Wacky Chocolate Cake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wacky Chocolate Cake

Boy does this bring back memories of mom making this cake for her "girls". This cake has no eggs in it and we loved to make the wells in the cake for mom Smile

WACKY CHOCOLATE CAKE

2-1/4 cups flour
    1-1/2 cups sugar
    4-1/2 TBS baking cocoa
    1-1/2 tsp baking soda
    3/4 tsp salt

Sift all ingredients in a 13x9x2 cake pan. Make 3 wells in the dry mixture (1 large well and 2 smaller wells). Put 9 TBS oil in large well, 1-1/2 tsp vanilla in small well and 1-1/2 tsp vinegar in the other small well. Pour 1-1/2 cups cold water over everything and mix well with a fork.

Bake 350 25-30 minutes or until cake is done.

LovestoBake
    Posted May 02, 2006 08:41 AM

I remember that one Fatcat. In fact have a recipe for one made in an 8x8-inch pan. Didn't they call those snack cakes or something especially when made in the square pan? You even stir it up in the pan, so you don't even dirty a mixing bowl.

Here's the version that I have:

Wacky Cake

1-1/2 cups sifted flour
    1 cup sugar
    3 tablespoons cocoa powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/3 cup vegetable oil
    1 tablespoon vinegar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cup very cold water

Preheat oven to 350F (I would use 325 for a more level finished cake)Generously butter and lightly dust with flour an 8" square cake pan.

Measure flour into sifter and add sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Sift in a heap into the prepared pan. With a spoon, make three wells in the mound. Into one, pour oil; into the second, vinegar; into the third, vanilla. Then pour the cold water over it all. With a fork, stir the mixture vigorously to blend. Bake at 325 deg. for 25-30 minutes or until cake tests done.

Comment

I just added the first one to my RC account, thanks! saving second now!!

Comment

Working...
      X