Split Pea Soup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split Pea Soup

I had a meaty ham bone and I wasn't going to waste it.

2 Cups split peas
    3 cans chicken stock
    2 cans water
    1 onion minced
    1 carrot chopped
    2 bay leaves
    2 tsp. basil
    1 tsp. marjoram
    1 meaty ham bone
    S & P to taste

Throw everything into a slow cooker and let it cook on low all day. It is amazing

Re: Split Pea Soup

Sounds lovely!

Haven't tried basil (which I love), marjoram or chick stock. I do bring to a light boil (sorted peas with water plus to cover, this is), turn off, add about 1/4 teas baking soda as our water is so hard here. Crock pot idea seems quite a good one!
    Mary Ann in Wisconsin
    "A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push.

Ludwig Wittgenstein

Comment

Thanks for sharing your recipe Rube! It sounds lovely! I also have a nice ham bone in the freezer! Thanks to you I will have something to do with it!
      Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

LOVE pea soup... it's one of those things I wouldn't TOUCH as a kid and was happily surprised as an adult to find out what I'd been missing!!

The only thing I might add is some crumbled bacon on top! YUMMM!!!
        "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

I also found however, that leaving it in the crockpot all day (I'm at work) the peas had basically disintegrated. Their essence was there but not the split peas themselves. Next time I'll try to do it while I'm home so that I can stop the cooking process earlier.

It is unbelievably flavorful though. I think I'll add a dollop of either yogurt or sour cream to the next bowl. (can't have it every day as we all know the unfortunate side effects).

Comment

You know, I had almost forgotten about Split Pea Soup. I was glad to see this thread!
            I didn't like it as a child either....
            Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

I realized I left off the rest of the hard water area method that I mentioned: After turning off, let sit for 1 hr., drain and make soup as usual. Crock pot all the way might work very well also.

I now remember a very bad experience I had with organic split peas earlier this year. I have NO idea why but no amount of cooking time would soften them. Read: 6 hrs 1st day, 5 hrs 2nd on stove top, minimum. This whole batch had to be thrown away as inedible. We love having split pea soup so this was difficult. At least it was made with what had been not the best ham---had been quite overcooked for one of those couldn't be helped reasons. I've had homemade split pea soup (between my Mother and I making it) for about 55 years and have never had a single serious problem like this with split peas before. We went back to a regular grocery store brand after that with no further problem.
              Mary Ann in Wisconsin
              "A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push.

Ludwig Wittgenstein

Comment

Funny you mentioned Pea soup. I just bought a bag of peas last week. This is my first time making it. I planned to do it in the crock pot and was happy to see the crock pot recipe posted. Thanks.

Comment

YUCK, Split Pea Soup?!?!?! NO WAY JOSE...UNTIL that is, I was invited to a friends for dinner, a captive audience I was. Her first course was this Split Pea soup, I forced myself to try it (good guest that I am)....I fell in LOVE with it. I've tried several recipes, all turned out nice and yummy, but I have a feeling this will be the one recipe I'll keep in my fave recipe box.

Thanks so much for sharing, I can hardly wait to try it.

Comment

Split Pea Soup

Oh, Split Pea Soup brings back memories of my Dad. He would have been 90 years old today. SPS was one of his specialties--- Potatoes put a new twist on his recipes. Will have to try.

Fran
                    get a russian wife

Comment

Split Pea Soup

Oh, Split Pea Soup brings back memories of my Dad. He would have been 90 years old today. SPS was one of his specialties--- Potatoes put a new twist on his recipes. Will have to try.

Fran

Comment

That's wonderful recipe. Will definitely try at home and post you the results soon. Thanks for sharing with us.

Comment

I love Split Pea Soup. It's one of my favorites. This is my kind of recipe. No work to it at all.
                          Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Comment

I do like to add some chopped potatoes, too.
                            Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Comment

Working...
                            X