This is a Giade de Laurentiis recipe.

2 red peppers, cored and cut into 1" wide strips
    2 zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1" cubes
    4 cremini mushrooms, halved
    1 yellow onion, peeled and sliced into 1" strips
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 teaspoon salt, divided
    1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
    1 Tablespoon dried italian herb mix or herbs de provence ( I used the italian herb mix)
    1 pound penne
    3 cups Marinara sauce ( store bought or homemade)
    1 cup grated Fontina cheese
    1/2 cup grated SMOKED Mozarella cheese
    1 1/2 cups frozen green peas, thawed
    1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus 1/3 cup more for topping
    2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces

Preheat oven to 450 degrees
    On a baking shee, toss the cut vegetables with olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper and dried herbs. Roast until tender, about 15 minutes.
    Meanwhile, bring large pot of salted water to boil. Add the pasta and cook for 6 minutes. Since you will be cooking the pasta a second time in the oven, you want to make sure the inside is still firm. Drain in colander.
    In a large bowl, toss the cooked pasta, roasted vegetables, marinara sauce, cheeses, peas, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Using a wooden spoon, gently mix until pasta is coated with the sauce and all ingredients are combined.
    Pour the pasta mix into a greased 13x9 dish. Top with the remaining 1/3 cup of parmesan cheese and butter pieces. Bake until top is golden and cheeses are melted, about 25 minutes.
    I made this 2 nights ago and it is delicious. Since it's just the two of us, I halved the recipe and baked it in a 8x8 pan, and we ate almost the whole thing. Big Grin The roasted vegetables give it so much flavor and the smoked mozarella gives it the extra touch. I will fix again, that's for sure.
    You could make this a one dish meal, by adding some cooked turkey sausage or any other cooked meat.
Working...
X