Levain Chocolate Chip Cookies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Levain Chocolate Chip Cookies

Always looking for active culinary forums, so I'm posting here to see if anybody's interested.

So, there's a bakery in New York that is known for its very thick and gooey cookies. They look pretty good. I've been grinding through a bunch of chocolate chip cookie recipes lately to try and understand the basic structure and how various ingredients and techniques effect the final product.

Here's a graph I made for reference.

Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 6.20.34 PM.png

Anyway, I'm working on testing this Levain Chocolate chip Cookie recipe this week. If this works, I'll try and post a photo when I'm done. Also, if anyone has any suggestions. A lot of sites suggest using cake flour and corn starch to build up the structure, but I'm probably just going with cake flour. I'll do a batch with cornstarch if I don't get the effects I'm looking for.

Here's the recipe I'm going off, linked to my site. I have a recipe management system that I built to manage my own recipes. No photos or anything, just info.

Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients
    • 4 oz. Unsalted Butter (softened to 65F)
    • 4 oz. Light Brown Sugar
    • 3 1/2 oz. Granulated Sugar (toasted)
    • 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
    • 8g Kosher Salt
    • 2 tsp Baking Powder
    • 1 tsp Baking Soda
    • Pinch of grated nutmeg
    • 2 Eggs
    • 10 oz. AP Flour
    • 15 oz. Chocolate Chips
    Directions
    • Combine butter, light brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla extract, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and nutmeg in the bowl of a stand mixer. With a paddle attachment, mix on low to moisten, then switch to medium and beat until soft, fluffy, and pale, pausing occasionally to scrape down the bowl and beater.
    • With the mixer running, add eggs, one at a time, letting each incorporate fully before adding the next.
    • Reduce speed to low and add the flour all at once. When flour is incorporated, add chocolate chips and mix well.
    • Portion dough to 6 oz. (8 equal portions). Round each into a smooth ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least 12 hours before baking.
    • To bake, adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat to 350F. Arrange dough balls on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
    • Bake for about 22 minutes, or until they reach an internal temperature of around 175F
    • Cool on baking sheet.

Whole Foods sells these cookies in their frozen desserts section. Easier than going through the hassle. You get 8 cookies in the box and put them in the oven frozen. They have already been baked at the bakery, so it is just a matter of heating them up. And in a short time, you have thick cookies. Because they are so thick for a cookie, 8 is enough.

Comment

Working...
    X