Recipe Irritations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recipe Irritations

I'm not a creative cook. When I make new recipes, I must have a good written recipe. I do not need a recipe that is not clear on amounts. For instance, when it says a can of something, it must say the size of the can....Ex. evaporated milk...small can or large can? When a recipes says an onion. What does that mean? There are many sizes of onions. It's irritating! I've had recipes that do not put a time frame on the time in the oven. All it says is bake until done. Hmmm, that is a given. How about putting a average time or something, so I know when to start checking.

I feel the same way AllieK, I am not a good cook, don't like to cook, never have.
    I need recipes for most things I prepare, even if it is something I have made for years. What I don't like is when a recipe calls for a " pinch " ?? what is a pinch ? 1/4 of a teaspoon, 1/8 of a teaspoon ??
    I need correct size of a can . Eggs, well they come in different sizes and like you said onions. Just tell me how many chopped onions in cup size.
    I know for most people who cook all that is not a problem , or they don't care, but it bugs me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
      I feel the same way AllieK, I am not a good cook, don't like to cook, never have.
      I need recipes for most things I prepare, even if it is something I have made for years. What I don't like is when a recipe calls for a " pinch " ?? what is a pinch ? 1/4 of a teaspoon, 1/8 of a teaspoon ??
      I need correct size of a can . Eggs, well they come in different sizes and like you said onions. Just tell me how many chopped onions in cup size.
      I know for most people who cook all that is not a problem , or they don't care, but it bugs me.
      I have a set of those tiny measuring spoons. They are smidgen, dash, and pinch. they are made by EKCO

Comment

I have to look for those measuring spoons, I didn't know they existed.

Comment

I found this

There are no precise definitions for these old-time cooking measurements. But generally, most sources today suggest that a dash is a scant ⅛ of a teaspoon, a pinch is about 1/16 of a teaspoon, and a smidgen is 1/32 of a teaspoon.

Comment

I taught my self to cook from the Fannie Farmer Boston School Cookbook. It has a lot of ancient recipes that say to bake in a medium oven and just odd directions. I defiantly learned to wing it from that book. I got a copy of The Whitehouse Cookbook from 1901 at an auction. You can tell it has never been used because it is in such good shape. You need to be experienced before you even try some of the recipes.

Comment

I have a set of those measuring spoons. I use them sometimes. You can find them on Amazon

image.png

Comment

I'm with you Allie K. I'm a recipe cook for the most part. Most come out pretty good. Sometimes I'll mix a couple of recipes that have the same ideal. Drives me nuts when they don't give exact measurements though.

Comment

Working...
                X