Favorite meatloaf recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite meatloaf recipe?

I cannot find a recipe I like. Who has a recipe they absolutely love?

A recipe I use a lot has a box of Stove Top stuffing in it. I add an egg, a generous squirt of ketchup, and some chopped bell pepper.
    A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

I also make the stove top recipe. I add half a cup or so of sweet and hot chili sauce. I also mix some of the sauce with ketchup for the top.

Comment

Ina Garten has a good recipe. It's online. I don't love it, but I have made it several times. It's flavorful. I have learned over time not to put raw onions into meatloaf , but saute the chopped onions first before adding them to the ground beef. Makes all the difference. I am also not a fan of putting ketchup on the top of the meatloaf. Check out Martha Stewarts meatloaf recipe, also good.

Comment

I’ve got at least 10 recipes for meatloaf but this one has always been the best. I’ve made a few changes along the way, they made it even better. I got this recipe in the mid 60’s.

HIGHLAND MEAT LOAF

Recipe from a newspaper in the 60s

INGREDIENTS
          2 lb ground beef or meat loaf mix (beef, pork and veal, ground)
          2 eggs
          1 large clove garlic, minced (2 lg tsp)
          1/4 cup Penzey's Dried Shallots, reconstituted (put soaking liquid in the meatloaf) or finely chopped fresh shallots
          1 cup soft bread crumbs ( I used sourdough)
          2-3 Tbsp milk
          1/3 cup grated carrot
          1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
          1 tsp dry mustard
          1-1/2 tsp salt
          1/2 tsp pepper
          3/4 cup tomato juice (in meat)* see note OR
          1/2 cup tomato juice mixed with 1/4 cup Heinz Chili Sauce
          3/4 cup tomato juice (over meat) *see note OR

INSTRUCTIONS
          Stir milk into shredded breadcrumbs to make a panade. Let stand for about 10 minutes.

Mix ingredients well and put in casserole dish and cover with remaining tomato juice. Bake at 375 degrees for about 60 minutes. Let it stand at least 10 minutes to re-absorb the juices.

Note 2-14-2019: I used 1/2 cup tomato juice mixed with 1/4 Heinz Chili Sauce twice, once mixed in with the meat, once poured over the meat.

Note 2-2-2022: I used 1 lb lean ground beef and 1 pound ground veal and sourdough bread crumbs. I mixed it all up in the morning and refrigerated it until time to bake and then poured the tomato juice/Heinz chili sauce mix over the top.

Comment

Mine is pretty simple but uses oatmeal instead of breadcrumbs. When I gave my neighbor a meatloaf I had put together and she baked it and said 'boy, my meatloaf never tasted this good" It comes out nice and tender. When I have used breadcrumbs - not so much. I don't know why but now I only use the recipe that calls for oatmeal.

Comment

I just use the Classic meatloaf recipe from the Quaker Oats box because it's easy.

Comment

Originally posted by MudderBear View Post
                A recipe I use a lot has a box of Stove Top stuffing in it. I add an egg, a generous squirt of ketchup, and some chopped bell pepper.
                this one sounds interesting. I have to use extra lean ground meat and dh is always saying it's too dry. the stuffing might make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Vera View Post
                  Mine is pretty simple but uses oatmeal instead of breadcrumbs. When I gave my neighbor a meatloaf I had put together and she baked it and said 'boy, my meatloaf never tasted this good" It comes out nice and tender. When I have used breadcrumbs - not so much. I don't know why but now I only use the recipe that calls for oatmeal.
                  I've used oatmeal and it is moister than with the breadcrumbs

Comment

Originally posted by CharleneG View Post
                    I’ve got at least 10 recipes for meatloaf but this one has always been the best. I’ve made a few changes along the way, they made it even better. I got this recipe in the mid 60’s.

HIGHLAND MEAT LOAF

Recipe from a newspaper in the 60s

INGREDIENTS
                    2 lb ground beef or meat loaf mix (beef, pork and veal, ground)
                    2 eggs
                    1 large clove garlic, minced (2 lg tsp)
                    1/4 cup Penzey's Dried Shallots, reconstituted (put soaking liquid in the meatloaf) or finely chopped fresh shallots
                    1 cup soft bread crumbs ( I used sourdough)
                    2-3 Tbsp milk
                    1/3 cup grated carrot
                    1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
                    1 tsp dry mustard
                    1-1/2 tsp salt
                    1/2 tsp pepper
                    3/4 cup tomato juice (in meat)* see note OR
                    3/4 cup tomato juice (over meat) *see note OR

INSTRUCTIONS
                    Stir milk into shredded breadcrumbs to make a panade. Let stand for about 10 minutes.

Mix ingredients well and put in casserole dish and cover with remaining tomato juice. Bake at 375 degrees for about 60 minutes. Let it stand at least 10 minutes to re-absorb the juices.

Note 2-14-2019: I used 1/2 cup tomato juice mixed with 1/4 Heinz Chili Sauce twice, once mixed in with the meat, once poured over the meat.

Note 2-2-2022: I used 1 lb lean ground beef and 1 pound ground veal and sourdough bread crumbs. I mixed it all up in the morning and refrigerated it until time to bake and then poured the tomato juice/Heinz chili sauce mix over the top.
                    the carrots sound interesting

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                      Ina Garten has a good recipe. It's online. I don't love it, but I have made it several times. It's flavorful. I have learned over time not to put raw onions into meatloaf , but saute the chopped onions first before adding them to the ground beef. Makes all the difference. I am also not a fan of putting ketchup on the top of the meatloaf. Check out Martha Stewarts meatloaf recipe, also good.
                      I agree about sauteing the vegetables first. A few times I just put the raw onion in and they were still crunchy. I do not like crunchy things in my meatloaf. I have a recipe that is pretty good, but not great, that uses chopped onion, chopped green pepper and chopped celery. I've tried everything to get the celery soft, but can't. This last time I cooked them in the microwave first, almost pureed them, and the celery was still a little crunchy.

Comment

You could always leave the celery out. I think the only time I use celery is when I make tuna salad, or egg salad. Not a fan of celery , it really has not much taste.

Comment

Allie,

You could try some celery salt or celery seed and see if you like that. I also have grated celery after "peeling it", getting the strings off, and use a box grated or food processor.

Just a thought.
                          Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
                          He drew a circle that shut me out.
                          But love and I had the wit to win,
                          We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

Working...
                          X