Pizza Pizza!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pizza Pizza!!

Lets post our T&T dough & sauce recipes here. :)

Sourdough Pizza Dough

Start 3 days prior to making pizza.

Just remember to use only Glass or Plastic bowels and tools with this recipe since some metals can react badly with the acidic nature of Sour Dough.

Day 1. Proof 1 package Regular Yeast in warm (100º-110º water or milk and 1 tsp sugar)

Combine 2 cups non-chlorinated water (bottled spring water is best) with 2 cups bread or AP flour and 1 Tbl Sugar or Honey.

Stir in yeast.

Put in LARGE bowl(you only want to fill the half-way) and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Set this into a pan with high sides (just in case it runs over the side of the bowl. I have had this happen and it's messy!!!) and let it sit in a warm place (in an oven with a pilot is great) overnight.

Day 2: Feeding time

You will notice a clear liquid on top. This is pure alcohol called "hooch". You can remove it if you want but it will be more flavorful if you just stir it back into the starter. Most of it will cook off anyway. Just don't drink it.

In a bowl mix 1 cup flour and 1 cup spring water with 2 tsp Sugar or Honey.

Divide the starter and discard half of it. Add the fresh feed, cover tightly and let it sit in a warm place overnight.

Day 3: Time to cook.

You'll need:
    1 Cup Starter
    3 Tbl Sugar or Honey
    2 tsp. Salt
    2 Tbl Shortening
    5-6 Cups Flour
    1-3/4 Cup Water

Sift together 3½ cups flour with the rest of the dry ingredients.

Cut in Shortening.

Add Starter & Water

Add flour 1/2 cup at a time until you get a soft dough that's easy to handle

Turn out onto floured board and knead about 10 minutes until it springs back when you push it out.

Form into large ball and place in a large bowl greased with Extra Virgin. Spin the ball in the bowl to coat with oil. Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place for 4 hours.

Punch down,

1. Divide and roll out into 2 crusts.

I pre-bake mine just to set the crust at 350º before putting my and toppings on.

OR

2. form into loaves and let rise an additional 2 hours.
    Bake @ 350º for 23 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when you thump it.

Recipe posted by - Raven21633

Comment

I make the dough in my bread machine.

CPK BLT Pizza

1 recipe basic pizza dough (below)

2 T. olive oil (I use avocado oil)
      2 c. mozzarella cheese, shredded
      ½ c. cooked crumbled bacon (I use maple bacon)
      1 to 2 tomatoes, chopped

3 c. romaine lettuce, chopped
      4 T. mayo

I always pre-bake my crusts for a few minutes. Brush oil on top of crust, add ½ of the mozzarella and bacon, then top with other half mozzarella. I add chopped parsley too.

Mix lettuce & mayo together, set aside.

Bake pizza at 500º for 8 to 10 minutes. Slice the pizza and top with the lettuce/mayo mix.

Pizza Dough by California Pizza Kitchen

(recipe can be found in the cookbook titled “The California Pizza Kitchen Cookbook”)
      Makes dough for (2) 9-inch pizzas

Basic Pizza Dough

1 teaspoon yeast
      ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon warm water
      (105-110 degrees F)
      1 ½ cups bread flour or all-purpose flour
      2 teaspoons sugar
      1 teaspoon salt
      4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil

Honey-Wheat Pizza Dough

1 teaspoon yeast
      ½ cup plus 1 teaspoon warm water
      (105-110 degrees F)
      1 cup bread flour
      ½ cup whole wheat flour
      5 teaspoons clover honey
      1 teaspoon salt
      4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil

Note:
      The mixing and handling of the two types of dough are essentially identical except that the honey-wheat tends to rise more slowly.

To make the dough:

1. Dissolve the yeast in the water and set aside for 5 to 10 minutes. Be sure that the water is not hot; temperatures of 120° F and above will kill the yeast and the dough will not rise.

2. If using an upright electric mixer, such as a KitchenAid, use the mixing paddle attachment because the batch size is too small for the dough hook to be effective. Combine all other ingredients (except one teaspoon of olive oil) and combine them with the dissolved yeast in the mixing bowl. (Do not pour the salt directly into the yeast water because this would kill some of the yeast.) Allow these 2 ingredients to mix gradually; use the lowest 2 speeds to mix the dough. Mix for 2 to 3 minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic. Over mixing will produce tough, rubbery dough, and friction will cause dough to rise too fast.

3. If mixing by hand, place the dry ingredients in a 4 to 6-quart mixing bowl; make a well in the middle and pour the liquids (reserving a teaspoon of olive oil). Use a wooden spoon to combine the ingredients. Once initial mixing is done, you can lightly oil your hands and begin kneading the dough; knead for 5 minutes. When done, the dough should be slightly tacky (that is, it should be barely beyond sticking to your hands).

