Italian Rice Balls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Italian Rice Balls

These are so good. Needs to be seasoned more and extra basil would be yumm.

Italian Rice Balls

20-24 balls, approx 1 hours 1 hours prep

2 eggs
    1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
    1 tablespoon dried basil or dried parsley
    1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 1/4 cups chicken broth or water
    1 cup uncooked white rice
    1 1/2 cups dried breadcrumbs
    2 cups olive oil or vegetable oil
    1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, in cubes (optional)

In a bowl whisk together the eggs, Parmesan cheese, basil or parsley (I prefer basil), pepper, and salt; cover and refrigerate.
    Pour the chicken broth (or water and a teaspoon of salt) into a large saucepan and bring to a boil; stir in the rice and reduce the heat to low.
    Cook the rice until liquid is almost absorbed, about 15 to 17 minutes.
    Remove from heat and gradually pour in egg mixture, continually stirring rapidly to coat the surface of the rice and prevent the egg from scrambling; allow rice mixture to cool in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
    Pour bread crumbs into a shallow dish.
    Dampen your hands with water and create 1-inch balls from the rice mixture, then coat each one with bread crumbs.
    In a small, deep skillet, heat enough oil to cover the rice balls to an adequate frying temperature (350 degrees F) so that a piece of rice from the mixture actively sizzles when dropped in; alternately, a deep fryer may be used.
    Fry the rice balls 4 to 6 at a time, turning as needed to ensure even browning.
    Drain on paper towels, then serve warm as is or with a bit of marinara sauce.
    Another nice touch you can use with these is to put a small cube of mozzarella cheese in the middle of each rice ball!

Pic.. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/Linajac/riceballs.jpg
    When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading. - Paul Hornung

Thanks lina, you have some of the best recipes:)

LMK
    I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Comment

Wow, they look great! Cannot wait to try!
      TY for sharing and awesome pic! :)

Comment

[QUOTE=shadow]Wow, they look great! Cannot wait to try!
        TY for sharing and awesome pic! :)[/QUOTE]

They do look great! Can't wait to try too! Let's pick a day! ;) :D

Comment

[QUOTE=Bean]They do look great! Can't wait to try too! Let's pick a day! ;) :D[/QUOTE]

Let me know, I am good any day next week, but you know how I am at deep frying but I am going to try again! LOL

Comment

Those look delish! Definetely on my to try list!

Comment

Those look wonderful. :)

Comment

[QUOTE=shadow]Let me know, I am good any day next week, but you know how I am at deep frying but I am going to try again! LOL[/QUOTE]

Ok - I'll email ya to set up a day. :)

Comment

Outstanding! I used a jar marinara and added some fresh basil form the garden. On the menu again tonight! Killer recipe! TY :)

My Pic -

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/sltrax/Riceballs.jpg

Comment

Great pic!! Glad you liked. :)
                    When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading. - Paul Hornung

Comment

Those look wonderful. Wish I had a plate now, drooling! :)

Comment

[QUOTE=luv2bake]Those look wonderful. Wish I had a plate now, drooling! :)[/QUOTE]

Exactly!!!

Comment

Oh, my gosh. Those look wonderful!!! And what a beautiful presentation too! I will have to put these on my "To try" list!
                          Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
                          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Wow... they look YUMMY. I wonder what would happen if you skipped the breaded coating before frying... bread is hard for me... (no gluten) and the crumbs I can use aren't so good.

Anyone ever try them w/o the bread crumb coating?
                            "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

TY everyone. :) They were just as good last night! LOL

DH wants jalapenos and pepper-jack in the next batch. :D

Luvs2eat, I don't know how they would work without the bread crumbs. Maybe try it and bake them instead? Otherwise I'm sure they would fall apart in the hot oil.

Comment

Working...
                              X