Bread-and-butter Jalapenos

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bread-and-butter Jalapenos

I GOT THIS FROM "THE TEXAS COWBOY KITCHEN" COOKBOOK I PICKED UP AT SAM'S LAST WEEK. ALOT OF GOOD RECIPES

BREAD-AND-BUTTER JALAPENOS

3/4 LB FRESH JALAPENOS, ABOUT 20-30
    1 CARROT, PEELED AND COARSELY CHOPPED
    1 RED ONION, THINLY SLICED
    20 GLOVES GARLIC, PEELED
    1 TSP DRIED THYME LEAVES OR 3 (3-INCH) SPRIGS FRESH THYME, CHOPPED
    4 CUPS APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
    4 CUPS LIGHT BROWN SUGAR
    1/4 CUP EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
    1 TBSP KOSHER SALT

SELECT A LARGE GLAS JAR ABOUT 3 QUARTS TO 1 GALLON IN SIZE. WASH IT WELL AND RINSE WITH BOILING WATER TO STERILIZE. POUR THE WATER OUT. SET THE JAR ASIDE.
    WASH THE PEPPER AND MAKE SURE THEY ARE CLEAN, ESPECIALLY AT THE STEM END. DRY THOUROUGHLY. PACK THE PEPPERS, CARROTS, ONION, GARLIC AND THYME INTO THE JAR, MIXING OR SHAKING TO DISTRIBUTE THE VEGETABLES EVENLY.
    HEAT THE VINEGAR IN A LARGE NONREACTIVE SAUCEPAN TO JUST BOILING. REMOVE FROM HEAT AND STIR IN THE BROWN SUGAR AND OLIVE OIL. STIR WELL UNTIL THE SUGAR HAS DISSOLVED. RETURN MIXTURE TO HEAT IF NECESSARY TO HELP DISSOLVE THE SUGAR. POUR THE HOT LIQUID OVER THE PEPPERS AND STIR AGAIN. PLACE A SMALL PLATE OVER PEPPERS IF NECESSARY, TO KEEP THEM SUBMERGED. SET THE PEPPERS ASIDE TO COOL. WHEN COOL, COVER TIGHTLY AND PLACE THE JAR IN THE REFRIGERATOR FOR AT LEAST ONE DAY BEFORE SERVING.

MY PIC: http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x108/grizjack/BREADANDBUTTERJALAPENOS.jpg

THE RECIPE DOESN'T MENTION WHAT TO DO WITH THE KOSHER SALT, SO I DISOLVED IT IN THE VINEGAR WITH THE BROWN SUGAR. I TOOK THE TOPS OFF MY JALAPENOS AND QUARTERED THEM INTO WEDGES, SO THEY'D FIT BETTER ON A SANDWICH.
    EDITED TO ADD: IT SAYS THEY KEEP FOR A MONTH, IN THE FRIDGE. USE THEM ON BURGERS, GRILLED CHICKEN SANDWICHES, WITH PORK ROAST, OR IN PULLED BRISKET TACOS.
    Last edited by nuisance; 12-21-2007, 04:56 PM.

Yummo!!! I can just taste them now! My mouth is waterin'.... I'm saving this recipe now. Thank you for posting!

RubyRed
    RubyRed

Comment

WOW!!!! DH is going to love this one.

I'm going grocery shopping tomorrow and guess what's going on my list.

Thanks for the recipe!
      "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
      -Will Rogers

Comment

Nuisance-
        I made your Bread and Butter Jalapenos…. I got them all put together and was about to stick them in the frig when I noticed my bag of garlic still sitting on the counter. Since I didn’t know what they were supposed the taste like with the garlic they taste great to me.

Next time I make them I’ll add the garlic and then decide which I like better.

Great recipe…. Thanks!!!

My Pic
        http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t36/BettyR_139/BreadandButterJalapenos001.jpg
        -Will Rogers

Comment

Ours were so hot we couldn't eat them, and they kept getting hotter, I finally threw them away today. I'm going to try them again.

I wonder if you could just add more jalapenos as you eat them, or if you would have to make a new batch of the vinegar stuff to be warm to pour over the jalapenos??????
          Last edited by nuisance; 01-05-2008, 08:08 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=nuisance]Ours were so hot we couldn't eat them, and they kept getting hotter, I finally threw them away today. I'm going to try them again.

I wonder if you could just add more jalapenos as you eat them, or if you would have to make a new batch of the vinegar stuff to be warm to pour over the jalapenos??????[/QUOTE]

I can eat the onions and the carrots but I would never touch the peppers.... my DH and DS could eat fire and it wouldn't bother them.... they thought they were really good.

I've tried reusing pickle solutions before and the pickles always taste watered down. It's always better to make a new batch of vinegar stuff.
            -Will Rogers

Comment

[QUOTE=nuisance] IT SAYS THEY KEEP FOR A MONTH[/QUOTE]

These won't be around for a month! Maybe a week! LOL

Thanks Nu! Freakin' Yum!

My Pic -

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/sltrax/BBjalapenos1.jpg

Comment

Wow, everyone pics are wonderful and this sounds so yummy!
                I cannot wait to try it! TY for sharing!

Comment

This is fantastic! TY for sharing the recipe.

My pic:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g176/shadow-66/cooking/appetizers/524e25ba.jpg

Comment

Yummy Shadow! They just keep getting better! I just laced my ham sandwich with them. Burp!

Comment

TY

That sounds good!

Comment

[QUOTE=Bean]These won't be around for a month! Maybe a week! LOL

Thanks Nu! Freakin' Yum!
                        [/QUOTE]

Don't think they will last a week here....no way. Just scarfed more down. Hopefully thru the weekend! Yes, TY nu!!! Awesome!!!

Comment

Re: Bread-and-butter Jalapenos

I think I will have to make these VERY soon!
                          They look wonderful!
                          Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

[QUOTE=nuisance]Ours were so hot we couldn't eat them, and they kept getting hotter, I finally threw them away today. I'm going to try them again.

I wonder if you could just add more jalapenos as you eat them, or if you would have to make a new batch of the vinegar stuff to be warm to pour over the jalapenos??????[/QUOTE]

I can eat the onions and the carrots but I would never touch the peppers.... my DH and DS could eat fire and it wouldn't bother them.... they thought they were really good.

I've tried reusing pickle solutions before and the pickles always taste watered down. It's always better to make a new batch of vinegar stuff.

Comment

Re: Bread-and-butter Jalapenos

I got them all put together and was about to stick them in the frig when I noticed my bag of garlic still sitting on the counter. Since I didnít know what they were supposed the taste like with the garlic they taste great to me.
                              Cansely

Comment

Working...
                              X