4. Lightly oil the dough ball and the interior of a 1 quart glass bowl. Place the dough ball in the bowl and seal the bowl with clear food wrap; seal air tight. Set aside at room temperature (70-80° F) to rise until double in size; about 1 ½ to 2 hours.

5. Note: The dough could be used at this point, but it will not be that wonderful, chewy, flavorful dough that it will become later. Punch down the dough, re-form a nice round ball and return it to the same bowl; cover again with clear food wrap. Place the bowl in the refrigerator overnight covered airtight.

6. About 2 hours before you are ready to assemble your pizza, remove the dough from the refrigerator. Use a sharp knife to divide the dough into 2 equal portions (or 4 equal portions if making appetizer-sized pizza or if smaller 6-inch pizzas are desired).

7. Roll the smaller dough into round balls on a smooth, clean surface; be sure to seal any holes by pinching or rolling.

8. Place the newly formed dough balls in a glass casserole dish, spaced far apart for each to double in size. Seal the top of the dish air-tight with clear food wrap. Set aside at room temperature until the dough balls have doubled in size (about 2 hours). They should be smooth and puffy.

To stretch and form the dough for pizza:
      1. Sprinkle a medium dusting of flour over a 12x12-inch clean, smooth surface. Use a metal spatula or dough scraper to carefully remove a dough ball from the glass casserole dish, being very careful to preserve its round shape. Flour the dough liberally. Place the floured dough on the floured smooth surface.

2. Use your hand or rolling pin to press the dough down forming a flat circle about 1/2-inch thick. Pinch the dough between your fingers all around the edge of the circle, forming a lip or rim that rises about 1/4-inch above the center surface of the dough. You may continue this outward stretching motion of the hands until you have reached a 9-inch diameter pizza dough.

To dress the pizza:
      1. Lightly sprinkle cornmeal, semolina or flour over the surface of a wooden pizza peel. Arrange the stretched dough over the floured peel surface. Work quickly to dress the pizza so that the dough won’t become soggy or sticky from the sauces and toppings.

2. When you are ready to transfer the pizza to the pizza stone in the preheated oven, grasp the handle of the peel and execute a very small test jerk to verify that the pizza will come easily off the peel. If the dough doesn’t move freely, carefully lift the edges of the dough and try to rotate it by hand. Extreme cases may require that you toss more flour under the dough edges.

3. Once the dough is moving easily on the peel, open the oven and position the edge of the peel over the center of the stone about 2/3 from the front of the stone. Jiggle and tilt the peel to get the pizza to start sliding off. When the pizza begins to touch the stone, pull the peel quickly out from under it. Don’t attempt to move the pizza until it has begun to set (about 3 minutes). The peel can be slid under the pizza to move it or remove it.

Pic -

This is right out of the oven before being topped with lettuce/mayo mix.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/sltrax/BLT2.jpg

Comment

Whole Wheat Pizza Dough

Recipe Courtesy of Curtis Aikens - Food TV

1 package dry yeast
        1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
        1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
        2 cups all-purpose flour
        1 tablespoon olive oil
        1 tablespoon honey
        1/2 teaspoon salt

Proof yeast in a measuring cup with lukewarm water.
        In a food processor add whole wheat and all purpose flours, proofed yeast, oil mixed with honey and salt. Pulse processor to combine all ingredients. Then process until the dough forms a ball on the blade. Remove dough to a large oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes or until dough has doubled in bulk.

Punch down dough and transfer to a floured board and knead briefly. Divide dough into 4 equal portions and roll each piece into a ball. Place the balls of dough, covered, in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight. Bring the dough to room temperature before proceeding.

On a floured board roll and stretch each piece of dough into a 7 to 8-inch circle. Place each circle on a wooden pizza peel or pizza pan and top as desired.
        Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. and bake 7 to 8 minutes per pizza.

*Adjust baking times

Comment

Bean’s Pizza Sauce

1 15 ounce can tomato puree OR 2 - 8 ounce cans tomato sauce
          1 sm. can tomato paste
          3 cloves garlic – roasted, chopped
          1 t. each – oregano, basil, It. Seasoning, marjoram, sugar, crushed red pepper (if desired)
          S & P to taste
          Small amount of water (maybe 2 T.)

Simmer about 45 minutes, to desired thickness, taste test for seasoning.

Comment

I got this off the old CK board, can't remember from who, but it is really good! :)

Papa Murphy's Gourmet Garlic Sauce

1/2 cup real mayonnaise (I use Hellmans)
            1 Tablespoon ranch dressing mix
            1 clove of garlic minced or crushed (I use two cloves)

Mix and let stand for the flavors to blend, this is enough for one 12-14 inch pizza.

