Wisconsin Beer Cheese Chowder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wisconsin Beer Cheese Chowder

I got this recipe from a Wisconsin website last winter and have not tried it yet. I think I will take a trial run with this and may end up taking it to a Growler party in September. If anyone makes this before me, please post your review as I would appreciate it.

Wisconsin Beer Cheese Chowder

1 Tbsp. plus 1/4 cup butter
    1/2 cup onion, chopped
    3/4 cup carrots, chopped
    1-1/2 cups small broccoli florets
    1 cup chicken broth, boiling
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp. dry mustard
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    2 cups milk
    3 oz. cream cheese, softened
    8 oz. (1/2 lb.) cooked Polish sausage, cubed
    1-1/2 cups (6 oz.) Wisconsin Sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
    1/2 cup beer

In medium saucepan, melt 1 Tbsp. butter. Add onion, carrots, and broccoli. Sauté over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Add chicken broth; reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 8 minutes. In large saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter over medium-high heat. Stir in flour, dry mustard, and pepper. Add milk, stirring until thickened. Stir for an additional 1 to 2 minutes. Cut cream cheese into cubes and stir in until smooth. Stir in vegetable mixture, sausage, 1 cup of the Cheddar cheese, and beer. Heat to serving temperature. Top each serving with remaining cheese. Makes 6 servings, 1 cup each.

Recipe inspired by Mr. G’s Supper Club, Sturgeon Bay.
    Last edited by fatkat; 03-02-2007, 05:27 PM.

This sure looks like a winner! I'll try it, just don't know how soon. TY

Comment

Did you make this last night fatkat?

Comment

bumping for self ~ making this for dinner today

Comment

That looks awesome!

Comment

Excellent pic, looks awesome!

Comment

I made this yesterday for dinner - it is pretty good but nothing SPECTACULAR. I've had better in restaurants and I think this could use more "flavoring" as in maybe some kind of seasoning. Also, the bagged cheese left a "gritty or grainy" texture in the soup. I would highly NOT recommend bagged cheese due to the coating they add to it to prevent clumping and to grate your own fresh.

I made one batch with a Bud Light - nice and refreshing flavor. It is the lighter colored one.

The second batch I used a local beer that is a dark Amber Ale. Very heavy in flavor. It made a pretty aromatic chowder and nice heavy flavor. The guys LOVED this one.

One other note is that I would either double up on the veggies OR add some cauliflower OR potatoes. It just did not have enough veggies to be classified as a chowder - a soup maybe, but not chowder.

I would make this again
              Last edited by fatkat; 10-23-2006, 08:45 AM.

Comment

does it taste like beer?? i hate the taste of beer
                I'm Not Bossy, I just have better ideas

Comment

Originally posted by doro
                  does it taste like beer?? i hate the taste of beer
                  I taste malt and hops Doro so I would say, yes ~ it has a beer taste to it, especially the one made with the heavy dark beer. You may really like the one made with the light beer though. It was much lighter in texture, flavor and color.

Comment

thank you..
                    I'm Not Bossy, I just have better ideas

Comment

Looks good, I will have to try this on a cold wintery day, thanks for the pic's and review

Comment

I reheated the leftovers tonight but I boiled some Yukon Gold potatoes cubes in some chicken broth and added them to the soup. I HIGHLY recommend you add potatoes to this soup.

Comment

Re: Wisconsin Beer Cheese Chowder

Yum! I think I might make it as soup and eliminate the sausage. Broccoli could prob be extra too but I do like it very much in a cramy soup.
                          Mary Ann in Wisconsin
                          "A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push.

Ludwig Wittgenstein

Comment

bump...........

Comment

Working...
                            X