Humble Stew

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humble Stew

I made this for sup tonight. I had forgotten how good it is. I am not a fancy cook so this is not like drop over beautiful but ohhhhhh so good and comforting. It is suppose to be one of Martha Washingtons recipes ????

Humble stew
    1 lb. ground beef
    1 small onion chopped
    1 c. cabbage shredded (I use more)
    1 stalk celery chopped small pieces
    1 can kidney beans undrained
    1 can diced tomatos undrained
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 tsp. chili powder (I use alittle more)
    Hot mashed potaos
    Brown meat then add onion, cabbage, and celery. When veggies start to wilt add 2 cups water. cover simmer 15 min. then add remaining ingredients and simmer covered 15-20 min. put in single serving bowl and serve big dollop of mashed potatos on top.

WOO HOOOO My recipe is being published in the newspaper.
    My sil ate supper with us the night we had this and she ask for the recipe, took it to work (she works in the newspaper office) and all the gals wanted it. several of them tried it and thought it was so good they are going to print it. LOL
    This stuff is so easy, quick and so very tasty.

Comment

That is sooo cool Rosie. Martha is smiling down at ya.

Comment

This sounds similar to chili minus the mashed potatoes & cabbage. The cabbage & mashed potatoes must give it a little extra something. It does sound really good. I bet I'll be trying it real soon!

Comment

That is really cool!

I will have to try this soon! TY for sharing!

Comment

I have a question. Could you add chopped potatoes instead of using mashed? Would that work in this?

Comment

Autumn, I suppose you can do that. I don't stir the taters in, just get a little stew then a little chunk of mashed taters. To me there's just a comforting thing about this recipe. I really don't think I'm going to come beat on your door and have a fit if you change something If you try it I hope you like it. It's really not anything like chili, or at least not like my chili

Comment

Originally posted by rosie
                WOO HOOOO My recipe is being published in the newspaper.
                Good deal!

Saving a copy for myself! TY

Comment

I started to make this on Saturday morning (before I got kidnapped for my birthday). My DH and SIL couldn't get enough of it, even without the mashed potatoes. It was delicious! Thank you for a keeper of a recipe in our household!!

Comment

I'm going to make this tonight. It's so cold and gray...comfort food is just what we need!

Comment

yvw I'm so glad you and yours liked it. I hesitated before posting cause it's not fancy, but I just had to post cause it's so dang good.
                      AND
                      HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU--HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
                      Last edited by rosie; 02-18-2008, 09:24 PM.

Comment

This was very good! You're right...a very simple recipe but big on comfort. I opened a can of chili beans before I realized it so just left out the chili powder.

Comment

YEAH chickyp so glad you liked it.

Comment

bump............

Comment

Working...
                            X