X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YOOPERS CABANA BANANA BREAD by Vera

vera
    Posted February 01, 2006 08:00 AM

Every once in a while I run across a recipe that has proved outstanding. This is so with a recipe posted last June 2005 by Yooper. It is Cabana Banana Bread. It's in my oven right now - again! I have a few notes that I will write first and then the recipe.

When you are looking for the yogurt, for some reason the recipe stated "Swiss-style". I have no idea what "Swiss-style yogurt" is so I get regular pineapple yogurt(fruit on the bottom). One thing to look out for though is that National brands are only 6 oz. and store brands are usually 8 oz. If you get a National brand, you are shorting yourself 2 oz of yogurt which is 25%. So for a better price and 8 oz of yogurt, get the store brand. If you like the flavors of bananas, pineapple and coconut, you will love this recipe. When bananas start to go bad on me, I peel them, put them in a baggie and pop into the freezer. You'll need four bananas for this recipe. Just take out of freezer and drain the juice that's in the bag when you thaw them. Also, I don't drain the crushed pineapple, I just put the whole 8 oz. can into the bowl. This recipe makes TWO loaves and the two loaf pans I have are not the same size in height. In order to make sure the same abount of batter is in each one, I take a soupladle and ladle the same amount of scoops into each pan. One time I just eyeballed it and after baking, one bread was done but the other still had to bake more. So this is a fool proof way to make sure both pans are equal if your pans sides are unequal. OK, here goes with my slight changes. Again, thanks Yooper for posting this great recipe.

Cabana Banana Bread (Recipe submitted by Yooper)

1/2 cup butter, softened
    2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
    4 medium size ripe bananas (thawed if frozen)
    4 eggs
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1 cup pineapple yogurt (I don't drain)
    1 8 oz can crushed pineapple (I use Dole)
    1 teas. vanilla
    1/2 teas. coconut extract (don't skip this)
    3 cups flour
    2 teas. baking soda (not powder)
    1/2 teas. salt
    1/2 cup shredded coconut for the tops

Oven at 350 degrees
    Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Beat in bananas and eggs, one at a time. Blend in oil. Mix all remaining ingredients except shredded coconut. Divide batter evenly into two greased loaf pans. Sprinkle coconut evenly over the tops of loaves (I just take a handful for each loaf without measuring). Bake for 50-60 minutes (I bake mine for 1 hour in a 30 inch oven. Maybe a smaller oven would bake faster.) Let cool for 5-10 minutes before removing from pan.
    Hope you enjoy this if you decide to make it.
Working...
X