Have a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have a question

I've often read on here and other places about cooking a ham in the crockpot. I had a 6 lb half ham in the freezer. I let it thaw in fridge put flat side down in crock. Cooked on low several hours. All I mean ALL the juice came out of the ham. There was prob 3 or 4 cups juice and the ham was dry and stringy and tasteless and hard to chew. What the heck did I do wrong ?

I believe ham is fully cooked (smoked) when you buy it so it really only needs to be gently warmed. Cooking it for several hours in a Crock Pot would dry it out and toughen it up. I hope you can salvage it, maybe chop it up for hamcdoread or something.

Comment

Hi Charlene. This happened a while back but just thought about it again. I made ham salad and used it in a couple casseroles. I was just really bummed and leary to try again. So thought y'all could give me tips. I think your right tho I prob left it in to long. Thanks

Comment

Was it a country ham or a regular ham? Sounds overcooked.

Comment

Idk it was a cooks ham. I think just a reg ham. Yea I do believe I over cooled it. How long do you ladies leave it in crock and low or high?

Was just reading on a blog. She said 7 lb ham on low 6 to 8 HR. I know I didn't do it that long. ???? Maybe I should stick to the oven
          Last edited by rosie; 07-07-2022, 02:45 PM.

Comment

I think the freezer killed it

Comment

Originally posted by mellon View Post
              I think the freezer killed it
              Yea kinda been thinkin that too. Idk

Comment

Water is added to ham so I think that breaks down when heated for a long time after it was frozen.
                Next time I would just defrost it and slice off what is needed and heat it in a fry pam

Comment

Working...
                X