Mahoghany Pound Cake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mahoghany Pound Cake

I got this recipe from the now defunct "Hometown Cooking" magazine, and it's now my favorite chocolate pound cake recipe.

Oven 325
    Well greased/floured tube or bundt pan - 10" recommended

1 c butter
    6 eggs
    8 oz sour cream
    2 1/2 c AP flour
    1/2 c baking cocoa (I use Dutch processed and I tend to lightly "pack" cocoa)
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt (not originally called for)
    2 c white sugar
    1 c firmed packed brown sugar (I used light)
    2 tsp vanilla

Sift flour, cocoa, salt and soda and set aside.

Beat butter and gradually add sugars beating until very light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating one minute after each. Scrape bowl frequently. Add the flour mixture alternately with the sour cream, beginning and ending with flour and pour into pan.
    Bake 85-90 minutes until it tests done - I usually look for a cake to just perceptibly begin to pull from sides rather than depend on toothpick. Cool in pan ten minutes before removing to rack to finishing cool.

Dust with powdered sugar. Suggested also were caramel and/or chocolate ice cream topping drizzled over each serving. For me, that would be a bit much unless I had a dollop of French Vanilla ice cream on the side!

Re: Mahoghany Pound Cake

I bet this is delicious. Where do you find the Dutch Cocoa hun? I love Dutch Chocolate!
    Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

Hershey's markets a dutch cocoa. You can usual regular baking cocoa; I just happened to have the dutch the first time I made this and just continued to do so.

Comment

Mmmm, thanks, Mew!

Comment

Working...
        X