*I like this pizza topped with Italian sausage cooked with crushed red pepper, roma tomatoes, garlic (jar kind), sweet onion, olives, jalapenos, fresh basil, Parmesan and mozzarella cheese. YUM

Comment

The dough would work great for a “croissant” style pizza because the crust is so flaky! A keeper around here for sure!

Pizza Rustica

Crust

4 c. sifted flour
              1 1/2 c. lard
              1 t. salt
              1 egg
              1/2 c. water
              1 T. vinegar
              1 t. sugar

Mix flour with lard and salt until flaky (large lumps)
              In another bowl, whip egg and water, vinegar and sugar.
              Add liquid ingredients to the flour mixture and together well.
              Roll out crust and line baking pan (cookie/jelly roll) 10” x 15” with crust. Lining over the sides of pan also.

Center Mixture

1 lb. Italian sausage
              1 lb. ricotta
              1 lb. mozzarella, shredded
              8 eggs
              2 oz. chopped prosciutto or pepperoni
              1 T. chopped parsley

Brown sausage, drain. Set aside to cool.
              Mix ricotta, mozzarella, sausage, eggs, prosciutto and parsley. Thoroughly blend.
              Pour mixture in crust, fold over excess crust from sides onto top of center mixture.
              Bake at 400º for about 35 minutes until top of crust is lightly browned.

Serves 8

Pic -

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/sltrax/Pizza.jpg

Slice -

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/sltrax/Slice.jpg

Comment

This is great. I got it out of a BH&G cookbook about 20 or so years ago.

Turnover Crust (calzones, hot pockets, bbq)

1 cup warm water
                2 T. oil
                1 t. salt
                2 1/2 to 3 c. flour
                1 package yeast

Place in bread machine - dough cycle, when finished rising, divide dough into 6 pieces. Cover let rest 10 minutes. On floured surface roll each into an 8-inch circle. Fill with ingredients for calzones, hot pockets, bbq meat…etc. Be carefull not to over fill.

Moisten edge of dough with mixture of egg and 1 t. of water. Fold in half, seal edge by pressing with fork. Prick tops, brush with remaining egg mixture.

Bake on a greased baking sheet at 375º for 30 to 35 minutes.

Comment

I make the dough in my bread machine.

In the reviews it said to change the salt, so I did that in the recipe below. This is supposed to freeze well too.

I use 1/2 regular flour & 1/2 bread flour. 00 flour when I have it on hand.

Pizza Dough

Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence

Recipe Summary
                  Difficulty: Medium
                  Yield: 3 pizza crusts
                  User Rating: 5 stars

1 package active dry yeast
                  1 teaspoon sugar
                  1 cup warm water
                  1 t. kosher salt
                  Extra-virgin olive oil
                  3 cups 00 flour, plus more for dusting

In the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine the yeast, sugar, and warm water; stir gently to dissolve. Let the mixture stand until the yeast comes alive and starts to foam, about 5 to 10 minutes.
                  Turn the mixer on low and add the salt and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the flour, a little at a time, mixing at the lowest speed until all the flour has been incorporated. When the dough starts to come together, increase the speed to medium; stop the machine periodically to scrape the dough off the hook. Get a feel for the dough by squeezing a small amount together: if it's crumbly, add more water; if it's sticky, add more flour - 1 tablespoon at a time. Mix until the dough gathers into a ball, this should take about 5 minutes.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and fold it over itself a few times; kneading until it's smooth and elastic. Form the dough into a round and place in a lightly oiled bowl, turn it over to coat. Cover with plastic wrap or a damp towel and let it rise in a warm spot (i.e. over a gas pilot light) until doubled in size, about 1 hour. This is a good time to stick a pizza stone in the oven and preheat them to 500 degrees F.

Once the dough is domed and spongy, turn it out onto a lightly floured counter. Roll and stretch the dough into a cylinder and divide into 3 equal pieces. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes so it will be easier to roll out.
                  Roll or pat out a piece of dough into a 12 inch circle, about 1/8-inch thick. Dust a pizza paddle with flour and slide it under the pizza dough. Brush the crust with a thin layer of olive oil, and top with your favorite flavors. Slide the pizza onto the hot stone in the oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the crust is golden and crisp. Repeat with the remaining dough.
                  Last edited by Bean; 10-14-2007, 07:38 AM.

Comment

I have been making this for so many years! :D

Pizza Dough With Beer

1 cup flat beer*
                    2 T. butter
                    2 T. sugar
                    1 t. salt (or garlic salt)
                    2 3/4 cups all purpose flour -- (2 3/4 to 3)
                    1 package dry yeast

Add to bread machine, dough cycle. Place in lightly greased bowl, cover with dry cloth. Let sit 30 minutes. Oven at 400 degrees. Pre-bake 4 to 5 minutes first on a greased pizza pan. Add ingredients & bake about 20 minutes, till brown bottom & cheese melts.

