Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Best Mac and Cheese recipe please..!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Best Mac and Cheese recipe please..!

I'm looking for the best T&T southern recipe.. I know I can google a recipe, but there are so many variations. Please post your family favorite. Thanks!

I make a couple of versions, but this is my kids favorite that they request me to make every holiday. It really is simple and delicious!

1 lb. elbow macaroni
    1 large box (32 oz) Velveeta cut into 8-12 equally thick slices
    1 12 oz can tomato juice

Boil macaroni and drain. Layer 1/2 of the macaroni, half of the cheese slices, and 1/2 of the tomato juice. Repeat layers. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 1/2 hour or until cheese is melted and the top looks marbled.

Comment

That looks good cottun thanks!!!

I lovemac and cheese I am basic tho make mine most times with elbows velveeta milk and butter lots of black pepper.

Will be back to see everyones recipes ...yummy thread

Comment

While my pasta is cooking I make my cheese sauce in the microwave

2 Tbsp flour
        2 Tbsp butter/margarine

Mix together

1 C milk

Add to flour/butter mixture and nuke on high for 30 seconds, whisk the mixture. Nuke for another 30 seconds and whisk. Keep doing this until the mixture becomes thick.

Grate 1 C old cheddar (or more depending on your taste)

When the milk mixture is thickened whisk in the cheese, some salt and pepper and paprika or cayenne (my fave) and whisk until smooth. Pour over pasta and serve

All told the whole thing takes about 10 minutes.

Comment

A little different.

Tex Mex Macaroni Casserole

8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
          1 pound lean ground beef
          1 chopped onion
          1 package (1.25 ounces) Taco Seasoning
          1 cup water
          1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
          1 can (4 ounces) green chiles
          1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
          2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

1. In a large skillet, brown beef and onion over medium-high heat; drain.

2. Add Seasoning Mix, water, and tomato sauce. Bring to boil and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in cooked macaroni, chiles, and corn.

3. Pour mixture into a greased 13x9-inch baking dish; top with Cheddar cheese. Bake at 350°F. for 30-35 minutes or until heated through.

Makes 9 (1 cup) servings

Comment

I love macaroni & cheese! I honestly don't think you can have too many different recipes for that. I'll keep any eye on this thread and copy them all!

Here is one of many I make -

Bean’s Easy Creamy Mac & Cheese

2 cans (14 1/2 oz) chicken broth
            2 1/2 c. uncooked elbow macaroni
            1 can (12oz) evaporated milk
            4 T butter, melted
            1 heaping T. flour
            1/2 t. salt
            1/2 t. pepper

1 1/2 c. shredded pepper-cheddar cheese
            1 1/2 c. shredded Butterkase cheese
            1/2 c. sour cream

Oven at 350º

Stir the flour and butter with a fork and stir in the broth, macaroni, evaporated milk, salt & pepper and place in a greased 9x13 casserole dish, cover with foil. Bake 45 minutes to an hour (until macaroni is cooked) stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from oven, stir in cheeses and sour cream, back into the oven for 5 minutes to heat through.

Pics -

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/sltrax/Creamycassmac.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/sltrax/Creamymac.jpg

Comment

Baked Rigatoni with Four Cheeses

Another -

I did cut the recipe in half, it makes a bunch for two people.

Baked Rigatoni with Four Cheeses

Recipe from: From Our House to Yours
              by A Cookbook To benefit Meals on Wheels of San Francisco photographer: E.J. Armstrong

An American classic is updated by James McNair with great cheeses. Although this recipe doesn't freeze well, it will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. It can be reheated in a microwave or a preheated 350 degree oven until heated through; to keep cheese smooth, avoid over baking.
              Serves 4 to 6

1 tablespoon salt, plus more to taste
              1 pound dried pasta such as fusilli, penne, rigatoni, or ziti
              6 tablespoons 3/4 stick) unsalted butter
              1/2 cup all-purpose flour, preferably unbleached
              4 cups milk
              2 cups evaporated milk
              Freshly ground pepper to taste
              Freshly grated nutmeg to taste
              1 1/2 cups each freshly shredded Gruyere cheese (about 5 ounces),
              freshly shredded Emmenthaler cheese (about 4 1/2 ounces),
              freshly shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (about 5 ounces)
              1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 4 ounces), preferably Parmigiano-Reggiano

