Chiles Rellenos With Garlic Shrimp (Chicken) And Deviled Nuts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chiles Rellenos With Garlic Shrimp (Chicken) And Deviled Nuts

Nuisance posted this in To Try and I made it Friday and Saturday nights (so I am moving it to T&T). It was outstanding, a bit time consuming but worth it! DH’s comments both nights, “This is one of the best dinners EVER!” :)

Thanks Nu, you have been coming up with some great recipes! In fact I just ordered this cookbook the other day! ;) :D

I used chicken in place of the shrimp, added 4 t. lemon juice (no salt) in the Cream Fraiche (let sit on the counter 24 hours and then fridge) and also doubled the onion broth (used less pepper water) for the Red Chile Sauce. Keep checking the Deviled Nuts (they bake in about 15 minutes – great for munching too).

Chiles Rellenos With Garlic Shrimp And Deviled Nuts

This Is From "the Texas Cowboy Kitchen" Cookbook I Got From Sams, That The Bread And Butter Jalapeno Recipe Was In.

Chiles Rellenos With Garlic Shrimp And Deviled Nuts

4 Servings

4 Poblano Chiles
    3 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
    1 White Onion, Finely Chopped
    1 Jalapeno, Seeded And Minced
    2 Medium Tomatoes, Chopped
    8-10 Cloves Garlic, Minced
    1 Lb. Medium Shrimp, Peeled, Deveined, And Coarsely Chopped
    1/2 Cup Red Chile Sauce (recipe Follows)
    1/2 Cup Chopped Cilantro Leaves
    1 Cup Deviled Nuts (recipe Follows)
    2 Cups Grated Monterrey Jack Cheese
    1-1/2 Cups Texas Pico (recipe Follows)
    1/2 Cup Creme Fraiche (recipe Follows)

Preheat Oven To 500° F. Place The Poblano Chiles On A Lightly Greased Baking Sheet And Brush Lightly On All Sides With 1 Tbsp Veg. Oil. Place The Sheet In The Oven And Allow The Chiles To Blister, Turning Until Blackened On All Sides. Remove From The Oven And Transfer Chiles To A Glass Bowl. Cover With A Dry Dish Towel And allow To Cool. When The Chiles Are Cooled, Carefully Slit Open Each One And Remove The Seeds And Membrane. Set Aside.

Heat The Remaining 2 Tbsp Of Oil In A Saute Pan Over Med-high Heat. Saute The Onion, Jalapeno, Tomatoes And Garlic For About 30 Seconds, Then Add The Shrimp, Stir Well, And Saute For 1 Minute. Add The Chile Sauce And Cook For 1 Minute. Stirring Occasionally. Remove From Heat And Cool. When The Mixture Is Cool, Add The Cilantro, Deviled Nuts And 1 Cup Of Grated Cheese And Mix Well.

Adjust The Oven Temperature To 350° F. On A Foil-lined Baking Sheet, Place The Roasted Chiles, Slit Side Up. Stuff Each Of The Chiles With Shrimp Mixture. Top With The Remaining Cheese And Bake For 15-20 Minutes Or Until The Mixture Is Thoroughly Heated And The Cheese Is Beginning To Brown On Top. Serve With Toppings Of Texas Pico And Creme Fraiche.

------------------------------------------------------

Red Chile Sauce
    16 Dried Ancho Chile Peppers, About 1/2 Pound
    6 Cups Water
    1/3 Cup White Wine
    1/2 White Onion, Peeled And Diced
    5 Cloves Garlic, Minced
    5 Tsp Packed Light Brown Sugar
    2 Tbsp Ground Cumin
    2 Tbsp Honey
    Kosher Salt And Freshly Ground Pepper To Taste

