Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greek Baklava by TeresaY

TeresaY - Posted January 22, 2004 08:13 AM

I made this recipe this past weekend and it is awesome!!! My co-worker is from Greece and he translated the recipe into English for me...oh so good!!!

Greek Baklava (AWESOME RECIPE!)

Main Ingredients:
    1-1/2 lb. Thinly sliced walnuts (I used pecans)
    2 lbs filo dough
    3-4 Tbsp. Bread crumbs
    1 tsp. Cinnamon
    1-1/2 cups fresh unsalted butter (land-o-lakes butter)
    1 cup corn oil

Syrup:
    3 cups sugar (coffee mug)
    2 cups water (coffee mug)
    ½ cup corn syrup (kyro) (coffee mug)
    2-3 sticks of cinnamon
    10 cloves (actual dry cloves)
    ½ cup honey

Baste pan with the butter (13x17” pan – deep dish). Put 4 layers of filo dough , butter each one separately just to baste.

Mix together the following mixture: Walnuts (pecans), bread crumbs, and cinnamon.

Sprinkle mix over filo dough. Put one filo baste with butter, then sprinkle with some mixture, and continue this process until you have four (4) filo left. (Approx. half way make sure you press down on the Baklava to make sure it’s tight and not fluffy. Make sure ALL the filo dough is buttered well and no spots are missing the butter. After you’re done with all of this and the top four (4) layers of filo you cut the filo into diamond shapes (or whatever shape you want)…make sure that you pour the remaining butter evenly on top of the Baklava. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes. (When you take out the tray shake it side-by-side…if you see the Baklava move side-to-side fairly easy…that’s when you know it’s cooked). Take Baklava out of the oven and let it completely cool.

Syrup: (Start the syrup after Baklava has completely cooled off) Put all of the ingredients (except honey) in a pot and bring it to a boil and let it boil for 10-15 minutes, until the syrup thickens well. Then pour the honey and when it starts to boil again, take pot off of the stove. Slowly pour the syrup all over the Baklava. When the Baklava cools off again (from the syrup) its ready to eat!!!! Tastes better after the syrup has had a chance to soak in (about 3 hours).

The reason you use a coffee mug for the syrup instead of a regular measuring cup is so their will be more syrup.
Working...
X