1. Stir the 1 tablespoon salt into a large pot of rapidly boiling water. Drop the pasta into the boiling water and cook, stirring frequently, until tender but still firm to the bite. Drain into a colander, rinse under cold running water, drain again, transfer to a large bowl, and set aside.
              2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and set aside.
              3. In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Whisk in the flour and cook, whisking or stirring almost constantly, until bubbly and fragrant, about 5 minutes; do not brown. Remove from heat.
              4. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the milk and evaporated milk and bring just to a boil over medium- high heat. Pour all at once into the butter and flour mixture and whisk until smooth. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Place the pan over medium heat and cook, whisking or stirring constantly, until thick- ened, about 5 minutes. Pour over the cooked pasta and stir to thoroughly coat the pasta. Spread the pasta evenly in the prepared baking dish.
              5. In a bowl, combine the four cheeses, then sprinkle evenly over the pasta. Lightly dust the top with grated nutmeg and bake until the cheese melts and the pasta is heated through, about 25 minutes.
              6. Transfer the baking dish to the broiler and cook until the cheese is slightly golden, about 3 minutes.
              To Make Ahead: Store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.

To Reheat: Heat in a microwave or a preheated 350 degree oven until heated through.

My Pic -

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/sltrax/Macches22.jpg

Comment

Bean I notice you only use little bowls for the mac n cheese. I'd probably just stand over the casserole and chow down.

Comment

LOL Rube! That's because I usually make it for a side dish.

Comment

And another -

This was wonderful! I used 2% milk and it was very creamy (not too rich) and It. Seasoned bread crumbs. YUM

OH - needs more hot sauce!

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

Comfort yourself with this classic hearty combination, or create a new favorite with our suggested variations.

By Kim Sunée

Whole grain dijon mustard adds depth to creamy Baked Macaroni and Cheese, the ultimate comfort food.

1 (8-ounce) package dried elbow macaroni or favorite pasta (about 2 1/4 cups,uncooked)
                    1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) butter
                    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
                    2 cups milk
                    1 tablespoon whole-grain Dijon mustard
                    1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
                    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
                    1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
                    1 (8-ounce) package shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (about 2 cups)
                    2 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (optional)
                    Toppings (optional):

1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
                    2 tablespoons butter, melted

1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and set aside. Melt butter in a large heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Turn heat to medium; gradually whisk in milk, and cook over medium heat, stirring or whisking constantly until thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir in pasta, mustard, and next 4 ingredients, stirring just until cheese begins to melt.

3. Pour pasta mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano or more Cheddar. If desired, top with fresh breadcrumbs, and drizzle evenly with melted butter.

4. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes or until bubbly and golden. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

(http://www.cottageliving.com)

My Pic -

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/sltrax/Macnche.jpg

Comment

Bean, Did You Ever Make The One In The Cowboy Cookbook? I Keep Forgetting About It. I Need To Make Me A List And Put On The Fridge Or Something To Remind Me Of Things I Want To Cook! Lol

Comment

[QUOTE=nuisance]Bean, Did You Ever Make The One In The Cowboy Cookbook? I Keep Forgetting About It. I Need To Make Me A List And Put On The Fridge Or Something To Remind Me Of Things I Want To Cook! Lol[/QUOTE]

NO! Let me go look it up again! I forgot with the gazillion recipes I want to make. LOL

Comment

Chipotle Mac & Cheese

Rubelishous posted this for me over in Recipes To Try. Well, I tried it & we loved it! I added a bit more chipotles and didn’t see the need for the egg (not in directions – so left it out). This is a keeper, thanks Rube! Freakin' YUM!

