Texas Residents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Residents

I have briefly mentioned before that my son and his family will be moving to the Houston area. He and I are going to drive one of their vehicles down over Fourth of July including the dog and an open trailer (w/tarp). He is taking the garage and workshop items that won't fit in the moving truck. They purchased a home in Texas with settlement on June 15th. We will be arriving about two weeks later. But the furniture isn't coming until the end of July. Luckily, the owners are leaving family room furniture so that will become beds. I know I will have to hit the grocery store and the owners are leaving a fridge in the laundry room. I guess in Texas you take your kitchen fridge (not here in Virginia, it stays). I will have to go to the grocery store. I have to look up HEB - I know they sell Boar's Head deli meats. Are there any suggestions on other goodies that can be 'heat and eat' from the deli? The microwave will be my friend during these "empty house' times. I plan on staying around three weeks - close to when the rest of the family arrives. Furniture will be picked up in Virginia July 25th - about the time I return. I hate flying but it is the only way I can return - hitch hiking doesn't do it - lol!!!

HEB sells what they call " HEB simple meals ", combinations of meat, fish and veggie, just put it in the oven to heat ( or microwave ), lots of Mexican dishes , soup bar, rotisserie grilled chicken, some stores sell Pizza fresh prepared and cooked in the oven, but not every store does that. My suggestion would be , go on your computer and key in HEB and the name of the nearest city you will be shopping , and it will bring up what the store sells in their deli. I know where you will be located, but I have a feeling that you don't want that posted on the board.
    Of course those ready prepared meals may not taste as good as home cooked, but it will be ok for just a short time I am sure.
    Just wanted to add, ready salad, sandwiches, BBQ sandwiches are all sold in HEB deli sections, breakfast dishes, now vegan dishes are available. I am sure you will find something that you will like. And tons of restaurants for sure.
    There are also Trader Joe's stores and Whole Food stores , they all have ready made meals and big deli sections.
    Last edited by Sabine; 05-29-2022, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Vera, I have no suggestions but I just want to say how brave you are. I know you don't like flying and you have courageously put your family ahead of your fears. You're so right... hitch hiking is not an alternative...

Btw, fridges are never left in a sold house unless it's being sold fully furnished. It's the stove/cooker that has to be left.
      Effort only fully releases its rewards after a person refuses to quit.

Napoleon Hill

Comment

If the fridge is left in the house is up between Seller / buyer, same with washer/ dryer. It's an individual thing, there is no law. At least that's how it is here in Texas.
        BTW Chayote has your house in Melton sold ?

Comment

Thanks for your responses, Sabine and Chayote. It seems like HEB is something like our Wegmans which is good. Does one register for a bonus card to get sale prices like a lot of grocery stores have? The store I looked up doesn't seem to have a pizza station but then most grocery store pizzas and frozen aren't that good anyway. I just thought - maybe there is a Papa Murphy's pizza in the area which CharleneG always gets. When she mentions Papa Murphy's, I can taste it - lol. Love Mexican food so I am sure there will be no shortage of that.

My daughter in law already has a contractor coming into the house after settlement to sand down the walls and paint. Most houses they looked at had textured walls which seems strange to me. You never see textured walls here in Virginia. But it needs to be done (messy job) before furniture arrives. This house was built in 2006 so maybe it was a custom then. Another strange thing is second floor family rooms due to no basements in Texas. Seems strange to see a pool table/family room on the second floor. There will be a whole lot to get used to for sure.

Comment

Yes, no basements in Texas. Lofts and playrooms / family rooms upstairs are not unusual. All depends on the floorplans. Our house has 2 living areas downstairs, but we are not using it that way. One room has become and office and the other living room with the fireplace is used as a living room, which also looks out to the backyard and green belt .
            The pizzas that you get at the pizza stations at HEB are not frozen. And you can pick the toppings that you want / like. I usually get one when I go to that HEB that has the stations.
            Last edited by Sabine; 05-29-2022, 12:21 PM.

Comment

I just looked up HEB central Market, yes, there is one in Houston, it is a upscale , gourmet HEB store. You will love it. Its a gourmet store on steroids. And HEB does curbside pickup and delivery. But no registration for bonus cards.
              Yes, I know you are actually located outside of Houston, but that should be no problem, there are freeways throughout that whole area, no problems getting anywhere.

Comment

I hope you are used to high traffic areas. I live in Texas, go to our local HEB all the time, but it is a very small store and only has the basic necessities. If I want something more, I have to travel to the next larger towns. There is an HEB Plus in Victoria, now that is a huge store with everything....much like a larger Walmart.

Comment

I do most of my shopping at HEB plus stores. They have fresh meat markets and fish markets and much bigger selections then a smaller HEB store.
                  I think all the newer stores are now HEB plus stores.

Comment

I just looked up HEB Plus stores and it appears there is one not far from my son's house. I then looked up Central Market and I guess there is only one. I am directionally challenged and will not drive into Houston by myself. I have never been to Texas much less Houston. So, it seems like HEB Plus is where I will do some grocery shopping. There appears to be a Whole Foods not that far away either. This will be a new experience for me. Thanks all for responding.

Comment

Originally posted by Vera View Post
                      I just looked up HEB Plus stores and it appears there is one not far from my son's house. I then looked up Central Market and I guess there is only one. I am directionally challenged and will not drive into Houston by myself. I have never been to Texas much less Houston. So, it seems like HEB Plus is where I will do some grocery shopping. There appears to be a Whole Foods not that far away either. This will be a new experience for me. Thanks all for responding.
                      I hate the larger stores because it just tires me out doing all of that walking, but I do go to the HEB Plus for my digestive enzymes and certain other fat-free or low-fat products, which they do not have at my HEB.

Comment

Yes, there are not many Central Market stores, unfortunately.
                        Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Houston and that is it as far as I know.
                        AllieK, you could always take one of those electric carts that HEB provides if walking is too much for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                          Yes, there are not many Central Market stores, unfortunately.
                          Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Houston and that is it as far as I know.
                          AllieK, you could always take one of those electric carts that HEB provides if walking is too much for you.
                          LOL that is true. I'm not that far gone yet, but my knees bother me and I have to walk slow, which takes a long time. I usually just go in for a few things and can go right to it, so shorter time.

Comment

In thinking about the Texas grocery stores, I had a friend who lived in Houston many years ago, and I remember her talking about a gourmet grocery store. I was thinking it was HEB but when I saw Central Market, I remembered that was the store she was talking about. That would be the equivalent to our Wegmans, not HEB. Wegmans is expanding on the East Coast. We are lucky to have one about 17 miles from me. When I need an ingredient off the beaten path, Wegmans usually has it.

Comment

Central Market is owned by HEB.
                              And like I posted before it is a very upscale store, usually in parts of town that have more expensive neighborhoods. Our central market here in SA is located in a neighborhood called
                              Alamo heights. Most houses are a million plus +.
                              It's about a one hour round trip for me to get there, I do it about once a month , worth all my time.

Comment

Working...
                              X