Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May 5th Dinner Post

Good Morning!

It is sunny with clouds and rain moving in later this evening. The high will be 60 and the low of 51.

Dinner will be leftovers from last night as DGS really thought it tasted good.

What will be your dinner on this Thursday?
    Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
    He drew a circle that shut me out.
    But love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in.

Our dinner tonight was reheated fish and chips from last night. I'm still eating mine now at almost 11.30pm because we had a very late lunch of a hot chicken sandwich. I bought two chickens to make some good chicken stock. I'll get the fat off it tomorrow before making some sweet potato and red capsicum soup. I'm also adding parsnips, carrot, swede, turnip and celery. I can't wait to taste it.

I was finally able to buy my favourite sweet biscuits. I had thought they were German biscuits but they turned out to be Swedish. They are so good I can't leave them alone.

https://i.imgur.com/IDMlofx.jpg
    Effort only fully releases its rewards after a person refuses to quit.

Napoleon Hill

Comment

Cloudy mid 50s.

New to me recipe for tamale pie. ?? We'll see
      It's is from the blog. Spend with pennies

Comment

Rosie, tamale pie is really good!

Cinco Time!

I’ve been going since yesterday, almost done. Shredded pork, shredded beef and shredded “Birria” chicken for tacos, burritos, tostadas…etc. Homemade pintos (turning into refried), taco sauce, pico, guacamole, cheesy rice, Mexican slaw and jalapeņo poppers. Feast for days with little effort on the meals. Margaritas to go with the apps.

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post

Cinco Time!

I’ve been going since yesterday, almost done. Shredded pork, shredded beef and shredded “Birria” chicken for tacos, burritos, tostadas…etc. Homemade pintos (turning into refried), taco sauce, pico, guacamole, cheesy rice, Mexican slaw and jalapeņo poppers. Feast for days with little effort on the meals. Margaritas to go with the apps.
          All sounds good Bean. Cinco de Mayo, I have a feeling that there are probably a number of people on this board who have no clue what the day celebrates

Cinco de Mayo, or the fifth of May, is a holiday that celebrates the date of the Mexican army’s May 5, 1862 victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War. The day, which falls on Thursday, May 5 in 2022, is also known as Battle of Puebla Day. While it is a relatively minor holiday in Mexico, in the United States, Cinco de Mayo has evolved into a commemoration of Mexican culture and heritage, particularly in areas with large Mexican-American populations.

Comment

Bean, I thought of you when I decided to make it. Figured you had an awesome recipe. I've only made it once before using a different recipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post

All sounds good Bean. Cinco de Mayo, I have a feeling that there are probably a number of people on this board who have no clue what the day celebrates

Cinco de Mayo, or the fifth of May, is a holiday that celebrates the date of the Mexican army’s May 5, 1862 victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War. The day, which falls on Thursday, May 5 in 2022, is also known as Battle of Puebla Day. While it is a relatively minor holiday in Mexico, in the United States, Cinco de Mayo has evolved into a commemoration of Mexican culture and heritage, particularly in areas with large Mexican-American populations.
              Thank you for posting this Sabine.

Comment

Originally posted by rosie View Post
                Bean, I thought of you when I decided to make it. Figured you had an awesome recipe. I've only made it once before using a different recipe.
                We really like this one. My (changes) are noted.

Tamale Pie

This tamale pie recipe is made with ground beef, onion, peppers, tomatoes, corn, olives, and cheese, and has a cornmeal and cheese crust.

INGREDIENTS:

1 pound lean ground beef
                1 cup chopped onion
                1 large green bell pepper, chopped (I use 5 jalapenos)
                1 large can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
                1 large can (28 ounces) tomatoes, cut up (Mexican stewed)
                1 can (16 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained (Fiesta corn)
                1 small can (4 ounces) sliced ripe olives
                2 cloves garlic, minced
                1 tablespoon sugar
                1/2 teaspoon salt
                2 teaspoons chili powder
                dash black pepper
                *I added 1 t. cumin
                1 cup grated Cheddar or Mexican blend cheese

Crust:

3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
                1/2 teaspoon salt
                2 cups cold water (I used beef broth)
                1/2 teaspoon chili powder
                1 tablespoon butter or margarine
                1/2 cup grated Cheddar or Mexican blend cheese, for topping (optional)

PREPARATION:

Brown ground beef with onions and green pepper; drain well. Add tomato sauce, tomatoes, corn, olives, garlic, sugar, salt, chili powder and black pepper. Heat to boiling; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes, or until thickened. Add cheese; stir until cheese is melted. Set filling aside.
                In a saucepan, combine cornmeal, salt, water and chili powder. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick. Stir in butter. Spread half of the mixture into a baking dish, about 12- x 8-inches. Spoon filling over bottom crust; spoon remaining cornmeal mixture over filling. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes. If desired, sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese over the crust about 5 minutes before casserole is done.

Serves 6.

Comment

Thank you for posting this Sabine.
                  You are welcome A lot of people confuse Cinco de Mayo with Mexican Independence Day , which is in September if I remember right.
                  Looked it up, September 16.

Comment

Oh yea that's what I'm talkin about !! TY TY sounds way better than what I was headed to make.
                    Joe is a navy brat. They lived in San Diego when he was in grade school. He remembers having tamale pie for school lunch. SO good he said. Said he's never had any that good since. TY again

Comment

As nice as it was yesterday, today has been rainy and cold all day. It was a lazy day, went and visited son and his dad, brought Abby back to the hotel and we’re getting ready to meet up for dinner. I’m leaving tomorrow, but not before I load up my ice chest at Trader Joe’s before I hit the I-5 in the morning. I’ve got plenty of ice blocks in the hotel freezer.

I’m not sure what I’ll have for dinner yet but it should be pretty good. I hope so, I’m hungry!

Comment

Working...
                      X