Fresh Mozzarella, Prosciutto, and Fig Jam Grilled Cheese

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh Mozzarella, Prosciutto, and Fig Jam Grilled Cheese

Okay, since I tried this recipe, I’m moving it over to the T&T section. My picture doesn’t look nearly like the picture from the book, but the taste was outta this world!

(NU - I see you brought out the "fine china" I do that also on sandwich nights! Lol)

Actually, I use that “fine china” EVERYNIGHT! LOL I couldn’t even tell you what my real plates look like! LOL Gotta love the cleanup…everything goes in the trash! LOL

Fresh Mozzarella, Prosciutto, and Fig Jam Grilled Cheese

From Grilled Cheese: 50 Recipes to Make You Melt by Marlena Spieler (Chronicle Books, 2004)

Fresh, milky mozzarella melts into a puddle of soothing, stringy cheese, with a hit of salty prosciutto, and a smudge of sweet fig jam to balance it all.

Fig jam and preserved figs, usually imported from Italy, Greece, or Turkey, are sometimes found in specialty shops and on websites as well as in some supermarkets. If unavailable, use sliced fresh figs, drizzled with a tiny bit of honey.

4 soft French or Italian rolls (or half-baked if available)
    10-12 ounces fresh mozzarella, thickly sliced
    8 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced
    ¼-½ cup fig jam or fig preserves, to taste (I DIDN’T USE)
    Soft butter for spreading on bread

1.Split each roll, and layer with the mozzarella and prosciutto. Spread the top slices with the fig jam, then close up.

2.Lightly butter the outside of each sandwich.

3. Heat a heavy nonstick skillet or panini press over medium-high heat. Place the sandwiches in the pan, working in two batches depnding on the size of the pan. Press the sandwiches or close the grill and brown, turning once or twice, until the bread is crisp and the cheese has melted. Though the rolls start off as round, once pressed they are considerably flatter and can be easily turned, albeit carefully.

4.Serve right away, cut on the diagonal.

Shows a pic-

http://www.aarpsegundajuventud.org/english/food/2006-DJ/06DJ_figjam.html

My sad picture: http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee14/TeresaYo1/IMGA0613.jpg

Next time I might add 3 slices (instead of 2 slices) of Mozzarella cheese so it'll ooze more.

I have just bought all the ingredients to make it for foot ball this sunday.

Comment

I also purchased some smoked turkey and salami because
      I didnít think my DH would be too fond of the Prosciutto after I tried a sample of it in the store. He's not real big on salt, like I am. So for his sandwich I was able to add the other meats and just a touch of the Prosciutto, he loved it too. No more Quizno for me!!! LOL

Comment

Looks great Teresa! I like your pic! :)

Try using mayo in place of the butter on the outside (itís a nice change and is really good). Also flip your bun opposite, white part outside, I think it grills better that way.

Comment

This sounds really good. TY for sharing and I think your pic looks great!!! :)

Great tips bean, TY too. :)

Comment

This was excellent! The only thing I changed was the bread (marble rye). Try it with the fig jam - it ROCKED! :D

Teresa, I honestly don't know if I ever would have tried this one out of the cookbook until you made it. Thanks! :)

Comment

So now did the fig jam have a sweet taste to it? I don't know that I could try it with the fig jam...I liked it plain.

Comment

It made it "saucy" with a hint of sweet. I don't care for sweet and this was perfect. We had them again for dinner last night on jalapeno cheese bread.

Comment

On Marble Rye Ė

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/sltrax/Prosfigpanini.jpg

On Jalapeno Cheese Bread Ė

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/sltrax/Prosfigpanini2.jpg

Comment

Looks so yummy!
                    That is not George's Marble Rye, is it? LOL

Comment

[QUOTE=shadow]Looks so yummy!
                      That is not George's Marble Rye, is it? LOL[/QUOTE]

TY :)

And I hope it's not George's! :eek: LOL :D

Comment

Who's George, and why are you stealing his bread???? :confused:

Comment

[QUOTE=nuisance]Who's George, and why are you stealing his bread???? :confused:[/QUOTE]

Sandwich looks SO YUMMY!!!! But, who is George? And, if he makes really good Rye Bread, can you share his stolen recipe!? :D
                          Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
                          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

[QUOTE=nuisance]Who's George, and why are you stealing his bread???? :confused:[/QUOTE]

Check out the link! LOL :D

http://www.sonypictures.com/tv/shows/seinfeld/episode_guide/?sl=episode&ep=711

Comment

LOL..funny! :D

Comment

Working...
                              X