Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Macaroni & cheese question

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Macaroni & cheese question

    I've always made my mac & cheese with either 2% or 1% milk. I have seen some recipes that call for evaporated milk or a combo of milk. I'm guessing that evap milk or homo milk or cream would make a 'creamier' casserole? have you ever made it that way? is it better tasting than reg milk? and what about consistency?
    A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

  • #2
    I use whatever I have on hand. because I am not that picky. If I am making the tomato mac and cheese I always follow the cooks country recipe though. Its the best mac and cheese on the planet.

    https://www.food.com/recipe/macaroni...country-476087

    Comment


    • #3
      I use evaporated milk in a lot of dishes. Sauage gravy, any milk gravy actually, cream soups, potato soup, mashed potatoes, whatever, and I think it makes dishes creamier and has a smoother texture. I have mixed milk in, if need be, 2%, and that works fine also. Mac and cheese, evaporated milk. It is shelf stable, never run out and I think that after 50 plus years of cooking with it that I would not not use it.
      Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
      He drew a circle that shut me out.
      But love and I had the wit to win,
      We drew a circle that took him in.

      Comment


      • #4
        What %age of cream is in your regular milk? Ours is 4%. Is it the same in USA and Canada?
        Effort only fully releases its rewards after a person refuses to quit.

        Napoleon Hill

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm thinking regular milk called whole milk here is 4%. I made a copy of the recipe muzette posted. Sounds good. Will have to wait until we have more people since it is only my husband and myself. We would never eat one pound of pasta in a reasonable amount of time.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Vera View Post
            I'm thinking regular milk called whole milk here is 4%. I made a copy of the recipe muzette posted. Sounds good. Will have to wait until we have more people since it is only my husband and myself. We would never eat one pound of pasta in a reasonable amount of time.
            Thanks, Vera. I use regular milk for everything I cook. It seems to have more flavour
            Effort only fully releases its rewards after a person refuses to quit.

            Napoleon Hill

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Chayote View Post
              What %age of cream is in your regular milk? Ours is 4%. Is it the same in USA and Canada?
              Here in Canada we can get skim, 1% 2% 3% and 4% ---- regular milk would be considered 2%
              the 3% is considered homogenized milk
              unhomogenized milk is called whole milk
              A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

              Comment


              • #8
                I also use what’s on hand. But if you really want the good macaroni and cheese, use heavy cream, half & half or evaporated milk. I used to make it a lot so I used 2%. Now, I’ll use the heavier milks because it’s a treat.

                Comment


                • #9
                  When I make Mac and Cheese I tend to use half and half for mine. I always have it in the fridge.

                  if you have ever tried Cracker Barrel Mac and Cheese it is not bad. I have ordered from Amazon before because it is so easy to prepare.

                  enjoy your day.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MommaBear View Post
                    When I make Mac and Cheese I tend to use half and half for mine. I always have it in the fridge.

                    if you have ever tried Cracker Barrel Mac and Cheese it is not bad. I have ordered from Amazon before because it is so easy to prepare.

                    enjoy your day.
                    Is that the one in the box? This just reminded me that I did pick up a box while in Florida to bring back home...must go check my cupboards for that, can't believe I forgot I had it!
                    A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I'm late to this discussion, but coming form someone that has to do low fat, the more fat in the milk, the creamier the texture. Fat also carries the flavors better, so it tastes better too. I'm not sure about the canned milk or if it adds a different flavor becasue it sure doesn't taste like milk right out of the can.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I was not too keen on using the evaporated milk...will try homo milk next time
                        A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I like the taste of evaporated milk in recipes. I think it elevates the taste. Some people also use evaporated milk as their creamer in their coffee. To me it isn't for drinking just out of a glass though. When I go to the grocery store now and want to buy just plain regular/whole milk sometimes it is hard to find because there is every milk under the sun in the cooler. Our store has like six glass doors with different milks behind them. What happened to the good old days? Try finding a regular Oreo cookie - you have to look high and low because there are flavored ones, blonde ones, mint ones, thin ones, double stuff ones etc.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Vera View Post
                            I like the taste of evaporated milk in recipes. I think it elevates the taste. Some people also use evaporated milk as their creamer in their coffee. To me it isn't for drinking just out of a glass though. When I go to the grocery store now and want to buy just plain regular/whole milk sometimes it is hard to find because there is every milk under the sun in the cooler. Our store has like six glass doors with different milks behind them. What happened to the good old days? Try finding a regular Oreo cookie - you have to look high and low because there are flavored ones, blonde ones, mint ones, thin ones, double stuff ones etc.
                            You got that right. I hate that they have changed so many of our old favorites. I gravitate toward the old flavors of everything

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I totally agree with both of you, Vera + AllieK, it takes forever to find the food item that you want. And not just in the milk aisle, look at the chip aisle, we don't eat much chips, but if we do we prefer the plain Lays potato chips, at my store I find them on the bottom shelf. And now my store ( HEB , you are familiar with that store AllieK ) has decided to offer their chips in the same color bag ( yellow / red ) as the original Lays chips . So easy to pick up the wrong bag. Similar situation in the cereal aisle. So many products that are nothing but sugar and then way on the bottom shelf you find the Kellog's raisin bran box.
                              Yes, I agree , I also want the good old days back , and not just for the food items. But I think they are gone.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X