Rinse The Chiles To Remove Any Dirt. Slit Each Chile With Sharp Knife And Remove And Discard The Seeds And Stem. Place The Pepper In A Large Saucepan And Cover With Water By 1 Inch. Bring To Boil Over High Heat, Then Reduce The Heat And Simmer For About 15 Minutes. The Peppers Should Be Soft And Have Absorbed Some Liquid. When Cooked, Remove The Pan From The Heat And Set Aside Without Draining.
    While The Peppers Are Cooking, Combine The Wine, Onion, Garlic, Brown Sugar, Cumin, And Honey In A Small Saucepan. Set This Mixture Over Medium Heat And Simmer About 10 Minutes, Or Until The Onions Are Soft. Remove From Heat And Set Aside.
    Using Tongs, Transfer The Cooled Anchos To The Container Of A Blender. Add About 2 Cups Of The Ancho Liquid And All The Onion Broth. Cover The Blender Container And Start Blending At Low Speed. Increasing To High Speed As The Puree Becomes Combined. The Result Will Be A Thick, Dark Red Sauce. Adjust Seasonings With Salt, Pepper And More Honey If Desire. Use The Sauce As Is In A Recipe, Or Place In A Clean Glass Container And Refrigerate. Use The Sauce Within A Week Or Freeze For Later Use.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Deviled Nuts
    4 Cups (about 1lb) Pecan Halves
    1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter, Melted
    4 Tsp Freshly Ground Chile Powder
    1/2 Cup Packed Brown Sugar

Preheat Oven To 350° F. In A Large Bowl, Toss The Pecans In The Melted Butter Until They Are Completely Coated. Sprinkle The Chile Powder Over The Nuts And Toss Them Until Coated Completely. Add The Sugar And Toss Them With Your Hands To Keep The Sugar From Forming Lumps. Spread Mixture Onto A Lightly Oiled Baking Sheet, Scraping The Residue From The Bowl On Top Of The Nuts. Bake For 20 Minutes, Or Until The Nuts Begin To Brown And The Butter Begins To Spread. At This Point, The Coating Won't Be Crunchy, But As The Nuts Cool, The Coating Will Harden. These Nuts Can Be Stored In An Airtight Container Until Needed For Up To 2 Weeks.

Creme Fraiche
    2 Cups Whipping Cream
    4 Tbsp Buttermilk
    Kosher Salt

Combine The Cream And Buttermilk In A Glass Bowl. Cover And Let Stand In Refrigerator For 8-24 Hrs, Or Until Thick. Stir Well And Refrigerate For Up To 10 Days.

-------------------------------------------------------------

TEXAS PICO
    6 Jalapenos, sliced
    1 Red onion, diced
    6 Green Onions, Thinly sliced
    2 Tomatoes, Diced
    2 Bunches Cilantro leaves, stems removed and minced
    juice of 2 limes
    kosher salt

Toss the jalapenos, onions, tomatoes, and cilantro in a bowl. Drizzle with lime juice and top with salt, and toss again to combine. Let sit for about 15 minutes before serving.

My Pics –

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/sltrax/Garcknchilerellenos.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/sltrax/Garcknchilerellenos1.jpg

Oh Bean your pics look fantastic!!! Absolutely wonderful!
    TY so much for the review and taking the time to make this to tell us about it!!!

Comment

TY :)

All the different recipes are great by themselves! The Red Chile Sauce & the Pico are great with tortilla chips, the Creme Fraiche was excellent with poppers last night (will post them) and the Deviled Nuts are very addicting on their own.

Comment

[QUOTE=shadow]Oh Bean your pics look fantastic!!! Absolutely wonderful!
        TY so much for the review and taking the time to make this to tell us about it!!![/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly ...I appreciate it big time!

Comment

MADE ME WANT TO LICK THE SCREEN!! :eek: LOL
          GLAD YOU ENJOYED IT. DH WON'T EACH CHILI RELLANOS, BUT I MAY MAKE THE RED CHILE SAUCE TO MAKE SOME ENCHILADAS, AND JUST PUT THE FILLING IN THE TORTILLAS. MAYBE GET ME A PABLANO TO STUFF AND BAKE ALONG SIDE THE ENCHILADAS.

Comment

LOL @ Nu! Make them for yourself, you won't be sorry! That chile sauce would make killer enchiladas!

Comment

I MADE THE CHILE SAUCE TONIGHT TO MAKE ENCHILADAS AND ONE RELLANO, WITH CHICKEN, CHEESE, JALAPENO AND ONIONS. IT WAS REAL GOOD. I USED LESS SUGAR AND HONEY THINKING I DIDN'T WANT IT SO SWEET, BUT IT WAS BITTER AND HAD TO ADD THE SWEETNERS BACK IN, AND IT WAS REALLY GOOD. tHE LEFTOVER SAUCE I THINK I WILL PUT A CUP OF IT IN DIFFERENT ZIPLOCK BAGGIES IN THE FREEZER, SO I DON'T HAVE TO USE THE WHOLE THING WHEN I DEFROST IT.

Comment

Nu, I used that red chile sauce for some Mexican lasagne and it rocked!

Comment

Working...
                X