• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garlic Chicken by Lina

Lina
    Posted April 12, 2006 05:23 AM

This ROCKED! DH said it's a keeper!

Garlic Chicken

Has a mellow garlic flavored herb sauce for the chicken. Goes great with either mashed potatoes or rice.

4 servings
    29 minutes 15 mins prep

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound)
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    40 cloves garlic (cut any large cloves in half)
    1 tablespoon oil
    1/2 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
    1/2 cup chicken broth
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    4 teaspoons flour
    2 tablespoons dry white wine or chicken broth

1. Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper to taste.

2. Brown chicken and garlic in hot oil in a large saute pan.

3. Add wine, broth, lemon juice, and spices.

4. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer 6-8 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

5. Remove chicken and garlic from pan and keep warm.

6. Mix together remaining wine with the flour and mix into the pan juices, stirring briskly.

7. Bring to a boil and cook until thickened.

8. Serve sauce with chicken and garlic.

9. Mashed potatoes or rice may be served, if desired.

Cant wait to try this! I remember all who made it loved it...thanks saving!

Comment

I need to make this aagin. Great recipe! :)

Pic -

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/sltrax/garck.jpg

Comment

I am thinking about making this tonight... 40 cloves of garlic.?? OKAY, I'm game.
        Going to stop at store... Don't have that many garlic cloves in house... (Vampires have stopped coming over)
        Tessa

Comment

Tessa, yes 40 cloves, but wear rubber gloves when slicing them or you'll never you'll be sorry. I like them sliced thin that's why I say that. LOL

This recipe is so good, I think I need to make it again and soon. Next time with mashed potaotes though.

Comment

katmando
            Posted September 26, 2005 07:25 AM

Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic and Grilled Radicchio Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2002

1 (4-pound) chicken, rinsed and patted dry
            3 tablespoons olive oil
            1 teaspoon salt
            1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
            2 fresh parsley sprigs
            1 fresh rosemary sprig
            1 fresh thyme sprig
            1 bay leaf
            40 garlic cloves, unpeeled (from 3 to 4 heads of garlic)
            1 cup chopped celery
            1/2 cup dry white wine
            French bread, optional accompaniment
            Grilled Radiccio:
            2 heads radicchio, quartered
            3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
            2 tablespoons olive oil
            Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
            Rub the cavity and outside of the chicken with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, and season with the salt and pepper. Place the parsley, rosemary, thyme and bay leaf inside the chicken. Tie the legs together with kitchen string and fold the wings under bird.
            In a large Dutch oven or small heavy roasting pan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the chicken and cook, turning carefully to avoid tearing the skin, until golden brown on all sides, about 8 minutes.
            Remove from the heat and transfer the chicken to a large plate. Add the garlic cloves and celery to the pan. Return the chicken to the pan, breast side up, and pour the white wine over the top. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and then top with a lid to create an airtight seal. Bake for 1 1/2 hours without removing the cover.
            For the radicchio: Preheat a grill or grill pan. Toss the radicchio wedges with the balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Arrange in a single layer on the grill and cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
            Remove the chicken from the oven and transfer the chicken to a platter and let rest for 10 minutes before carving. Spoon the pan juices and whole garlic cloves over each portion of chicken, and pass the remaining juices and garlic tableside with French bread for dipping.
            Remove the radicchio from the grill and serve hot or at room temperature.

Comment

Sugar Pie South
              Posted September 26, 2005 08:07 PM

I've made this numerous times and we love it. I used the already-peeled whole cloves in the jar for this recipe.

Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic

3 whole heads of garlic, about 40 cloves
              2 (3˝ lb.) chickens, cut into eighths
              Kosher salt
              Freshly ground black pepper
              1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
              2 Tbsp. good olive oil
              3 Tbsp. Cognac, divided
              1˝ cups dry white wine (I've used chix broth before)
              1 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves (1 tsp. dry)
              2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
              2 Tbsp. heavy cream

Separate the cloves of garlic and drop them into a pot of boiling water for 60 seconds. Drain and peel garlic; set aside.

Dry the chicken w/ paper towels. Season liberally w/ salt & pepper on both sides. Heat the butter and oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over med-high heat. In batches, sauté chicken in the fat, skin side down first, until nicely browned, about 3-5 minutes on each side. Turn over w/ spatula or tongs; do not pierce skin w/ fork. If the fat is burning, turn heat down to medium. When a batch is done, transfer to a plate and continue to sauté all the chicken in batches. Remove the last chicken to the plate. Add all the garlic cloves to the pot. Lower heat and sauté for 5-10 minutes, turning often until evenly browned. Add 2 Tbsp. of the cognac and the wine to the garlic, return to a boil, scraping the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Return the chicken to the pot with the juice and sprinkle chicken w/ thyme leaves. Cover and simmer over the lowest heat for about 30 minutes, or until chicken is tender.

Remove the chicken to a platter, cover w/ foil to keep warm. In a small bowl, whisk together ˝ cup of the sauce and the flour, and then whisk this back into the sauce in the pot. Raise the heat, add the remaining Tbsp. of Cognac, and the cream. Boil for 3 minutes. Taste sauce and adjust for salt and pepper to taste; it is important for the sauce to be very flavorful because chicken tends to be bland. Pour the sauce and the garlic cloves over the chicken and serve hot.

Reheats well.

--Ina Garten, "Barefoot in Paris" cookbook

Comment

ok.. we had this for dinner.. 9 STARS!!!!
                I used the chicken tenders that I had in the frig.. and I seasoned them with salt/pepper/ and flour.. I used 3 large heads of garlic.(not sure how many cloves I finally had in the pan) At first I thought it was too much, but it wasn't~ served it with pilaf.
                Next time I don't think I would thicken the sauce as much..
                DH couldn't thank me enough for cooking such a great meal since it was so hot and humid here. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I wasn't slaving over a stove too long.
                Thanks Lina for a great recipe!
                Tessa

Comment

ok got my printer going....I'm gonna have to try this one!

Comment

[QUOTE=Tessa]ok.. we had this for dinner.. 9 STARS!!!!
                    I used the chicken tenders that I had in the frig.. and I seasoned them with salt/pepper/ and flour.. I used 3 large heads of garlic.(not sure how many cloves I finally had in the pan) At first I thought it was too much, but it wasn't~ served it with pilaf.
                    Next time I don't think I would thicken the sauce as much..
                    DH couldn't thank me enough for cooking such a great meal since it was so hot and humid here. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I wasn't slaving over a stove too long.
                    Thanks Lina for a great recipe![/QUOTE]

Glad you liked!! I'm making it for dinner tonight. DH can't get enough of this! :)
                    When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading. - Paul Hornung

Comment

Bump for Chefkel.. This the recipe you were looking for?
                      When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading. - Paul Hornung

Comment

Here is my pic of Lina's Garlic Chicken :)

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g176/shadow-66/cooking/maindish/Picture579.jpg

I had mine on mashed taters...mmmnnn

Comment

Those pics look really good, Bean and Shadow...yum.

Comment

It is REALLY good - over rice or mashed potatoes. Bad thing is you can't stop eating it! Leftovers are excellent heated in a saucepan the next day. :)

Comment

i'll take your advice and serve over mashies tonight.

edited to add: :)
                              Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Comment

Working...
                              X