Fresh Corn On The Cob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh Corn On The Cob

The season is nearing to get fresh corn on the cob and I would like to buy a bunch of it, cut it off and freeze it. I have no idea if you cook it first before freezing it or not..have never made it. Does anyone have a good tried and true recipe for this please? Thx

I used to do a bushel every year, but it's been years since I've family at home. I do remember that I blanched it first but cannot remember just how long. I'd then dump it in a sink of cold water with ice cubes to cool, drain, cut it off and pack it then seal-a-meal bags with perhaps 1-2 Tbsp of butter in each bag. It was always so good to have some of it in the dead of winter.

Comment

is it cheaper that way? otherwise i'd rather buy it fresh when i need it. i see corn almost yhear round now
      I don't want buns of steel. I want buns of cinnamon !!!

Comment

With prices escalating the way they are right now, I cannot begin to imagine whether it's more economical to do this. One of the major reasons I used to do it is because I genuinely prefer local corn in season. I used to get it from a stand that had literally pulled the corn on the morning of the day I was buying it. It used to be a family affair. We'd all sit out on the patio and shuck it. I handled the blanching/chilling. DH cut it, my 2 DDs would bag it, and then I would seal the bags.

Comment

Roxy,
          this is how I do it for cream style.If you want whole kernel,just cut it off the cob, blanch it and cool it before packing and freezing.

When my kids were home we always did 10 doz ears at a time. ,but be sure you get a good price on your corn ,or its a lot of work and you may be able to buy it already done cheaper.

Cream Style Corn
          List of Ingredients

18 cups fresh cut sweet corn (36 ears)
          2 cups milk
          1/2 cup butter
          1/3 cup sugar
          1 Tbs. salt
          Recipe

Place 1/2 the corn in a food processor, cover and process until creamy

Pour into a large baking pan; add milk, butter, sugar, salt, and the rest of the corn.

Cover and bake at 325 for 1 hours.Stir often. cool and pack in containers and freeze.

Yield; 2 quarts .................................
          I organize chores into catagories.
          Things I won't do now; things I won't do later; things I'll never do.

Comment

Oh Mew, That Brings Back Memories, We Lived In Southern California, We'd Get A Big Crate Of Corn, And Everyone Would Sit Around And Shuck It!!! Had A Ball. But I Dont' Remember What Mom Did With It, Was To Young To Care Back Then! Lol

Comment

Nu, I'll have to remember to ask my DDs if they recall that. I thought we had fun; hopefully they did too.

Comment

When the season is in here, I can buy local corn for 10-12 ears for a dollar! So every year I buy enough to last till the next year. I cut them into halves, boil them for about 5 minutes, then freeze them. Trick my husband taught me once - if you pre-boil them a little before freezing, you can then wrap a frozen ear of corn in plastic wrap with a pat of butter and nuke it for 2 or 3 minutes. Comes out crisp-tender and juicy without having to wash extra dishes.

Comment

Thank you to all for the wonderful ideas and recipes to make it

Comment

We cut it off the cob and scrape the cob of milk and juices. Then we bag it and freeze it in whatever quantities you prefer. Then later, thaw it out, add butter and fry it until partially browned. Eat it.

Comment

I just cut it off the cob, FoodSaver it and use it in recipes (like Best Corn Ever). Yum!

Comment

Boil For 7 Minutes, Place Into Cold Water, Cut Off The Cob, Put Into Freezer Bags And Freeze. Well Worth The Effort.
                        SHEL

Comment

I blanch it for 3 minutes then immediately remove it to an ice bath in my sink. Pat dry, let cool completely, and seal in freezer bag. Also, if you add a paper towel to the top of the freezer bag, it will absorb any moisture and help prevent freezer burn.

I just got 3 batches done yesterday, and look forward to having corn on the cob in winter again this year
                          I'm a transplanted Yankee!

Comment

Working...
                          X