Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• September 2nd Dinner Post

Good Morning!

White puffy clouds make for a pretty sky this morning. A lot warmer today with the high of 87 and the low of 67. I got warm outside yesterday but am glad I did the outside work yesterday and did not wait till today. The sunset the last two nights has been so beautiful. And cool enough last night that I had a shawl around me.

I am solo tonight, so I really needed thinking about dinner but decided on a gourmet meal of toast with peanut butter and a peach smoothie.

What gourmet delicacy are you having?
    Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
    He drew a circle that shut me out.
    But love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in.

I had left over pork loin that is now in my small crockpot with barbecue sauce. That will be dinner this evening wit some sauted yellow squash and cheese. Easy dinner for me.

Comment

Pretty nice out today. Not as hot as I expected, 80

A do nothing day. DD is coming for a visit sometime late next week. She asked if she could make a large birthday cake for someone. It's easier to make it here than in their little RV. So I've been looking through my recipes for her. She wants to make some kind of apple cake. I sent her a couple of recipes that I have made that can probably be doubled or tripled.

Tonight I'm making pork and beef ribs in the oven and a Caesar salad.

Comment

Hayburner,

It is nice seeing you post. Your dinner sounds really good and apple cake sounds even better.

The apples I use for applesauce and pies will be picked in about 2 weeks the orchard has told me and that is perfect timing as I have used all the applesauce that I had frozen and baked apples, pies and chunky applesauce really sounds good. DGS just adores the applesauce and likes it chunky and doing it in the crockpot is the easiest I have found. I am thinking about apple butter in the crockpot as I think I would just need cooking it down longer for the thickness and concentrated flavor. I always use some the cider they press there for the liquid you need when first starting in a crockpot. I am pretty sure it will come out good and both DGS and I love it.

Comment

It's been mid 80s today sunny. Humidity is brutal so A/C continues on.

Haven't felt good all day & hated to offer potatos for 3 rd day in a row. Made a quick cjef salad. Joe loves those so its all good.

Hi Hayburner. Your supper sounds really good. AND that cake sounds amazing.

Comment

Holy hotness and humidity today. We went to town to look after our grandson for the day. First time taking him to Mc Donald's lol...he didn't care for the chicken nuggets, and only ate the fries. Went back to his house and he ran us alllll over the yard/street!
            Came back home about 4:30 pm and friends were down at the lake, we joined them for a few brewskis and just came back up to house to have some KFC which we picked up in town earlier.
            A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

It’s been a nice day today, just about perfect. I’ve just been doing little minor things at home and watched the last couple of episodes of 1883. That was a really great series.

I’m going to have some more of the Ritz Cracker chicken and some steamed mixed veggies with it.

Comment

Originally posted by livetobake View Post
                Hayburner,

It is nice seeing you post. Your dinner sounds really good and apple cake sounds even better.

The apples I use for applesauce and pies will be picked in about 2 weeks the orchard has told me and that is perfect timing as I have used all the applesauce that I had frozen

Yes it's Gravenstein apple (my favorite) time now around here. My dd has friends with orchards. Sometimes she will bring boxes full that they get. They make the best tasting applesauce and I too freeze it in ziplock bags flattened so they stack great in the freezer..

Comment

That is how I freeze mine also. I put the first one on a tray so that the bag does not get stuck in the wire shelf and stack away after frozen.

I looked up your apple as my orchard does not grow them. They sound really good. I use Cortland and Mac-Intosh combined for sauce and pies. I love eating the Mac-Intosh as the flavor is so good, but my favorite is Honeycrisp. Oh my gosh are they huge and so good. I arrange slices on a serving dish and drizzle honey lightly on the slices for a unique flavor. I was told by a Jewish man at the orchard that is how they eat them, and I should try it. Man was he on point.

Enjoy time with your daughter and if you feel like it, seeing your apple cake recipes would be awesome.

Have a great weekend!

