Interesting Morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Morning

This morning my husband said he needed to do an open burn down by the water. he called the non-emergency number to tell them about the open burn which is required. After about two hours, he noticed some embers landing in the grass. Since he had our hose down there, he put them out. One small ember landed on the back of his neck. He looked up and an ember landed in the hollow of a tall tree. Our water from the hose and the pressure washer water couldn't reach nigh enough. Only some water mist but not enough to put it out. So, we called the non-emergency number for the fire department. They were here in about 10 minutes and our property is large enough they were able to drive right down to the tree. It wasn't a fire engine but a large pickup truck type vehicle that had a water tank, hose etc. Along with the truck, an ambulance always comes too but stayed on the street with its blinkers on. That was one stubborn tree as they were here for about an hour but finally the smoldering stopped. I have already had a neighbor come over to make sure we were OK due to the ambulance in the street. Not what I expected to happen this morning, but it is nice to know we have local support.

Glad the fire is out and you and your husband are not hurt. Kind of scary situation.
    I had to call EMS a couple of times and when they come there also comes a fire truck and a police car, not sure exactly why ? Yes, it is good to know there is support out there.

Comment

Happy ending Hope you and hubby are ok
      Something that was so simple turned out for
      a life experience

Comment

Glad it all turned out. We are all under a burn ban right now. I have a few piles of tree trunks and other debris that I need to burn, but have to wait until the corn crop behind us is harvested and the stalks turned under before I can even think about it. I've seen how high those embers can go and it scares me every time.

Comment

Glad the house didnt catch fire. Sounds like that tree should come down to be on the safe side.

Comment

We have a 3-acre lot so the tree isn't close to anything. And, if it did burn down, there was nothing it could hit other than catch grass on fire. The fire department had a pressure hose on their pick up truck that seemed to reach where we couldn't. The tree is right next to the Potomac River and away from everything which is a good thing. And, there was NO breeze so that ember must have floated!!

Comment

I just saw this post. I’m happy to hear all is well now and damage was minimal. You just never know.

Comment

Working...
              X