Stupid Scammers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Scammers

For the first time last week our phone rang, and I picked up in my office and my husband picked up at the same time in his office. I answered first and I heard "Hi Grandma". Then when my husband said hello, the voice said, "Hi Grandpa". I immediately said to my husband this is one of those scam calls and the scammer hung up. Two days later while I was gone, the phone rang and when my husband picked up the voice said, "This is your oldest grandson". My husband decided to play along, and he said "Harry, how are you and is your sister with you? Click, disconnect. I told my husband next time we get one of these stupid calls, after they say, "Hi Grandma or Grandpa" we should respond with "When did you get out of jail?" Our oldest grandson is 10 years old, and these are adult voices. Do people actually fall for this? Other than if you had dementia or some other medical problem, I just can't understand why something like this can prevail. Have any of you gotten a call like this or is this the newest scam out there?

which is why I have an answering machine and if I don't know the number I'm not answering it...period. if it is important, they will leave a message. Most of the time there is no message.

Comment

No, I have not gotten a call like that. Like AllieK, if I don't know the number that calls or the name , we don't answer, we have voicemail on our landline and cell phones. All of our kids and friends show up with their names when they call. But, I have gotten some emails similar to that. One was supposedly Davids brother and he was in trouble and needed money. So we just hung up and David called his brother , and he was fine. So we knew that was a scam call. I have received several emails telling me that some country in Africa is giving away money and it is all for me , all I have to do is email back my bank account number and my SS # etc. and I will get millions of $$ . I just mark it off as spam and then delete it.

Comment

AllieK - The phone numbers are local exchanges, and we get important business calls and need to answer. Because we are on an Air Card (AT&T) living in the boonies, the ID only has the phone number and no names. My cell phone is seldom on as I don't like talking on them and I hardly ever call out on them. So many people are attached to their phones, and I see them walking across parking lots not even looking to see if a car is coming. I made a promise to myself to never use my phone like that. Anyway, I understand where you are coming from, and I wish the name would show up instead of just the phone number. It is not easy to try and remember everyone's phone number. We do have the AT&T phone message service but there is no blinking light that alerts you to a message. You only know if there is a message when you pick up the phone and you get a beep, beep, beep. There must be some responses for these scams to continue. Hard to believe anyone would fall for that.

Comment

Yes we had the grandma call several yrs ago. We do what AllieK does. I understand you can't.do that. It's very irratating.

Comment

They usually come up as local numbers because they can do all this number spoofing stuff. I can say without a doubt my mom and mother in law would probably both fall for these calls. Mainly because my boys had the knack of going to jail quite often, it has been a very long time though thank goodness.

Comment

Originally posted by Vera View Post
              AllieK - The phone numbers are local exchanges, and we get important business calls and need to answer. Because we are on an Air Card (AT&T) living in the boonies, the ID only has the phone number and no names. My cell phone is seldom on as I don't like talking on them and I hardly ever call out on them. So many people are attached to their phones, and I see them walking across parking lots not even looking to see if a car is coming. I made a promise to myself to never use my phone like that. Anyway, I understand where you are coming from, and I wish the name would show up instead of just the phone number. It is not easy to try and remember everyone's phone number. We do have the AT&T phone message service but there is no blinking light that alerts you to a message. You only know if there is a message when you pick up the phone and you get a beep, beep, beep. There must be some responses for these scams to continue. Hard to believe anyone would fall for that.
              Yes, most of the scam call on my cell phone have a local exchange #. That is how they trick you to pick up. I get most scam calls on my cell phone and always report them as scam before I delete them. But it really makes no difference, they just call back under another #. Frustrating to say the least, especially if you have to deal with business calls and have to answer your phone. I don't know what the answer is.

Comment

My mom got one of those calls several years back. She was all ready to go to the bank to get $4500 out. I told her to wait a minute, which grandkid was calling about it? She said Joshua, so I immediately called him, he was not in Costa Rica (big surprise!), so mom calmed down. If I hadn’t been there she would have paid it.

if I ever get one like that I’ll ask about the grandkid with a fake name to throw them off. I hate scammers.
                Last edited by CharleneG; 05-09-2022, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Same thing happened to my Mom years ago. Called and said hi Grandma. Said he was in jail in Mexico and needed bail money. She almost fell for it (she has dementia). Someone else called not long ago about a bill or something not being paid, she was going to give them money. It’s crazy!

Comment

Well, I had a call saying my social insurance card was compromised. I go thru the speel...did not give out any info...they asked my name, I said Mary McDonald...of course fake name...then I hung up. So I decided to call the number that they called from ...got someone saying it was our towns police detachment..I hung up..I should have gone further with it but I chickened out
                    A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

The scammers are totally out of control.. On my office phone I get at least 2 a day .. and at least one or two a week on my cell .. sometimes scam texts too. Like Sabine said.. these appear to be local numbers and doesn't matter how many time your block them and report they just use another number. Its annoying more than anything and beyond frustrating.

Comment

Working...
                      X