Meals that can feed a few or many

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meals that can feed a few or many

As some of you may or may not know my grandfather is getting ready to pass away. It will probably be sometime this weekend. He has asked that the grandchildren not see him at this point so I am stuck at home going absolutely insane with boredom. Today I offered to cook something for them and take it over. I wouldn't go in, just bring them food. All 3 of them are exhausted from taking care of my grandfather. Anywho, for the past two nights they have ate Spaghetti and Goulash. I don't think I want to make a pasta dish because that's what they've primarily ate. I am looking for something that is yummy (well duh!) and reheats well. Sometimes around dinner there is 3 people and sometimes 7 or 8. It just depends. I don't want to make too much and have them throw it out cause it doesn't reheat well. Any ideas?

Sorry if I rambled, I have been doing that a lot lately.
    I don't like making plans for the day, because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.

How about a meatloaf or a cold cuts tray?

Comment

THat would be good, or even a ham or turkey, you can have sandwiches or casseroles with leftovers.

Comment

I do once-a-month cooking, so I'll throw out some things that I know to be tried & true.

Salisbury Steak. Can't beat it. Freezes beautifully. For portion size, you can use the aluminum cake pans. Fits about 4 patties in each. That way, your family can re-heat only what they need.

Mashed potatoes. Again, freezes very nicely. You will have to drain a little liquid after reheating. Goes well with the Salisbury Steak. Portion size can be controlled with either quart or gallon sized ziplocs.

Soup. Any kind. Vegetable, gumbo, chili. Again, use the ziploc size you need.

Grilled chicken. When reheated can be used as a main dish, or on top of a salad.

Rice freezes beautifully.

Pork roast or eye of round. When cooked on a rotissere (sp), is very easy to freeze and reheat. Can be used as a main dish, or sliced for sandwiches.

My best wishes to you and your family. I hope these suggestions help.

Comment

TAAG............I'm so sorry for what you are dealing with.......been there......lost my mom to cancer and it is not easy to lose a loved one.

Here is an easy, makeahead recipe that is always a fav when I take it.

Chicken Divan

Layer frozen broccoli -- big bag........I like the florets, not the chopped..........no need to cook......put in frozen.

Top w/ cooked chicken......easy to get the rotisserie chicks.....but less expensive to get about 4 breasts and roast them off and remove the meat.

Broil .......... about 8 slices of bread that you butter and sprinkle w/ garlic pepper......do both sides, and cut into 1 or so inch squares.

Mix up in a bowl...........2 cans cream of chicken soup, 1 c mayo, 2 c grated cheddar. Can add a splash of milk or half n half if you want.

Spread the soup/cheese over the bread/croutons. Sprinkle more grated cheddar and grated parm on top. Bake 350 till bubbly.

I have been making this recipe for years and I adjust it as I need to, so sorry that there are not exact amts.........adjust as you need to.

HUGS and PRAYERS,
          D

Comment

Working...
          X