1 large onion, diced
    1 small clove garlic, minced
    1/2 cup celery, minced
    4 carrots,diced
    4 medium potatoes, diced
    3 cups water
    2-3 chicken bouillon cubes
    3 tbsp. flour
    3 cups milk ( 1/2 of which I used evaporated milk)
    parsley
    pepper
    1 tsp. thyme
    4 slices crisply, cooked bacon, crumbled

In large stockpot, melt butter; add onion, celery, garlic and cook over medium heat until
    softened. While this cooks, place potatoes, carrots, water and bouillon cubes in another large pot and bring to a boil. Cook until tender, about 10 mins. When veggies are cooked, add flour to onion mixture to make a paste. Add milk gradually; mix well and heat over low until warmed. Add veggies and liquid. Stir thoroughly and heat for 5-10 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally until mixture thickens slighly. Add bacon, shredded cheddar cheese (amount to your liking, I have even used process cheese slices) parsley & thyme. Soup will thicken as it stands, so you can add more milk or cream as you like

Re: Cream of Potato & Bacon Soup by MudderBear

Good comfort food---I'll have to try this recipe. Thanks MudderBear and FatKat!

----

I make something in the nature of a quick or basic version that can be made in a hurry with just a few ingredients... The amounts aren't at all critical, just whatever you enjoy.

I usually have some cooked crumbled bacon in the freezer---if you don't, fry up maybe 3-5 bacon slices worth of bacon pieces.

Saute chopped onion in some bacon fat, butter or oil.

Add milk and heat though.

Add salt (or soup base such as chicken, onion or ham) and pepper to taste.

Add frozen corn kernels in an amount your prefer and heat for a few minutes.

Add the bacon.

Thicken with potato flakes.

---

This is quite fast, something I threw together one fall night after we came back from a day trip. DH really likes this and I have to say I do too!
    Mary Ann in Wisconsin
    "A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push.

Ludwig Wittgenstein

Comment

Working...
    X