X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tammy Wynette's Buttermilk Biscuits by Buckwheat

Buckwheat
    Posted September 11, 2005 11:38 AM

Tried these this morning, and they were good. Only held in fridg for about 4 hours though. Stiil good! Also posting my best biscuit recipe

Tammy Wynette's Buttermilk Biscuits

Ingredients

2 cups - self-rising flour (sifted)
    7/8 cup -buttermilk
    1/4 cup - shorting
    1/4 teaspoon - baking soda

Cut or rub shortening into flour and soda until particles are as fine as coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk and stir with fork. Turn dough onto lightly floured board and knead until smooth. Roll dough out about 1/2-inch thick and cut with floured cutter or juice glass. Place on lightly greased baking sheet and refrigerate till morning. Before serving, pop into preheated 450 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes.

Taught to Tammy by her mother ... Mildred Lee.

MY FAVORITE RICH BISCUITS

2 cups all purpose flour (I use White Lily)
    1 T. BP
    1 t. salt
    3/stick COLD, unsalted butter
    3/4 cup heavy cream

PREHEAT oven to 425, and grease a baking sheet.

Sift together the flour, BP, and salt.
    Cut 5 T. of the butter into bits and using your fingers blend into flour mixture until it looks like coarse meal.
    Add cream and stir with a fork until just combined. DO not over mix.
    Turn out onto a lightly floured board and gently knead for about 3 minutes until it forms a nice dough.
    Pat dough into a 6&1/2 inch round, about 1/2 inch thick.
    Use a 2&1/2 inch cutter to cut out the biscuits and place on baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
    Use scrapes to make more biscuits.
    Melt the remaing butter (1-T.) to brush biscuits.
    Bake in middle of the oven until light, golden brown, about 20 minutes or so.
    This only makes 6 good biscuits, but well worth it. You can double the recipe.
Working...
X