HELP! Pound cake recipe posted here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Pound cake recipe posted here

Hi, I have read these boards for years getting recipes and ideas, this is my first post!

I am looking for a pound cake recipe posted here, it may have been a couple of years ago. I saved the recipe and made it for a potluck last year, and it was GREAT. However, I have lost all my computer files where I saved recipes. All I remember about it was it made a really big pound cake (I think "Big" might have even been part of the name), I believe it was recommended that you use both vanilla and almond extracts, and I think the person who posted it was a caterer or baked for events, I seem to remember them mentioning that it was requested often. I was wanting to make it again for a picnic in 2 days (!) and realized I didn't have the recipe, if anyone knows what I am talking about and could post the recipe, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Found it!

Sorry, false alarm! I had looked in the Hall of Fame recipes in Tried and True, and must have overlooked it, but checked again and there it was! This is the recipe in case anyone is curious- I highly recommend it! I am using it to make strawberry and peach shortcakes.

>
    This pound cake is famous.

Judie's "Big" Pound Cake
    Posted by:COOKnQT

3 c. sugar
    3 c. flour
    6 eggs
    2 sticks butter (softened)
    1/2 c. shortening
    1 c. milk
    1 tsp. vanilla (or omit almond extract and increase vanilla to 1 tablespoon)
    1 tsp. almond extract
    3 tsp. baking powder

Place all ingredients in a LARGE bowl .....
    Beat 5 minutes on high speed
    Pour batter into large tube or bunt pan (WELL greased) (OR 1/2 sheet pan)

Bake 350 for 45 minutes - 1 hour (until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean)

Allow to cool in pan until luke warm. Once removed from the pan, I let it sit on a wire rack and cover the whole thing with a heavy towel, till the next day ... This allows the "crunch" to form. If you flip it onto a plate or serving platter right away, the part that *was* the top (open end of pan) can get soggy.
    Dust with powdered sugar

The pan I prefer to use most often (for a Bundt)is an old Nordic Ware 14 cup capacity, very big & VERY heavy. It was my Grandmothers, I don't even think they make it anymore.

It fits perfectly in a 1/2 sheet pan.

As far as the texture ... The best way I can describe it is "velvety" and rich. The top (open end of pan) gets the most delicious crispy little "crunch".

The combination of vanilla & almond extracts produces a lovely, light flavor that people just "can't put their finger on" .. and usually go back for seconds and/or thirds to try to figure it out.

Comment

Saving recipes

I also save my recipes on a file on the computer. I lost them all once when my computer crashed, so now after I put one in the computer I print out the recipe and put it in a folder with all my favorites ones and store it. Then about once or twice a year I back up the folder to a CD and keep it. But I have found that occasionally the CD fairy's get ahold of it and it goes bad, so I always have my paper back up. This may help you for the future.

Comment

help please

I baked Judies "Big" pound cake and it was so good, but I baked it for 55 min. and thought it was done because the top had a good crust and set nicely but when I took it out of the pan it was so runny it collapsed. What I did taste was super good, so just wondering if anyone else has tried this and did it turn out ok? I bought a 14 cup bundt pan just for this cake, nordicware has one right now for their 60th anninversary. I could have baked it longer but the top was getting really brown. Did anyone else need to bake this longer? I think I need a new oven! thanks

Comment

As soon as I saw Big in your first post, I knew which one you were talking about. Glad you found it. On my to try list.

Comment

Working...
          X