X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heirloom Key Lime Pie by Kevin, The BBQGURU

Kevin, The BBQGURU
    Posted March 02, 2004 06:16 PM

Here is the one that won me 1st Place in the Indiana State BBQ Championship. Not only won, but won with a perfect score!

This is pretty much all over the Internet.....I think they call it Jesse's Heirloom Pie. Supposedly it is a very old recipe from Key West. So old that they hadn't invented condensed milk! It is the only recipe I have ever seen that calls for NO condensed milk.

Very, very simple and in this case simple is better.

PLEASE use REAL key limes! Also, beware, it will come out yellow! Every Key Lime Pie and Key Lime juice you see has been colored with food die. The juice from the limes has NO color, so the eggs give it the yellow color. Matter of fact, I personally like using lemons instead.

Enjoy!!

Heirloom Key Lime Pie (Pies)

5 large Egg(s)
    3/4 cup Sugar
    1/3 cup Key lime juice
    1 tablespoon Butter
    1/4 cup Sugar
    1 baked Pie shell(s), 9"

10-12 Key Limes, juiced will equal 1/3 cup...that is about 1 lb. of the little jewels.
    This is excellent with a graham cracker crust.

Separate eggs into 3 bowls as follows.....5 yolks in one bowl, 2 whites in one bowl and 3 whites in last bowl.
    Cream egg yolks, add 3/4 cup sugar and lime juice and mix thoroughly.
    Cook over low heat until thick. Add butter and remove from heat.
    Let cool slightly.
    Beat the 2 egg whites until stiff, then fold in cooled lime mixture.
    Fill pie shell with this mixture.
    Beat remaining 3 egg whites until stiff. Beat in 1/4 cup sugar.
    Pile meringue on top of pie and bake at 325 for 15 minutes.

Sigh....

I miss Kevin. I made a copy of this recipe eons ago. He used to comtribute some killer recieps.

Colleen

Comment

I have a wonderful recipe for Key Lime Pie, but this looks so different than mine and I cannot wait to try this recipe!!!

I miss Kevin also

Comment

Re: Heirloom Key Lime Pie by Kevin, The BBQGURU

I usually leave dead posts alone but I need to correct the recipe.

In full:

Jessie's Story from a Hospice Nurse:
        Several years ago I treated a young man from Key West, Florida who was dying of AIDS. A couple of weeks before he died, he gave me his 75 year old family recipe for Key Lime Pie. He explained that most Key Lime Pie recipes use condensed milk. Even restaurants in Key West serve Key Lime Pie made with condensed milk. Jessie was disdainful of this version. His family recipe, passed from generation to generation, does not used condensed milk. Jessie claimed it is the only authentic Key Lime Pie recipe. So in memory of Jessie, I offer it to you.

Please keep story with Jessie's recipe. If you use it and like it if you pass it on make sure you include Jessie's tale. Thanks.

6 servings

INGREDIENTS

5 eggs, separated
        3/4 cup sugar
        1/3 cup key lime juice
        1 tbsp. butter
        1/4 cup sugar, for meringue
        1 baked pie shell, 9 inches
        INSTRUCTIONS

Separate eggs into three bowls - 5 yolks in one bowl, 2 egg whites in another, and 3 egg whites in the third. This is the most important step in the whole operation.

Cream egg yolks, add 3/4 cup sugar and lime juice and mix thoroughly. Cook over low heat until thick, add butter and remove from heat. Let cool slightly.

Meanwhile beat two egg whites until stiff, then fold into cooled lime mixture. Fill baked 9 inch pie shell.

Beat other whites until stiff. Beat in 1/4 cup sugar. Pile meringue on top of lime filling and bake at 325F for 15 minutes.

PLEASE REMEMBER TO INCLUDE JESSIE'S STORY in honor of him and those who have died.

If you search Jessie's Key Lime Pie or Jessie's Heirloom Key Lime Pie you will find it attached.

Comment

Working...
        X