• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CREAMY MEAT BALLS posted by CharleneG

CREAMY MEAT BALLS posted by CharleneG

1 pound ground beef
    cup chopped onion
    cup soft bread crumbs (I use a good wheat bread run
    through a food processor to make medium-fine crumbs)
    1 cup sour cream (divided use)
    1 tsp. salt and a little pepper
    tsp. ground allspice
    3 Tbsp. Oil (optional)
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    Combine meat, onion, allspice, bread crumbs, cup sour cream, salt and pepper. Mix; shape into meatballs about 2 inches in diameter and brown in oil and drain on paper towels. Combine the remaining cup sour cream and the mushroom soup and add just a pinch of ground allspice and mix well. Pour over the meatballs and cover and bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove cover and bake 10 minutes longer.
    MICROWAVE DIRECTIONS: These work extremely well!
    Shape meat into meatballs and place in sprayed, microwave safe dish, cover and cook on high for 10 minutes per pound, stopping at 5 minutes to turn meatballs over in juice. Let stand for a few minutes to reabsorb some of the juice. Remove the meatballs from the dish and mix the soup/sour cream sauce thoroughly with the juice. Return meatballs to dish and pour some sauce over top. Cover and microwave about 8-10 minutes, or continue with oven directions. I use the microwave to precook the meatballs and the oven to finish them. Works great.
    OVEN DIRECTIONS: To precook the meatballs in the oven, roll them into the size and shape you want, place on a foil lined cookie sheet and bake for about 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees, then place them in a casserole dish with the sauce and bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes covered, then uncover and bake 10 minutes longer.

Re: CREAMY MEAT BALLS posted by CharleneG

bumped on 4-19-10!

Comment

Wondering if these meatballs would taste good in
      tomato (spagetti) sauce?

Or maybe with a side of rice?
      "Everyone's a star and deserves the right to twinkle"

Comment

I've never tried these particular meatballs in a tomato based sauce. They probably would be pretty good, but the combo of the allspice in the meatballs and the sour cream and mushroom soup just tastes so great that I never thought about changing them. I have served them with rice many times, but the noodles are my favorite. I almost made them with orzo last night, but I had a package of bow ties that I needed to use up.

Comment

I know the amount will vary, however, how many normal sized
          meatballs can you get from this recipe?

I'm thinking approx 12

Comment

I generally get 12 meatballs out of a pound of ground beef.

Comment

Made this tonight. Keeper recipe. I would tweek it just a bit with a little beef broth to thin out the cream of mush soup and add a little more flavor.
              Last edited by Ro-Ro; 04-30-2010, 08:17 AM. Reason: spelling errors, as usual for me!

Comment

Bumping! It's what's for dinner on 4-28-2013 !

Comment

Working...
                X