Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• September 9th Dinner Post

Good Morning!

Well, I can't see if it is cloudy or not as it is still dark out, but the prediction is lots of sunshine with the high of 83 and the low of 64.

Chicken in the crock pot will turn into BBQ chicken sandwiches, slaw, baked beans, corn on the cob and pudding will be dinner.

What will you be having?
    Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
    He drew a circle that shut me out.
    But love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in.

It feels like a July day here! We have Kian today, and our DD is up now, we are going to head to beach after Kian wakes up and has his lunch.
    Dinner will be BBQ'd hot dogs and a salad just for hubs and myself...DS is yet again away on another fishing trip
    A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

My DD birthday is the weekend so we had a date day. Went to the salvage stores and then to Mary Yoders famous Amish kitchen. I dont understand why the Amish put sugar in potato and macaroni salad, but to each his own I guess. Anyways I am so stuffed I wont need dinner. Hubs is on his own.

Comment

We have a couple of Amish grocery/bakery stores in our area. I always stay away from Amish potato salad and macaroni salad because of the sugar. Sugar doesn't belong in those salads, so I agree with Muzette. Our stores are called Battlefield Country Store and Yoders. Is everyone who is Amish have a last name of Yoders???

Comment

Originally posted by Vera View Post
          We have a couple of Amish grocery/bakery stores in our area. I always stay away from Amish potato salad and macaroni salad because of the sugar. Sugar doesn't belong in those salads, so I agree with Muzette. Our stores are called Battlefield Country Store and Yoders. Is everyone who is Amish have a last name of Yoders???
          Vera, I found this online , that will explain a little bit
          Welcome to Yoder's Restaurant & Amish Village.

Seeing the Village as it stands today, one might wonder how it all began. In the 1970's Levi and Amanda Yoder sold their farm in Nappanee, Indiana and moved to Sarasota, Florida. On a whim, they decided to invest their savings on a tiny restaurant located on Main Street. Levi had a heart for people that created lasting connections and Amanda's second nature was good home cooking. Yoder's quickly became a local town favorite.

It basically has become a chain restaurant / buffet, also in other states , but mainly on the east coast I would imagine. I doubt they could make a go here in the southwest.

Comment

Sabine - Both Yoders (in Madison County, Virginia) and Battlefield Country Store - 2 stores (Route 29) and Fredericksburg, Virginia are not restaurants. They are more a grocery store and have every baking need, bakery, candy you can imagine. They do make sandwiches, but you just order at a counter and eat outside, and they do have deli meat you can order by weight which does include Boar's Head and cheeses. Both stores are a fun place to stop. In the refrigerated section, there are homemade salads, soups and slaws, dairy and fresh farm milk in glass bottles.

Comment

Maybe Yoder is a common last name among Amish people the way Smith or Miller is in the English community ?? Who knows. Yes, I know that the Amish are American citizen. Just with a different religious belief.
              Milk in glass bottles, I haven't seen that since I can't remember, probably since I left Germany.

Comment

It’s been a very pleasant day today, this morning it seemed like we were getting a little wildfire smoke from the east. I left the house early to to to the IGA market on Camano Island, first time I have gone there. It’s not a bad drive at all, maybe 9 or 9 miles. They are having a weekend roast sale and they were advertising USDA Choice chuck roasts for $2.49 a pound in two packs. I got a total of four roasts and they’re all vacuum sealed and in the freezer, they were nice thick ones. They also had Muir Glen diced tomatoes for $1.25 a can too. It’s a nice drive there, it’s so pretty, you can almost believe there’s no town around at all. When I got home I finally got my lights on the porch hooked up to my WiFi again, I had to disconnect, reconnect, enter the WiFi password about 5 times, do a voodoo dance and they finally work again! My “Clark Griswold” neighbor across the street already has his house fully decked out for Halloween. He’s the biggest kid on the block! I think I’ll wait until the first of October to do mine.

It’s time for Amana Melange again. I’ve got small amounts of a few things that are too good to throw out, so I’m gonna do a clean out.

Oh hot damn! Just got a call, I’ve got a buyer for the street rod!​

Comment

I think it is a little bit too early, actually way to early , to decorate for Halloween. I always wonder if people like that ever think about how it is for the neighbors to have to look at all that " decoration " for 51 days!

Comment

It is not a chain restaurant, we actually have a huge Amish community. Yoder and Miller are the most common surnames. Koblintz is a common one as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                      I think it is a little bit too early, actually way to early , to decorate for Halloween. I always wonder if people like that ever think about how it is for the neighbors to have to look at all that " decoration " for 51 days!
                      I agree, it’s way too early, but all the neighbors kind of get a kick out of it and all the neighbor kids love it and him. We all agree the he’s the biggest kid on the block. I’m pretty sure the day after Halloween the Christmas decorations will start going up.

Comment

Yes, I am sure all the kids love all the decorations. I had a next door neighbor who used to put all his Christmas decorations ( inside and outside ) up the day after Halloween and they would stay up sometimes until Valentine's day. He would have a lot of " friends " who would help putting all the decorations up , but nobody would be around to help taking them down, because that was no fun. He usually would have to hire someone to come out and take all that stuff down.
                        When he moved to a retirement community a few years ago he asked me if I would miss all the Christmas stuff and I told him NO , I told him I would miss him and his wife, but would not miss looking at Christmas decorations for 3 month + . I doubt he got my point.

Comment

Working...
                        X