Chipotle Mac & Cheese

1 (7-ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
                          1 tablespoon butter
                          1 tablespoon olive oil
                          1/2 cup chopped onion
                          1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
                          1 garlic clove, minced
                          2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
                          1 (14-1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
                          4 cups hot cooked elbow macaroni (about 2 cups uncooked)
                          2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
                          1 cup ricotta cheese
                          One quarter cup grated Parmesan cheese
                          1 cup milk
                          1 large egg, beaten
                          Cooking spray
                          3 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove 1 teaspoon adobo sauce and two chipotle chiles from can, finely chop. Save remaining chiles and adobo sauce for another use. Melt butter in Dutch oven or heavy-bottom stock pot over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Add onion, green bell pepper, garlic, chipotles, and adobo sauce and cook for about 4 minutes or until the onion is tender, stir frequently.

Sprinkle in the flour and cook for about 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium and add tomatoes. Cook 3 minutes or until the thickened. Add cooked macaroni, milk, and cheddar, ricotta, and Parmesan cheeses. Stir until cheddar is melted. Spoon all of this into a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with breadcrumbs and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

You can also add about 2 cups cooked chicken to make this an even heartier dish.

My Pics-

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/sltrax/Chipotlemaccheese.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/sltrax/Chipoltemacheese.jpg

Comment

This is very rich!

Six Cloves Mac and Cheese

2 c. whole milk

1 can (14 ounces) evaporated milk

6 large cloves garlic, minced (2 packed T.)

1 large bay leaf

4 allspice berries

1/4 t. dried red pepper flakes

1 t. coarse kosher salt

4 1/2 T. unsalted butter

4 1/2 T. flour

2 T. Dijon mustard (or more to taste)

2 c. grated extra sharp white cheddar cheese (or more to taste)

1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese (preferably Parmigiano-Reggiano)

Coarse salt (kosher)

8 ounces corkscrew macaroni

1/2 c. crushed garlic croutons (homemade or purchased)

In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the whole milk, evaporated milk, garlic, bay leaf, allspice, red pepper flakes and salt. Heat just to a boil and set aside.

Meanwhile in another saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat, add the flour and whisk for 5 minutes, do not brown. Remove from heat.

Add 1 cup of the hot milk to the flour mixture and whisk into a thick paste. Continue to incorporate the milk, a cup at a time, whisking until smooth after each addition. When all the milk has been added, return the saucepan heat and cook over medium-low heat until somewhat thickened, about 15 minutes. Scrape the bottom frequently to prevent scorching. Turn off heat and add the mustard, cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese. Strain the sauce through a firm sieve, pressing through with a rubber spatula. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt, mustard and more cheese if desired. You can increase the heat with a dash of Tabasco (just a dash? ).

Using plenty salted water, cook the macaroni at a rolling boil until firm, about 5 minutes. Drain and add half the cheese sauce. Turn the mixture into four to six cup 1–cup ramekins. The noodles should be soupy. If not, ladle more sauce over the noodles. (they will absorb a lot of the sauce). The recipe can be made ahead at this point, cool, cover and refrigerate up to two days.

Oven at 350º

Top noodles with crushed croutons and parmesan cheese and place on baking sheet. Bake until hot about 25 minutes. To give a brown and bubbly finish, place ramekins under broiler 4 inches from heat, until the top is golden and bubbly, about 3 minutes.

Serve immediately.

From Everything Tastes Better With Garlic

My Pic –

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/sltrax/Maccheese.jpg

Comment

[QUOTE=nuisance]Bean, Did You Ever Make The One In The Cowboy Cookbook? I Keep Forgetting About It. I Need To Make Me A List And Put On The Fridge Or Something To Remind Me Of Things I Want To Cook! Lol[/QUOTE]

OK! I just looked it up and have everything but the goat cheese. I had some poblano peppers I needed to do something with so I roasted them this afternoon (not knowing what I was going to use them in). It’s meant to be! LOL

Now what can I sub the goat cheese for? I can make this tomorrow night but and really don’t care for goat cheese anyways!

Comment

Working...
                              X