Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth Every Penne

Sauce:
    2 tbsp. basil pesto (I used about 3 hefty tbsp.)
    2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
    1 tbsp. olive oil
    1 tsp. liquid honey 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

2 cups uncooked penne noodles
    4 slices bacon, chopped
    3 cups sliced mushrooms (I did not use this amount)
    1 cup chopped onions
    3 big handfuls baby spinach leaves
    12 cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half (I used a roma tomato) cheaper
    3 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
    1/4 cup shaved Parmesan or Romano cheese, or 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (I used both parm and feta)

To prepare sauce, whisk together all sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside. Cook penne noodles according to package directions. Drain and keep warm. While pasta is boiling, cook bacon in a large, non-stick skillet or wok over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes. Remove and discard 1 tbsp. bacon drippings from skillet. Add mushrooms and onions to skillet. Cook and stir until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add spinach leaves and tomatoes, cook until spinach is wilted. Stir in chicken and cook just until chicken is heated thru. Add cooked penne noodles and mix well. Add reserved sauce and mix again. Remove from skillet from heat. Sprinkle pasta with Parm or feta and freshly ground pepper. Serve immediately. I thru the cheese right in the skillet just before dish was done, so it got nice and melty. I also thru in about a cup of chopped broccoli as I had to use it up, it went very well with the rest of the ingredients. So very good!
    A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Re: Worth Every Penne

VERY clever title, MudderB...and sounds so good!
    Mary Ann in Wisconsin
    "A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push.

Ludwig Wittgenstein

Comment

Yes, it is a clever name,,,,but I didn't name the recipe
      A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

Its on my to try list! I bet this looks beautiful! Thanks for sharing MudderBear
        www.perfectlyposh/510sigpic

Comment

Love the name.. Can't wait to try this one..

Comment

I don't understand the bacon part. Do you discard the bacon and the grease except for one tablespoon?

Comment

I think it means to take out and just throw away one tablespoon of the grease that was rendered as otherwise the recipe would be a bit to greasy.

Originally posted by Hayburner View Post
              I don't understand the bacon part. Do you discard the bacon and the grease except for one tablespoon?
              Mary Ann in Wisconsin
              "A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push.

Ludwig Wittgenstein

Comment

Oh, I get it. The bacon wasn't mentioned again after the initial cooking ... I'd mix it in at the very end so it would retain it's crunch!

This sounds great... minus the 'shrooms for me!
                "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

Working...
                X