Mexican Cornbread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexican Cornbread

Does anyone have a good recipe for Mexican cornbread that has green chiles, cheese and sausage in it? I'd like to make it tonight to go with a pot of pinto beans.

Thanks!

I found these online:

Padma Lakshmi’s Top Recipes!
    Mexican Cornbread with Jalapeno and Chorizo

1 cup yellow corn meal
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    ½ cup granulated sugar
    3 teaspoons baking powder
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon baking soda
    ½ teaspoon cayenne
    2 large eggs
    1 cup whole milk
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/3 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
    ½ cup chopped pickled jalapenos
    1 15-ounce can whole kernel corn, drained or 1 pound frozen corn kernels
    1/3 cup diced chorizo sausage
    2 to 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
    1 teaspoon sumac (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
    2. Ina large bowl, mix together the corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and cayenne.
    3. Separately, in a smaller bowl, thoroughly beat and mix together the eggs, milk, and olive oil. When this mixture is as uniform as possible, add the Monterey Jack cheese, jalapenos and the corn, and mix further.
    4. Add the diced chorizo to the egg and cheese mixture, and mix in. To add this egg mixture to the dry flour mixture, clear the center of the flour bowl to make a well, carefully pour in the egg mixture, and mix together with a fork. You must amalgamate all of the flour, including the powder on the sides of the bowl. Add the dill, and continue to vigorously mix.
    5. Pour this batter into a Bundt, round, or square baking pan 8 or 9 inches across, coated with a little olive oil. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean. When done, remove the pan from the oven and allow it to cool for about 20 minutes before carefully flipping the corn bread onto a cake plate.
    6. Just before serving, dust the sumac powder over the top of the bread for some added color and spice.

SERVES 8

Chile and Chorizo Cornbread (The Complete Sausage Cookbook | August 1977 - Bruce Aidells and Denis Kelly)

1/2 pound Chorizo, removed from casing
    1 cup yellow cornmeal
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    1 cup sour cream or yogurt
    1 (8-ounce) can creamed corn
    4 fresh Anaheim chiles, fire-roasted, peeled, and chopped
    1 fresh jalapeno chile, seeded and finely chopped or 1 (4-ounce) can green chiles chopped
    2 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese

Preheat the oven to 350°.
    Crumble and fry the Chorizo in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat for 5 minutes to render some of the fat. Put the sausage meat and 3 tablespoons of the fat in a large bowl. Add the cornmeal, baking powder, salt, eggs, sour cream, corn, chiles, and 1 1/4 cps of the cheese. Mix all ingredients thoroughly.

Generously butter a 1 1/2 quart casserole, 9 by 9-inch baking dish, or 10-inch heavy skillet. Spoon in the cornbread batter. Sprinkle the top with the remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until the cornbread turns golden and smells wonderful. Serve hot.

Comment

Mexican Cornbread My Way

2 eggs
      1/4 cup corn oil
      1 1/2 cup buttermilk or milk
      1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
      1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
      1 large onion, minced
      2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
      1 cup cornmeal
      1 cup all-purpose flour
      2 teaspoons baking powder
      1/2 teaspoon baking soda
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      1 lb bulk sausage, cooked & drained
      1 lb bacon, crumbled, optional

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 10 inch black iron skillet.

2. In a small bowl, beat eggs. Mix in corn oil and buttermilk. Stir in 1 cup shredded cheese, corn, onion, and jalapenos.

3. In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Stir the egg mixture into the dry ingredients. Add sausage. Mix well. Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese on top.

4. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until center is set and top is golden brown.

Note: Baking time was 60 minutes for our oven. You can use ground meat instead of sausage. You can also add a pound of fried bacon, crumbled. I also use self rising flour sometimes. Large onion, not a jumbo one. I also use green chiles in place of jalapenos if I want a milder version.

Comment

Damar, that sounds wonderful!

Comment

Damar, I tweaked your recipe. It was good! I didn't use the whole kernel corn or the bacon. And after I started mixing it up, I realized I didn't have any green chiles or jalepenos. So, I threw in some canned chipotle peppers. It was really good, just a little on the spicy side!

Thanks so much!

Comment

Glad ya liked it. Wednesday, my great niece called me and asked if I would make her a batch for an end of year Mexican celebration for the end of the school year. I said yes ma'am. She is only 10 years old. She asked me not to make it spicy cause it was just going to be kids eating it. I thought that was funny as heck, because she can eat any spicy dish I make. I left out the jalapenos and put in the green chiles (mild). I saw her the day after she served it, gave me a big hug and a kiss, told me she owed me biggggggg time. The kids in her class and some other teachers thought it was awesome.

Comment

Working...
            X