My dog goes nuts for these!

Liver Biscuits

1/2 pound beef liver
    1/3 cup molasses
    1 teaspoon garlic
    1 drop anise extract
    1/2 cup wheat germ or bran
    1/4 cup Brewer's yeast
    1 1/2 to 2 cups wheat flour (all-purpose will work too)

PREHEAT oven to 350 F.

LIQUEFY liver in blender.

MIX molasses, garlic, anise, wheat germ and Brewer's yeast. Add to liver.

STIR in 1 1/2 cup wheat flour to mix. Dough should be very stiff. If it isn't, add a little flour at a time until it is.

ROLL dough out on board and cut out biscuits with cookie cutter.

BAKE at 350 F until golden brown (about 10 minutes).

TURN off oven and leave biscuits in oven overnight to harden.

STORE in refrigerator.

Alternate method:

SPREAD dough evenly over cookie sheet. When baked, break into chew-size pieces.

wishingstar
    Posted March 13, 2006 04:11 AM

I cant find the recipe I used. I make them around christmas for my dogs and friends and familys furkids ...but I did find a similar recipe!
    Thanks Tootie for asking because today is cold and wet so I will be making my dogs some treats!!! just dont have babyfood on hand but will after next shopping trip! if you try please let me knpow how your dog liked these!

Also just a naote I roll mine thin so they come out crunchy and let them sit on counter to dry better as they cool, they do not last very long!

Ingredients:

* 2 Cups Flour
    * 1/2 Cup Cornmeal
    * 1/2 Cup Oatmeal
    * 5 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
    * 2/3 Cup Water
    * 1 Jar Baby Food (Any Flavor)I use liver!!!

Directions:
    Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl until you get a dough that is easy to roll out. Roll to desired thickness and use cookie cutter to cut out shapes.
    Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until browned.
    Cool on a towel before putting in containers. They can also be frozen for use later.
    Note: In a pinch you can use a ground 7 grain mixture instead of cornmeal. Also if you want to use a fruit flavor baby food add spices like cinnamon or nutmeg for the banana or peach flavors and if using a meat flavor food, add powdered brewer's yeast and garlic. You can use peanut butter or homemade applesauce too.

Comment

wishingstar
      Posted March 13, 2006 04:15 AM

Here is another I found that looks like my dogs would love! tho I have not tried, I would no doubt add flour to thicken so they turn out crunchier!and you could also use cream of wheat or oatmeal instead of wheat germ,liver treats around my house never make it to storage baggies or the freezer for a later date, LOL

Liver Lover Doggie Treats

* 1/2 Cup Dry Milk
      * 1/2 Cup Wheat Germ
      * 1 Teaspoon Honey
      * 1 31/2 Ounce Jar Baby Food or ( Blended Cooked Liver)

Here's what you need to do;
      Combine the dry milk and the wheat germ; drizzle in the honey on top of the baby food or the blended cooked liver. Stir until well mixed. Roll in to small bite size balls and place on a well oiled cookie sheet, flatten the balls with a fork, Bake at 350 degrees F for 8 to 10 min. When they are done they will have the consistency of fudge.

Allow the treats to cool and store in zip-loc bags prior to placing them in the freezer for storage.

Comment

Working...
      X