Crusty Cheese and Herb Pull-Apart Bread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crusty Cheese and Herb Pull-Apart Bread

I thought this turned out pretty. BUT bland? Something was missing. Maybe garlic and more herbs. Or brushed with pesto.
    Heck even jalapenos and cheese!! LOL

Crusty Cheese and Herb Pull-Apart Bread
    Recipe #11372910
    This makes such a yummy loaf - adapted from a recipe in a magazine. Prep time does not include rising time.

7 g dried yeast (1 sachet)
    1 teaspoon sugar
    4 cups bread flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/4 cup powdered milk
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
    2 tablespoons chives, chopped
    100 g cheddar cheese, grated
    milk, to glaze

Combine the yeast, sugar and 1/2 cup of warm water in a small jug or bowl.
    Leave in a warm place until frothy (about ten minutes).
    Put the flour, salt, milk powder and oil in a large bowl or bench mixer.
    Stir to combine and then add the yeast mixture and 1 cup of warm water.
    Mix to a soft dough and then knead for about ten minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
    Put the dough in an oiled bowl and cover loosely with oiled plastic wrap.
    Leave the dough in a warm place for an hour or until doubled in size.
    Punch the dough down and knead for 1 minute.
    Divide in half and out of each half make 10 six cm (2 1/2 inch) flat discs.
    Mix the herbs with the cheese and place approximately 3 teaspoons of the mixture onto ten of the discs.
    Press the remaining 10 discs on top of the cheesey ones.
    Grease a loaf tin (21 x 10. 5 x 6. 5 cm) and stand the discs upright in the prepared tin.
    You will have to squeeze them together to fit them all inches.
    Cover with a clean cloth and leave in a warm place for 40 minutes or until doubled in size.
    Preheat the oven to 200C - 400F.
    Glaze the loaf with a little milk and bake for 30-40 minutes or until brown and crusty and cooked through.

Pics..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/Linajac/pullapartbread1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/Linajac/pullapartbread2.jpg
    When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading. - Paul Hornung

OHMYGOD!!!!!! your sooo bad Lina that looks great!!!!! printing and trying soon, wonder what it was missing? TY!

Comment

It does look delicious. However the herbs used aren't high in flavour. I'd certainly use garlic and perhaps a really old cheddar. Yummy

Comment

Wow that looks awesome!! Beautiful loaf of bread. How much is 100 g's of cheese?

Comment

That really looks good. I am wondering how sundried tomatoes would taste in there? I will be making this one soon. Thanks.
          Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
          He drew a circle that shut me out.
          But love and I had the wit to win,
          We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

Originally posted by luv2bake
            Wow that looks awesome!! Beautiful loaf of bread. How much is 100 g's of cheese?
            Not sure LOL! I believe I used 1 cup.. Coulda used more!

-------------------

livetobake, I think sun dried tomatoes would be awesome!

TY
            When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading. - Paul Hornung

Comment

100g is 3-1/2 ounces

1 cup shredded cheese = 4 ounces

Thank you so much for this recipe, I'm going to make this for supper tonight. My family loves gooey, cheesy bread.
              "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
              -Will Rogers

Comment

Betty, please snap a pic!

Comment

Thanks Betty! I want to see pics, too.

Comment

My loaf is in the pan rising on the stove right now.

I'm taking pics, I like to take pics so that when my goof-ball hubby or son tells me "I've never had that before"; I can say, "yes you have, here is a picture of it!"

Edited to add:

When I post the pics I'll post my recipe, I changed the recipe up a bit to suite my taste.
                    Last edited by BettyR; 07-26-2007, 06:38 PM.
                    -Will Rogers

Comment

Here are the pictures of the Cheesy Herb Bread; first my bread pan was too small and second Lina was right, it makes a showy loaf but even after adding garlic, extra cheese and extra herbs it still didn’t have much taste. It was ok, we ate it but I won’t be making this again.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t36/BettyR_139/CheesyHerbBread001.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t36/BettyR_139/CheesyHerbBread002.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t36/BettyR_139/CheesyHerbBread003.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t36/BettyR_139/CheesyHerbBread004.jpg
                      -Will Rogers

Comment

The pics are great Betty! It sure looks tasty and wonder what it is missing? Maybe herbs to the dough?

Comment

Aww, sorry it was still bland, after all that work. Beautiful pictures, Betty. Thanks for the review, I WAS thinking about trying it today. Sure does LOOK good.

Comment

I don't know what to tell you.

I added minced garlic, extra cheese and extra herbs but the minced garlic doesn't really have time to cook and if you like warm, raw garlic on bland bread then you will like this.

I ate one of the first pieces and told the kids that I really didn't like it; the kids ate it and told me if you put salt on it that it's not too bad; but then my kids will eat just about anything that doesn’t eat them first. Personally I still have heartburn from that one piece that I ate.

I don't know maybe I'm giving up to easily; this seems like a sound idea, there has got to be some way of making this taste right. At the very least I could give it a try with cinnamon sugar between the slices.
                            -Will Rogers

Comment

I'm still looking for something to make today. My bread machine keeps whispering in my ear. LOL

Bread or Pizza?? I have a new pizza pan that still hasn't been broken in, I might find a deep dish pizza dough to try. Hmmmmm.

Comment

Working...
                              X