Meatless Enchiladas by Annora

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meatless Enchiladas by Annora

This is an impressive And delicious recipe.

Meatless Enchiladas

1-1/2 lbs tofu

Freeze, thaw or squeeze dry tofu. Press with paper towels to get all the liquid out of it. Now the tofu will have the texture and bite of meat.

Have ready: 12 corn or flour tortillas

TOMATO SAUCE

Saute together:
    2 Tbsp oil
    1 large chopped onion
    3 cloves garlic minced.

When onions are transparent, stir in 2 (15-oz) cans of tomato sauce
    2 cups of water or vegetable stock (I prefer water)
    3-6 Tbsp chili powder (to taste)
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp cumin.

Simmer for 20 minutes.

While the sauce is simmering, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and whip together the following:
    3 Tbsp soy sauce
    1 Tbsp peanut butter
    2 tsp onion power
    1 tsp cumin

Pour this over the prepared tofu and use your fingers to evenly squeeze this into the tofu. I did this like I was squeezing butter into flour, running my fingers through it.

These steps can be done ahead of time and saved in the fridge.

Spead a cookie sheet with 2 Tbsp oil.

Lay the tofu pieces evenly over the cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees pre-heated oven. The tofu will now taste like chili meat.

Pour a thin layer of tomato sauce into a 9 x 13 pan. Dunk a tortilla in the sauce and then lay it on a plate. Lay about 1/2 cup of tofu filling across the tortilla and roll it up. Repeat for the rest of the tortillas. Arrange the rolled up tortillas in the pan and cover with the rest of the tomato sauce. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until bubbling. Serve with a dollop of cilantro and sour cream.

I know this sounds like a lot of work and the first time you make it, it is. But this is a favorite of my meat-eating family and is packed with nutrition.

Per serving:

336 calories, protein 14 grams, carbs 34 and fat grams 14. YOu can change that by using less oil to coat the pan and less oil to sauce the onions.

Edited for credits: Tofu Cookery by Louise Hagler. Revised edition 1983.
Working...
X