• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary Solomon's Rolled Stuffed Cabbage

Gary Solomon
    Posted September 13, 2005 09:37 AM

Gary Solomon's Rolled Stuffed Cabbage
    Get the gas pills ready! Why do you think the Irish call them " Bubble And Squeak". Then again, what's a little flatulence between friends?

All kidding aside, this is the best rolled stuffed cabbage recipe we have ever come across. "This stuffed cabbage tastes better than an Jewish delicatessen I have ever eaten at!" said Victor and Sarah Holguin-Cooper City, Florida.

Our recipe combines a delicious beef and pork filling. It is slowly cooked in a sweet and sour gravy until just tender.

" Words cannot describe the flavors that I experienced dancing in my mouth!" said my kitchen assistant.

One key ingredient that you need to make is TheRecipeExchange.com's Homemade Tomato Sauce. Although some recipes call for simply tomato juice we have found the magic is created from the combination of our rich sauce with the other cooking liquids. Freeze any extra sauce and use it with our Chicken Parmagiana recipe or on spaghetti. Serve the rolled stuffed cabbage with our Homemade Mashed Potatoes. Make sure your mashed potatoes have a well in them so you can pour that juice gravy right into them. You will never find a Rolled Stuffed Cabbage recipe this tasty.
    We promise.
    Ingredients:
    Cabbage-1 dark leaf and heavy.
    Eggs-2.
    Milk- 1/2 cup.
    Onion- 1/2 cup finely chopped.
    Kosher Salt-2 teaspoons.
    Black pepper- 1/4 teaspoon.
    Ground Beef-1 pound.
    Ground Pork-1 pound.
    Basmati Rice-2 cups cooked.
    Deliciouscookie.com's Homemade Tomato Sauce-3 cups.
    Brown Sugar-3 tablespoons.
    Lemon Juice-2 tablespoons.
    Worcestershire Sauce-2 teaspoons.

Instructions:

Cook the rice and set aside to cool. In a large bowl mix together until well blended the eggs, rice, milk, onion, salt-1 teaspoon, pepper, beef and pork. Refrigerate for 1/2 hour. This will firm up the mixture and make easier to form balls.

In a large pot drop in a steamer basket and cover with lid. Leaving the cabbage whole, cut out the stem portion with a knife. Cut as deeply in to the heart as possible. While you are steaming the entire cabbage this procedure will allow you to peel each whole cabbage leaf off without struggling with it being attached to the stem. Place the whole cabbage in to the steamer pot. Every few minutes peel back a leaf and set the leaf aside on a paper towel. Make sure that each leaf is soft enough so that it will be able to be rolled without cracking. Continue until 3/4 of the cabbage has been peeled. You should have about 25 leaves.

Allow to cool.

In a separate bowl combine the warm tomato sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce and salt-1 teaspoon. Set aside.

Now let's roll the cabbage. Grab a small handful of the meat stuffing and form into an ball. Don't use too much filling or you will not be able to complete a sealed roll. Place the meat in the cabbage leaf narrow side closest to you. Begin rolling away from you towards the outside of the leaf tucking in the edges along the way. When you have completed rolling the cabbage place them in a large pot alternating layers of cabbage with layers of sauce. Place the cabbage in snuggly to avoid opening up in the cooking process.

Cover and cook on a low medium flame for about 3 1/2 hours. Baste frequently. Leaves should be tender. Adjust gravy with salt and pepper to taste.

Article courtesy of Gary Solomon and www.TheRecipeExchange.com

Gary Solomon

www.TheRecipeExchange.com

kiop
    Posted October 20, 2005 04:02 PM

My stuffed cabbage meat always turns out hard. My ma's used to just fall apart, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I use beef only, no pork. Maybe over-working the mixture?

BTW.. on foodnetworks' 'calling all cooks' there once was an episode where this woman made stuffed cabbage with an 'alternate' sauce, apparently some of their family couldn't handle tomatoes.. I've made it many times, it's an excellant variation --

Stuffed Cabbage - Alternate Sauce Recipe
    1 can evaporated milk
    3 TBS butter
    juice of 1 lemon
    salt/pepper to taste

Use in place of common tomato-based sauce.

Comment

Gary Solomon
      Posted March 06, 2006 09:35 AM

Joannie Locricchio's Tomato Sauce

While working at Sag Harbor Sportswear in New York City I used to sample a variety of foods. We had a culturally diverse crowd. Claire from Jamaica "maaan", would bring in lovely curry's and exotic fish dishes. Marina who's family owned Greek restaurants used to treat us to Baklava and fresh Feta Cheese with plump red ripe tomatoes.

Then there was Joannie. A sweet Italian woman who could cook beyond belief. She packed a lunch every day with her famous Tomato Sauce and pasta. People would swarm around her just to get a taste.

One day I challenged her to a " Tomato Sauce Cook-off ". I lost of course, hands down! I persisted with the challenge numerous times but was always voted as second rate. Finally I begged Joannie for her very special Tomato Sauce recipe.

It is the only meat based sauce that we use for our recipes at deliciouscookies.com. Thank you Joannie for sharing your incredible secret recipe with us! We hope that in the future you will share other recipes with our readers. Perhaps Joannie would consider being our Italian food consultant on our new forum at therecipeexchange.com?

Ingredients:
      Italian Peeled Tomatoes- 2 pound can.
      Hunts Tomato Paste-1 small can.
      Hunt's Tomato Sauce-1 small can.
      Olive Oil-6 Tablespoons.
      Hot Red Pepper Flakes-a dash.
      Water- 1/2 blender full.
      Onion-1 medium chopped.
      Meatballs-8 to 10.
      Small Pork Spare Ribs- 1/2 a rack.
      Sweet Italian Sausage-1 pound.
      Butter-1 tablespoon.
      Pepper- 3/4 teaspoon.
      Salt-2 teaspoons.
      Fresh Parsley-2 tablespoons.
      Garlic Salt-2 teaspoons.
      Basil-2 teaspoons.
      Oregano- 1/2 teaspoon.

Instructions-
      In a large pot brown the meatballs, sausage and pork ribs on a medium high flame. Set aside. Add the onions into the pot and cook on a medium flame until translucent. Pour the Italian Peeled Tomatoes into a blender. Puree. Pour the tomatoes into the pot with the onions and start layering in other the ingredients. Add the tomato sauce, hot pepper flakes, water, salt, pepper, sugar, parsley, garlic salt, basil and oregano. Add the meatballs, ribs and sausage back into the pot. Bring to a boil. Lower flame to medium and continue cooking uncovered for 1 1/2 hours. After the 1 1/2 hours add the tomato paste and a little water. Continue cooking for another 2 to 3 hours. After the 2-3 hour period season with salt and pepper if necessary. Add the butter into the sauce. Serve with your favorite pasta.

Abundanza!

Recipe courtesy of www.RecipeExchange.com

Gary Solomon

www.TheRecipeExchange.com

Comment

Gary Solomon
        Posted March 06, 2006 09:38 AM

Gary Solomon's Spaghetti Sauce (Marinara).
        1 lg. onion, chopped
        2 cloves garlic, minced
        1 lg. can crushed tomatoes
        1/2 sm. can tomato paste
        1/2 c. water
        2 T. olive oil
        parsley, basil, oregano salt & pepper-to taste

Saute onions in olive oil in small pot until tender. Add in all other ingredients. Bring to boil and then simmer for 30 minutes. Stir to prevent sticking. Use for lasagna, manicotti, meatballs, sausage, fish and vegetable dishes.

Courtesy of www.garysolomon.com

Comment

Working...
        X