Basic Yellow Cake from Scratch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Yellow Cake from Scratch

I made these into cupcakes last weekend to sell for a bakesale I had while out community yard sale was going on. They are very good and moist. I am thinking of using oil in place of the shortening. I used margerine instead of veg shortening last week. But they came out very good. mmmmmmmmm (oh, by the way I sold out in 1 1/2 hours)

Basic Yellow Cake

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
    3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 1/4 cups milk
    1/2 cup vegetable shortening
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    3 large eggs

Preheat oven to 350*F (175*C). Grease and lightly flour a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan (or, two 9 x 1 1/2-inch round pans, or three 8 x 1 1/2-inch round pans). Set aside.
    In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt, mixing well. Add the milk, shortening and vanilla and beat with an electric mixer on medium to medium-high speed for 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl as needed. Add the eggs and continue beating an additional 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pan(s).
    Bake the 13 x 9 x 2-inch cake for 40 to 45 minutes (or the 9-inch cakes for 30 to 35 minutes; the 8-inch cakes for 20 to 25 minutes), or until a wooden pick inserted near center of cake comes out clean, or until cake springs back when touched lightly in the center.
    Cool the 13 x 9 x 2-inch cake on a wire rack. (Cool the 9 or 8-inch cakes on wire racks for 10 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.) Frost as desired.
    Makes 12 to 16 servings.
    www.freewebs.com/auntanniescakes

I am one of 57 million (who did not vote for BO)

Re: Basic Yellow Cake from Scratch

I have not made yellow cake from scratch in years...or I can't remember making it! Thanks for posting this!

Comment

Ritter_woman,

I made your yellow cake today and it’s a really good cake. I made cup cakes out of it and I put way too much batter in the cups. It rose out of the cups and spread into one solid mass on top of the cup cake pan.

I let them cool, turned them out then took some scissors and gave each one a round haircut and frosted them. Even after all of that they were moist and tasty. Thank you for this recipe I’m going to get a lot of mileage out of this one.

Betty
      "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
      -Will Rogers

Comment

how did it taste? was it eggy ?
        I don't want buns of steel. I want buns of cinnamon !!!

Comment

No it is not eggy at all; it tastes like a good homemade yellow cake.

I was very impressed with the soft, silky texture. I have found that a lot of homemade yellow cakes have a course texture reminiscent of cornbread but this cake has a light, soft texture.
          "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
          -Will Rogers

Comment

Working...
          X