Comment

[QUOTE=livetobake;seeing your apple cake recipes would be awesome.[/QUOTE]

They are just ones that I had made and saved from the internet.
                    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Ooey Gooey Glazed Apple Cake

Cake Ingredients
                    • 4 cups 4 cups apples, unpeeled and chopped ('Granny Smith' apples are ideal)
                    • 2 cups unbleached white flour
                    • 2 eggs, well beaten
                    • 1 cup raisins
                    • 1 cup brown sugar
                    • 1 cup white sugar
                    • 1 cup oil
                    • 1 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
                    • 1 teaspoon baking soda
                    • 1 teaspoon salt
                    • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
                    • 1 teaspoon vanilla
                    Glaze Ingredients
                    • 1 stick sweet cream butter
                    • 2 tablespoons milk
                    • 1 cup packed brown sugar
                    • 1/8 teaspoon salt
                    • powdered sugar

Instructions
                    1. To prepare the cake mix the oil, sugar, and eggs; then add in sifted flour, vanilla, salt, soda, cinnamon, apples, nuts, and raisins.
                    2. Spray a bundt pan with non-stick spray.
                    3. Scoop the mixture, it will be thicker than most cake batters, and bake at 325 degrees F for 90 minutes or until it tests done. Set aside to cool while you make the glaze.
                    4. The glaze is made by mixing the butter, salt, brown sugar and milk in a saucepan. Heat and stir until smooth. Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in enough powdered sugar until the glaze reaches spreading consistency.
                    5. Remove the cake from the bundt pan and drizzle with warm glaze.
                      (I just piped in on)

image.png
                      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't find the pic of the apple fritter cake. Don't know how it tasted because I gave it away.

Apple Fritter Cake
                      Ingredients
                      Filling and topping
                    6. 1/2 cup (107g) light brown sugar, packed
                    7. 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
                    8. 1 teaspoon Instant ClearJel or King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
                    9. 3 large apples, diced, about 3 1/2 cups (396g)*
                    10. Cake
                    11. 2 1/4 cups (270g) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
                    12. 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
                    13. 3/4 cup (149g) granulated sugar
                    14. 1 teaspoon salt
                    15. 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg or allspice
                    16. 12 tablespoons (170g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
                    17. 3 large eggs, at room temperature 
                    18. 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
                    19. 3/4 cup (170g) milk, at room temperature 
                    20. Glaze
                    21. 3/4 cup (85g) confectioners’ sugar, sifted 
                    22. 1 1/2 to 3 tablespoons (21g to 43g) milk*
                    23. 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
                    24. *Use more milk to create a thin, almost transparent glaze that's characteristic fritters. Use less milk if you want to drizzle the glaze.
                      Instructions
                    25. Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 12” x 4” x 2 1/2" tea loaf pan or 8" square pan and line with parchment. (See "tips," below for more pan options.)
                    26. To make the filling and topping: In a medium bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, cinnamon, and ClearJel or flour. Add the diced apples and stir to coat; set aside.
                    27. To make the cake: In a large bowl (or the bowl of a stand mixer), combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and spice. Add the butter and mix until the mixture is sandy looking.
                    28. Beat in the eggs one at a time, scraping the bowl between additions as needed.With the mixer running at low speed, add the vanilla and milk. Once the milk is absorbed, scrape the bowl and mix at medium-high speed for 1 minute.
                    29. To assemble the cake:
                    30. Spread the batter (about 465g) in the prepared pan. Spoon half the apple mixture (about 285g) over the batter and press in lightly. Spread the remaining batter over the apples and spoon the remaining apples on top.
                    31. To bake the cake: Bake the cake for 65 to 75 minutes for a tea loaf pan, or 60 to 65 minutes for an 8" square pan. The cake is done when a paring knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove it from the oven and cool for 30 minutes before gently tipping it out of the pan onto a rack to cool completely.
                    32. To make the glaze: Combine the glaze ingredients, stirring until smooth. Drizzle over the cooled cake.
                    33. Storage information: Store cake, covered, at room temperature for several days. For longer storage, wrap airtight and freeze.
                    34. Tips from our Bakers
                    35. There are a LOT of apples in this cake, by design. Some types of apples may not cook down as much as others, causing the batter to overflow a 9" x 5" pan. The filling has been updated to reduce the amount of apples from 4 to 3 1/2 cups, leaving the remaining ingredients the same. If you want a cake that's packed with apples, use the full 4 cups (452g) and put your pan on a parchment-lined baking sheet to catch any potential spills as the cake bakes.
                    36. This cake can also be baked in a 9" x 5" loaf pan or a 9" x 4" x 4" loaf pan; bake the cake for the full 65 to 75 minutes or a paring knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Be sure to place a baking sheet below the loaf pan as it bakes in case the apples don't cook down as much as expected and some juice overflows.

Comment

What does unapproved mean?
                      I typed a response and a pic about the apple cake recipes I used and it says unapproved and didn't post.

Comment

Sue, the recipes section is really glitchy. If I post something and try to make a correction to it, it will immediately put it in “unapproved” category. That’s one of the reasons I don’t try to post pictures on here.

Comment

Working...
                        X