My Version of Red Velvet Cake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Version of Red Velvet Cake

Publix is wonderful for their baked goods...and everything else. My father in law retired as a baker from Publix. Enough trivia, here is my version of red velvet cake. The frosting is cooked and worth all the trouble.

Cake
    1/2 cup shortening
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    2 eggs, unbeaten
    2 oz. red food coloring
    3 tablespoons cocoa
    2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
    1 cup buttermilk
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon vinegar
    1 teaspoon soda

Make a paste of cocoa and food coloring. Cream shortening with sugar. Add eggs, combine sifted flour with salt. Add alternately with buttermilk and vanilla to creamed mixture. Add cocoa paste. If using electric mixer, remove blades and fold in vinegar and soda. Pour batter in equal portions into 3 - 8 inch cake pans, greased and lined with waxed paper. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.

Frosting

First Mixture
    3 tablespoons flour
    1 cup milk

Second Mixture
    1 cup butter
    1 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla

In a saucepan, add a little milk to flour stirring until all lumps are gone. Add remaining milk. Cook, stirring constantly until thick. Cool, chill in refrigerator until very cool.

Bring butter to room temperature. Add sugar and cream together. Beat until light and fluffy. If using mixture, beat 15-20 minutes or until desired consistency. Add vanilla, combine the 2 mixtures thoroughly. Spread thinly between layers. Use remaining icing to frost top and sides of cake.
Working...
X