Coney Island Hot Dogs with Damn Good Garlic Sauce

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coney Island Hot Dogs with Damn Good Garlic Sauce

This has to be one of the best dogs I've ever had - really! I can't wait to try the sloppy version.

Coney Island Hot Dogs with Damn – Good Garlic Sauce

Sauce

1 small yellow onion, chopped
    2 T. olive oil
    2/3 c. firmly packed chopped garlic
    1 can (14 1/2 ounces) crushed tomatoes
    1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
    1 c. water
    1 1/2 T. chili powder
    1 scant T. packed brown sugar
    1 t. cumin
    1 t. paprika
    1/2 t. kosher salt
    12 ounces ground chuck, cooked and crumbled

Hot Dogs

4 to 6 large white hot dog buns, split but not separated
    4 T. unsalted butter at room temp.
    4 to 6 large hot dogs, grilled
    1 small sweet onion
    Tangy yellow mustard for serving

To make the sauce -

In a skillet, saute the onion in the olive oil over medium-low heat until translucent. Add the garlic and stir one to two minutes, do not brown.

In a large saucepan over medium heat combine the tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, garlic mixture, chili powder, brown sugar, cumin, paprika and salt. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer, continue to simmer about 1 1/2 hours (until thick). Stir in crumbled meat. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and chili powder.

To assemble the hot dogs –

Heat a large skillet over medium heat, butter the buns and toast until golden. Add hot dogs to buns, spoon sauce and garnish with onion and mustard.

Variation –

Damn – Good Sloppy Joe

Cook the sauce as described above using 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck, simmer long enough to spread on a sandwich.

From Everything Tastes Better With Garlic

My Pic -

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/sltrax/Coneydog2.jpg
    Last edited by fatkat; 12-28-2006, 08:51 AM.

[QUOTE=Bean]This has to be one of the best dogs I've ever had - really! I can't wait to try the sloppy version.

[/QUOTE]

I absolutely agree....wonderful!!! One of the best I have ever had.

Here is my pic. I did not butter/brown my bun and this is before I added onions and mustard.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g176/shadow-66/cooking/maindish/Picture1236.jpg

Comment

Yummy pic shadow! This recipe is a keeper for sure. This would be great football party food!

Comment

Lovely pictures ~ we love coney sauce on our dogs. I have so many recipes that I wanted to try before the end of summer. I will add this one to my list too

Comment

OMG! those pic's look yummy!!!!!! this is next on my to try I am a coney freak but we are over due for sloppy joes. hubby made chili w/ hamburger yesterday I had thawing for the joes

Thanks!!!!

Comment

Wish, you will LOVE this recipe and it will be excellent as Sloppy's!

Comment

You will love this wish!! Bean is right, will be great as sloppy joes.

I have a tiny bit left I am having for lunch..I cannot wait!

Comment

I have a lot left because it's just the 2 of us. Maybe for dinner or freeze it. I bet it would be great to add to a pot of chili too!

Comment

[QUOTE=Bean]I have a lot left because it's just the 2 of us. Maybe for dinner or freeze it. I bet it would be great to add to a pot of chili too! [/QUOTE]

It will freeze well and I think it would be great in chili! Kinda wish I have more left ...LOL

Comment

alright alright.. I'll make it this week looks great girls!
                    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Comment

Your pictures look very yummy. It's a shame DH wouldn't eat it. I'm recipe limited.

Comment

This sounds really good.. do you use the minced garlic in a jar I hope?

I have so many coney dog recipes it's not funny.. I love them all.. my favorite is a Detroit style.. it's not really 100% Detroit-like, but it's the closest I've come to getting one again.. one of the things I miss about Michigan.. sigh..

Comment

Hey Steve, I used real garlic and it took a lot! LOL

We had the leftovers tonight & can't say enough about this recipe. Try it, you'll like it!

Comment

I have this saved off to try, I'm sure I would..

Thanks about clearing up the garlic question.. I almost never buy the minced in the jar, it's not quite as 'potent' to me, but wasn't sure, since this called for so much.. now one more question.. is one head enough? 2?

Comment

Steve, I went through about 3 or 4 heads with all the recipes I made on Sunday. LOL

Go ahead and pick up 2!

Comment

Working...
                              X