X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greek Honey Cookies by TeresaY

TeresaY
    Posted November 19, 2004 03:49 AM

I got these from a guy that I use to work with who is from Greece and he translated these recipes from Greek into English for me...they are his mothers authentic Greek recipes and I love them all!!! Very easy to make too!

Greek Honey Cookies

2 cups of corn oil
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup orange juice (no pit juice)
    *** ¼ cup either rum, whisky, cognac (whichever you want) OR if you don’t want to use alcohol you can use 1 tsp. Rum extract
    2 tsp. Baking powder
    1/3 tsp. Baking soda
    2 lbs. All purpose flour (about that much/maybe a little more or less)

In a large bowl, combine oil and sugar and either whip it by hand or kneed with your hands for about 2-3 minutes. Add orange juice and continue to kneed it for a couple more minutes.

In another bowl, mix your alcohol (of your choice), I’ve tasted the ones with rum extract and they’re REALLY good…along with the baking soda. Pour it in the above-mentioned ingredients.

Then add half the quantity of flour as well as the baking powder and kneed some more. Keep adding more flour until the mix does NOT stick to your fingers (more of a dryer consistency). Then let rest for 10-15 minutes. You may see some of the oil coming out of the mixture, don’t worry, just keep softly kneeding. Don’t kneed your dough real hard.

Then shape your cookies in any form you like (usually like an inch wide log, and about 2-3 inches long).

Preheat oven to about 300-325 degrees. Bake cookies for 20-25 minutes or until they look done (brownish in color).

SYRUP:

3 cups sugar
    2 cups water
    ¾ cup honey

Mix all together and bring to a boil for about 5 minutes. There will be foam on the top, just scrap it off. Lower the temperature just above simmer (about a #3). Put about 3-4 cookies at a time in the syrup to coat for about a minute. When you take the cookies out, you sprinkle powdered cinnamon and either crushed pecans/walnuts to the top side of the cookie.

Powdered cinnamon
    Crushed pecans/walnuts
Working...
X