• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ginger chicken soup

ingredients
    1 1-inch piece fresh ginger
    2 medium cloves garlic, unpeeled
    10 to 12 oz. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat (about 3 medium)
    ***I USED BONELESS SKINLESS BREASTS (2)****
    2 cups low-salt chicken broth
    1 Tbs. soy sauce
    2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
    1/4 tsp. Asian chile paste, like sambal oelek or Sriracha
    1/4 cup packed fresh cilantro
    2 Tbs. thinly sliced scallion (green tops only)
    Kosher salt
    1 Tbs. mild vegetable oil, like canola or safflower oil
    1 cup packed baby spinach (about 2 oz.)

how to make

Peel the ginger and slice it into four 1/4-inch coins. Using the flat side of a chef’s knife or a meat pounder, smash the coins. Smash the garlic and remove the skin.

In a medium saucepan, com*bine the ginger, garlic, chicken, broth, soy sauce, lemon juice, chile paste, and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and gently simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Using a pair of tongs, transfer the chicken to a plate. Use a slotted spoon to remove the ginger and garlic and discard. Keep the broth warm.

tip
    If you don’t have a mortar and pestle, mince the scallions and cilantro, transfer to a small bowl to combine with the oil, and scrape the mixture back onto a cutting board. Position the blade of a chef’s knife at a 30-degree angle to the board and repeatedly drag the blade over the cilantro mixture using a bit of pressure to mash it.

Finely chop the cilantro and scallion. Put them in a mortar, add a pinch of salt and 2 tsp. of the oil, and pound and mash with the pestle (see tip). Once the mixture begins to blend, add the remaining teaspoon of oil. Continue to grind the pestle into the cilantro mixture until it is aromatic and has the consistency of a paste.

Once the chicken is cool, slice it thinly and portion it into four soup bowls. Return the broth to a simmer and season with salt to taste. Add the spinach to the broth and continue to simmer until it’s wilted, 1 to 2 minutes more. Ladle the broth and spinach evenly over each portion of chicken and then top each with a dollop of the cilantro paste.

SOURCE: FINE COOKING
    Last edited by Chefkel; 06-24-2008, 03:49 PM.
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Re: Ginger chicken soup

1 USED CHICKEN BREAST!!!

LOL
    LOOKS GOOD. BUT, THAT'S HOW I READ IT AT FIRST! DON'T THINK I WANT TO USE A USED CHICKEN BREAST.

Comment

I would be temted to add a can of coconut milk to this,yum!

Comment

Kelly, this sounds wonderful......I was wondering if I could use Red Thai Chili Paste.....I have some in a small jar that I am always looking for ways to use.

I would love to try this soup.

Comment

Bee, I didnt have chili paste so I used sweet chili sauce in place and it was excellent.. im sure your jar would be fine.
          Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Ginger chicken soup

Heat 2TBS olive oil or ghee in a saucepan on medium heat. Gently fry 1/4tsp ground black pepper, 1/2tsp ground cumin, 1/4tsp ground cinnamon, 1/4tsp ground coriander and 4 cloves of garlic, chopped, for about a minute. Add 1/4c of cashews. Cut 1/2 container will check the weight of this of paneer into slices and fry with the spices, tossing occasionally, for 5-7 minutes. Add 1/2lb of chicken, cubed, into the oil with a 1in cube of ginger, thinly sliced, and fry for 3-5 minutes longer.

Open and partially drain 1 can of garbanzo beans leave a couple of TBSP of the liquid and add to the saucepan. Once steam begins to form toss in most of a bag of spinach depending on how much you love spinach and 1tsp salt. Cover the saucepan and sweat the spinach to wilt it. Once the spinach is limp add 2c chicken broth and 1c chopped cilantro to the saucepan and simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.

Serve and be speechless.

Comment

For that you just have to do..

2 tablespoons olive oil
                3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
                1 small red onion, thinly sliced
                2 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
                2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
                1 medium turnip, peeled and chopped (1 1/2 cups)
                2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
                1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
                1 2- to 2 1/2-pound rotisserie chicken..

Comment

Working...
                X