NOTES : *Pour the beer into measuring cup & cover with saran wrap the night before. Only use a full flavored beer, if your going to use light, you might as well use water.
                    This crust works best in warm weather.

** As for the beer dough - I have played around with it and LOVE making it with Guinness Stout and 1 T. sugar + 1 T. honey. I got the idea from a little pizza place back in VA. I haven't made it any other way since. The darker full bodied beers add great flavor.

***Also if you bake the pizza at 500º it takes less time – maybe 10 minutes.

Comment

I didn't name this - it is the name! LOL

Favorite Pizza Crust

1 c. water
                      2 T. olive oil
                      2 T. parmesan cheese
                      1 1/2 t. Italian Seasoning
                      1 t. sugar
                      1 t. salt
                      3 c. bread flour
                      2 1/2 t. yeast

Place in bread machine per instructions for dough cycle. When done, place in a lighty greased bowl, cover with dry cloth & let sit 30 to 40 minutes in a warm, draft free place. Oven at 400 degrees. I always pre-bake the pizza dough for about 5 minutes before adding ingredients. Add ingredients & bake until lightly brown on bottom & cheese melts. About 20 minutes.

I change the seasonings (in place of the It. seas.) to match what pizza I'm making. Like crushed red pepper, or Mexican seasoning...etc...

Comment

Buffalo Wing Pizza

1 recipe for pizza dough

2 chicken breasts, cooked (shredded or cubed)
                        Buffalo Wing Sauce

Mix the above to coat chicken.

Mix together (Sauce)

3/4 c. BBQ sauce (your favorite)
                        1/4 c. Buffalo Wing sauce

Shredded Mozzarella
                        1/4 c. celery, chopped
                        1/8 c. scallions

Spread sauce, add chicken, cheese, celery & scallions. Bake according to pizza dough instructions. Yummy! :)

Comment

Lina found this great recipe! :)

I make the dough in my bread machine and add 2 t. olive oil.

The leftover black beans make a great ‘sauce’ for the pizza mixed with seasonings. I have used this for a chicken fajita and taco pizza.

Black Bean Pizza Dough

1 teaspoon active dry yeast (I use 2 t.)
                          2 cups bread flour
                          1/4 teaspoon salt
                          1/2 cup lukewarm water
                          1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
                          1/4 cup pureed black beans (if use canned beans, rinse and drain first)

Combine and knead all ingredients (I use my bread machine).
                          Let rise 50-60 minutes.
                          Roll dough on a cornmeal-covered counter.
                          Place dough in pizza pan.
                          For a thin, crispy crust, place toppings on dough and bake immediately.
                          For a thicker, chewier crust, allow dough to rise 15-30 minutes before adding toppings.
                          Place pizza on the bottom rack of oven (Preheated to 500 degrees) 5-10 minutes.

*Lina suggested adding cumin and chopped jalapenos to the dough & it turned out awesome! :D

Pic -

Chicken Fajita

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/sltrax/Pizza2.jpg

Taco

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/sltrax/Mexpiz2.jpg

Comment

I came up with this after having it at a little place back in Fredericksburg, VA.

Meatball Pizza

Your favorite pizza dough (or ready made crust- Boboli)
                            Marinara sauce
                            Mozzarella, shredded
                            Ricotta cheese
                            Fresh basil leaves
                            Tomatoes
                            Black olives
                            Pepper rings
                            Meatballs - I make my meatballs & then flatten them before browning, this way they stay on the pizza

Bake as you would with any homemade pizza.

Pic -

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/sltrax/Mtpz.jpg

Comment

This doesn't remind me of "Boboli" but it is very good.

Boboli Type Pizza Crust

1 cup water
                              3 cups all purpose flour
                              1 tsp. salt
                              2 Tbsp olive oil
                              1 Tbsp sugar
                              2 tsp. active dry yeast
                              1 tsp. minced garlic
                              2 tsp. Parmesan cheese
                              1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
                              Parmesan cheese to sprinkle

Add all ingredients (except) second parmesan cheese to breadmaker in order
                              listed by your manufacturer. It is a good idea to put the garlic down
                              inside the flour so it does not slow the yeast. Set breadmaker on dough
                              setting. When complete, form two crusts on pizza pans, sprinkle with
                              parmesan cheese, cover and let rise again. Preheat oven to 450º and bake
                              5 to 10 minutes until light brown. Cool. Wrap tightly in foil and freeze
                              until you get the pizza urge. Great to have around for easy last minute
                              dinners.

Comment

Working...
                              X