• Show
Clear All

• Maple-Chipotle Barbecue Sauce

Maple-Chipotle Barbecue Sauce

Source Food & Wine
    FAST - MAKE-AHEAD

TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
    MAKES ABOUT 1 CUP

This sweet and smoky barbecue sauce is the perfect gift for die-hard winter grillers. Refrigerate it for up to two weeks.

3 large chipotle chiles in adobo, stems discarded
    1/4 cup ketchup
    1/4 cup pure maple syrup
    1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
    1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 medium onion, minced
    2 large garlic cloves, minced
    Salt and freshly ground pepper
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

In a blender, combine the chipotles with the ketchup, maple syrup, broth and allspice and puree until smooth.

In a medium saucepan, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderately high heat until golden, 5 minutes. Add the chipotle puree. Season with salt and pepper. Cook over moderate heat until thickened, 15 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.

Brush on chicken, beef, lamb, pork or ham during the last few minutes of grilling, broiling or roasting. Or, dilute with a little chicken stock and use to deglaze pan drippings.

...................yum!

Comment

Bean,

What timing!! I have some chipotle in adobo sauce I was wondering how to use. Now I know!!

Thanks for posting!
      Kevin "The BBQGURU" Taylor

Comment

Post your results Kevin!

Comment

Will do!

We are in the middle of a blizzard here with the entire town shut down.....but I have some chicken on the grill! LOL

Will likely try this on the weekend.

Comment

'Bout time!

I have now made this sauce twice and it has become one of my faves! It has just the right amount of heat for me, though the family thinks it is far too hot.

It stores well for a long time. A great way to use up any leftover chipotles you may have sitting around.

Thanks for posting Bean!

Comment

Good to know Kevin and thanks for the review. I see this being made for the upcoming weekend!

Comment

This just finished cooling and I took a taste test. Great flavor and a bit of heat. I have some ideas for using this recipe!

Comment

I mixed a batch of this with some crushed pineapple and simmered some Thai Chicken Meatballs (posted in archives - Main dishes) and made subs last night! Excellent!

Pic -

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/sltrax/Thaimtbalsub.jpg

Comment

this would be killer on some grilled shrimp or chicken!
                    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Comment

Originally posted by Chefkel
                      this would be killer on some grilled shrimp or chicken!
                      Shrimp for you!

Don't forget grilled burgers!

Comment

...................yum!

Comment

Maple Chipotle Barbecue Sauce

I made syrup for several years as a kid at my folks house using the sap of the 2 maples they had in the yard. I never knew what type of maples they were and the syrup was great.

I marked about a dozen maple trees in my yard and am prepared to tap them when the time is right.

As I am not sure what type of maples they are I am wondering if anyone has had an issue with any maples found in New England that didnt produce good syrup. After doing some research I know some maples are more desirable than others. Is not knowing which ones are sugar, silver, red etc.... likely to give me problems with my finished product.

sam
                          Brormashourse

Comment

Working...
                          X