Eggplant Gratin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eggplant Gratin

I made this yersterday in 9 by 13 inch casserole, I used a whole container ricotta (smaller size!!) and the only thing I would change is to cook eggplant less before layering also I really browned the top so to cover up I sprinkled a bag of mozzerella on top!!

Eggplant Gratin
    2007, Ina Garten, All Rights Reserved

Good olive oil, for frying
    3/4 pound eggplant, unpeeled, sliced 1/2-inch thick
    1/4 cup ricotta cheese
    1 extra-large egg
    1/4 cup half-and-half
    1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 cup good bottled marinara sauce

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
    Heat about 1/8-inch of olive oil in a very large frying pan over medium heat. When the oil is almost smoking, add several slices of eggplant and cook, turning once, until they are evenly browned on both sides and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Be careful, it splatters! Transfer the cooked eggplant slices to paper towels to drain. Add more oil, heat, and add more eggplant until all the slices are cooked.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together the ricotta, egg, half-and-half, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.

In each of 2 individual gratin dishes, place a layer of eggplant slices, then sprinkle with Parmesan, salt and pepper and spoon 1/2 of the marinara sauce. Next, add a second layer of eggplant, more salt and pepper, half the ricotta mixture, and finally 1 tablespoon of grated Parmesan on top.

Place the gratins on a baking sheet and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the custard sets and the top is browned. Serve warm.

Editing to add my pics:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/martha-ann/DSC00776-1.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/martha-ann/DSC00775-1.jpg
    Last edited by wishingstar; 04-30-2008, 08:53 AM.

Looks delicious

Comment

Eggplant Gratin

That looks good. I use one eggplant cut in thick slices 1/2 inch. Salt the slices and let them sit for 10-15 minutes. Scrape the salt off, this takes care of the bitter taste some eggplant can have. Do the egg and breadcrumbs. Heat the olive oil, fry on both sides, drain on paper towel. Take most of the oil out of the pan, add homemade spaghetti sauce, if I have it, or use a canned sauce that has good flavor. Let that heat for a bit until boiling, turn down heat, add the eggplant, top with a thick slice of whole milk motzerellathe real kind that comes in a ball if you can find it, slap a lid and let cheese melt over low heat.
      Pasta has been cooked. Put that on a plate, top with eggplant ,or chicken if you used that, slather with sauce and pass the parmigano reggianno sp? fresh grated. Serve with green salad-pref with caesar dressing..

Comment

Re: Eggplant Gratin

I always soak my peeled eggplant slices in salt water for a few hours......rinse them off and pat them dry, and good to go for whatever recipe you use your eggplant for.

Comment

I have to try this!

Comment

This is really good but be sure & get your skillet hot & then your oil almost smokin' hot & fry the eggplant up fast or it will soak up way too much of the oil.I wouldnt even fry it for 5 minutes(It continues to cook later by baking),just a minute per side, if that much.Get it crispy/browned fast & drain on paper towels blotting excess grease off.

Comment

I made this tonight but I cheated and bought already breaded eggplant @ Sam's Club. Delicious!
              "Everyone's a star and deserves the right to twinkle"

Comment

Well i don't know much about this, but i am going to try this soon because to get good health i can try anything up to a limit, but your suggestion looks bit interesting and soon it will be experimented by me.
                Last edited by Patrickiren; 08-16-2012, 02:06 AM.
                Visit Here http://beecodes.com/ediets-coupon-co...unt-codes.html

Comment

[quote]3/4 pound eggplant, unpeeled, sliced 1/2-inch thick
                  1/4 cup ricotta cheese
                  1 extra-large egg
                  1/4 cup half-and-half
                  1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
                  Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
                  1/2 cup good bottled marinara sauce[/quote]

Ingredients are seems to be nice and would give a tasty output. I have not tried any eggplant dish yet, and I am keen to try it now, hope fully I would make something eatable... or only I will eat it alone..lol
                  Cary Fitness Center

Comment

Working...
                  X