when dining at home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when dining at home

Does anyone still eat at the table for meals?
    I have my breakfast in bed, brought to me by my hubby on week days.
    Lunch is just get what you want, when you want, so no table dining there.
    Dinners are usually, the same...hubby likes to eat before me, so he eats at a TV tray while watching the news...I eat later at the table mostly alone...then DS follows later and eats at table or TV tray watching TV
    Only meals we really have together are on Sunday morning breakfasts, we have a sit down at dining table for bacon and eggs, or when the kids come over and we sit at table.
    A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

We usually go out for a late breakfast,
    no lunch. But there always is fresh fruit availabe.
    Dinner always together at the table, kitchen table . TV always turned off when we eat dinner, that is the time to talk and catch up on what happened during the day or what is going on with the kids/ family.

Comment

We always ate our meals together at the dining room table, and I still eat at the table now that I’m alone and I still use my regular dishes and flatware. The only times we used TV trays was Super Bowl Sunday and New Years Eve. I grew up eating family meals and I raised my kids that way too.

Comment

Originally posted by CharleneG View Post
        We always ate our meals together at the dining room table, and I still eat at the table now that I’m alone and I still use my regular dishes and flatware. The only times we used TV trays was Super Bowl Sunday and New Years Eve. I grew up eating family meals and I raised my kids that way too.
        Same here Charlene. When my kids were growing up and at home we ate dinner at the table together. Things changed a bit when kids were in High school and were active in school activities , basketball / football, cheering leading etc. My kids were raised that way and I am happy to say that my grandkids are raised that way also.
        And we also don't use our cell phones while we are eating. I think it is awful to watch people in restaurants having a meal together and spending all their time looking at their cell phones., why bother being together.
        I don't have TV trays, never had TV trays.

Comment

I’m with you on cell phones at the table! It’s a big nope. I also keep the phone in my purse when dining out. The last time we had a big extended family dinner I put a basket on the table and collected all the phones.

Comment

We always eat at different times at least during the summer. I eat at the table, he goes to his man cave. When we are at the lakehouse with no distractions we always eat at the table together.

Comment

No eating at a table unless we go out to eat. DH usually sits at the table or stands in the kitchen, but I sit on the couch, plate on chest and glass on end table. I fix the food and we each eat when we want to.

Comment

Only time we sit at the table is when we have company. Joe sits at the counter, I sit in my chair. He eats earlier than I do.

Comment

We haven't had a dining table for about 20 years... maybe even longer. Amuses me when people say that if children don't eat at a dining table, they won't learn how to behave when dining out. Well, all my children do just fine when dining out. These days John sits in his lift chair and has a hospital-style table on swivel wheels and all that is in his den. I have my dinner at my computer desk. At the new house we will have room for an 8-seater dining suite. It will only be used when we have visitors.

If we go out for dinner at a club or pub when the family is all together, I hate the fact that most of them are playing on their phones instead of talking and that's not only the children.
                  Effort only fully releases its rewards after a person refuses to quit.

Napoleon Hill

Comment

" If we go out for dinner at a club or pub when the family is all together, I hate the fact that most of them are playing on their phones instead of talking and that's not only the children. "

Ask them to put their phones away , that you would like to talk to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                      Ask them to put their phones away , that you would like to talk to them.
                      I would but I choose to pick my battles...
                      Effort only fully releases its rewards after a person refuses to quit.

Napoleon Hill

Comment

Originally posted by Chayote View Post

I would but I choose to pick my battles...
                        Me too Chayote

Comment

My extended family got a kick out of the basket for the phones. It was presented in a good natured way and really, no one objected to it. Our waitress loved it!

Comment

My husband and I always eat at the kitchen table. Dinner is usually between 5:30-600 pm every day. I do use my dining room if more than 6 people will be eating with us. My kitchen table is a 60 inch round so seats 6. The dining room seats 12 but on special dinners like Christmas I have to add another table going into the foyer to accommodate 15-17. We never eat dinner on the sofas or upholstered chairs - just our preference.

Comment

We rarely use the dining room table. Once we move, we will sit at the table every night for dinner. I’m looking forward to a smaller place!

Comment

Working...
                              X