Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy Spanish Rice Main Dish by CharleneG

CharleneG - Posted February 06, 2004 09:31 AM

This is an old family recipe that I've been making forever. I haven't made it in months and months and we had it last night and it just tasted so good that I wanted to share it with you. It's one of the only things I use Minute Rice for and it just works perfectly. Start to finish, about 20 minutes from heating up the pan to putting it on the plate!

SPANISH RICE

1 lb. ground beef
    1 onion, chopped
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Garlic powder to taste
    1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
    1 can (8 oz. or so) sliced olives, drained
    12 oz. water
    1 cup Minute Rice
    1 Tbsp. French's yellow mustard
    About cup chopped roasted red bell pepper (fresh or from a jar), optional

Brown crumbled ground beef with chopped onion, seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Cook until browned and onion is softened. Add the tomato sauce, the water, olives, roasted red pepper (if using) and mustard to the meat. Bring to a low boil, add the Minute Rice, stir to mix thoroughly. Turn off heat. Cover and let stand for 5-10 minutes until liquid is absorbed. Serve. Recipe can easily be doubled or tripled.

This sounds yummy. Do you use black olives, or green? I'm going to attempt it over the weekend.
    Debi.

Comment

Re: Easy Spanish Rice Main Dish by CharleneG

Bumping for Muzette for hamburger ideas.

Lately, I've been adding about 1/2 tsp ground cumin to the mixture. It's soooo easy, and so good.

Comment

You know what? I really love cooking. I wanted to learn even if I only read it. Thanks for the recipe. I try this at home. :D
        Marthas Vineyard Weddings | Nantucket Weddings

Comment

I'm bumping this up because it's what's for dinner on 12-16-2013. I've made a few small changes to the original recipe, here's how I make it now:

SPANISH RICE

1 lb. ground beef
          1 onion, chopped
          Salt and pepper to taste
          to 1 tsp. ground cumin
          Garlic powder to taste (you can use fresh minced garlic if desired
          1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
          1 can (8 oz. or so) sliced olives, drained
          12 oz. water
          1 cup Minute Rice
          1 Tbsp. French's yellow mustard
          Chopped roasted red bell pepper (fresh or from a jar), optional

Brown crumbled ground beef with chopped onion, garlic or garlic powder, seasoned with salt, pepper and cumin to taste. Cook until meat is browned and onion is softened. Add the tomato sauce, the water, olives, roasted red pepper (if using) and mustard to the meat. Bring to a low boil, add the Minute Rice, stir to mix thoroughly. Cover and let stand for 5-10 minutes off the heat until liquid is absorbed. Serve. Recipe can easily be doubled or tripled.

Comment

This is a lot like I make mine.Except instead of cumin I use chili powder & when i'm browning the burger & onion,I add green bell pepper.I haven't added mustard but it sounds like it would be really good so I may try it next time.Thank u Charlene for sharing all of your recipes w/us! :)

Comment

Working...
            X