't give them away. We ate them til coming out of our ears. Peeled & pitted and fed em to the chickens And another " fun" fact for the thread. Avocados kill chickens. I DIDNT KNOW THAT lost 4

Comment

Originally posted by rosie View Post
                          Avocados kill chickens. I DIDNT KNOW THAT lost 4
                          What is in avocados that kill chickens? I've never heard of that happening.

I used to feel so guilty when I gave our chooks the leftover roast chicken from Christmas dinner. I was turning them into cannibals... Of course they ate it up quickly.

Napoleon Hill

Comment

Originally posted by CharleneG View Post
                            I think you’ll thank me! A good friend of mine tried it first with excellent results so I tried it and was astounded.
                            I'll definitely do that in future, Charlene. I love avocados but end up throwing out more than I get to eat. I've been buying my fruit and veg from a company that picks up the produce directly from local orchards and gardens. Their avocados are beautiful but I've cut the order down to just one because in a couple of days they're inedible.

Napoleon Hill

Comment

There is a toxin called Persin. Mostly in the skin and pit. It is present in the flesh as well but smaller amount. You can feed chickens avacado flesh in small amounts. Tho I wouldn't chance it again. I gave mine a lot to get rid of them. I figure the ones that died must have eaten more or more of the part that was touching the skin and pit.

Comment

Working...
                              X