ISO: Recipe for Hamburger baked on a loaf of French Bread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISO: Recipe for Hamburger baked on a loaf of French Bread

My brother-in-law frequently refers to a recipe his late mother made where she mixed hamburger meat with various ingredients and the spread the mixture on a loaf of bread sliced horizontally. It was then was tightly wrapped and then baked.

Rings any bells for someone? Thank you.

There are a couple of hamburger stuffed french bread recipes at recipezaar that I had marked to try but haven't yet. Do a search for # 39848 or # 113150 and see if they sound like what you want.
    I thought the grandkids might like something like this.

Comment

Thank you

I will check those out. My BIL will be very excited.

Comment

Could it have been Runza?

BEEF & CABBAGE RUNZA

INGREDIENTS

* 1 (1 pound) loaf frozen bread dough, thawed
        * 1-3/4 pounds ground beef
        * 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon water
        * 1/3 large head cabbage, chopped
        * 1/3 large onion, chopped
        * 2/3 clove garlic, chopped
        * salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
        * 2 teaspoons butter, melted

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Divide each loaf of frozen bread dough into 6 pieces, and roll into balls. Set aside.
        2. Crumble the ground beef into a large pot over medium heat. Cook and stir until evenly browned. Drain off grease. Add the water, cabbage, onion, and garlic. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring as needed, until the cabbage is soft. Season with salt and pepper to taste. I like to use more pepper than salt. Drain off any excess liquids, and set aside.
        3. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough balls into 5 inch (approximate) squares. Place about 3/4 cup of the cabbage burger into the center, fold the dough over, and pinch to seal. Place on a baking sheet with the seam side down.
        4. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven, and brush with melted butter. Serve hot.

(I just roll out the bread dough, put all the ingredients on that, roll up, sealing ends/seam tightly and bake)

Comment

Oh Ang, that looks good. I vaguely remember someone talking about Runza's, and I was going to put it on my to try. Got it printed!! Thanks

Comment

Re: ISO: Recipe for Hamburger baked on a loaf of French Bread

I posted a reply to this question recently - no idea where it went - obviously not to the right place though!
            When we were growing up in Louisiana Mother made what we called "hamburger sandwiches" - French bread split long way - opened - then spread the hamburger filling very generously on the bread. Baked - open face.
            Recently relocated and haven't gotten to recipes yet but but the meat mixture was ground beef, egg (?), grated cheese, small can of evaporated milk. Not sure what else - but they sure were good.
            If this sounds like what you're wanting - let me know - I'll look.

Comment

My gramps used to make us open faced burgers broiled on open English Muffin halfs. He'd mix in ketchup and a little mustard (and you could certainly add things like Parm. cheese and chopped onion) till the burger was pretty wet and actually spreadable w/ a knife. He'd spread it on the muffin half all the way to the edge and broil 'em till the burger was done. They were delish!!
              "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

Looking forward to some more of this. Sounds like an interesting idea.

Comment

[QUOTE=luvs2eat;248426]My gramps used to make us open faced burgers broiled on open English Muffin halfs. He'd mix in ketchup and a little mustard (and you could certainly add things like Parm. cheese and chopped onion) till the burger was pretty wet and actually spreadable w/ a knife. He'd spread it on the muffin half all the way to the edge and broil 'em till the burger was done. They were delish!![/QUOTE]

A friend I had in high school was one of 10 children. They did the hamburg mix and spread it on just regular old hamburger buns, then broiled. I remember their goodness!

He drew a circle that shut me out -
                  Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout.
                  But Love and I had the wit to win:
                  We drew a circle that took him in.
                  -Edwin Markham

Comment

Oh the things that we spread on bread.....my mom made this concoction with Kam or Klic or some sort of scuzzy luncheon meat, grated cheese, chopped pickle, mayo, mustard, and a couple more things I think, spread it on open faced buns, and broiled for a few minutes. Gotta say, the memories say 'Yum' but the adult brain says 'artery clogger'.
                    Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

I can't remember where I got this recipe, but I've made it for years and havn't changed a thing in it.

Cheesy Beef Rolls
                      1 1/2 pounds ground beef
                      1 small can evap. milk
                      1/2 cup ketchup
                      1 1/2 tsp salt
                      1 egg
                      1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
                      1 tablespoon yellow mustard
                      1/2 teaspoon pepper
                      2 cups grated cheddar cheese

Combine all ingredients and place mixture on 6 inch rolls (hoagie or french rolls). Line a baking sheet with foil and cook in a 350F oven for 35 minutes.

Comment

Where does all the grease go? The bread?

Comment

Could this be it?

Hamburger Loaf

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.

1 lb ground beef
                          1 bell pepper, diced
                          1 sm onion, diced
                          1 10oz can cream of mushroom soup
                          1 10oz can cream of chicken soup
                          1 French loaf of bread, cut lengthwise near the top of the loaf, hollow out the loaf and save
                          2 cups of the removed bread

Brown the ground beef.
                          Add the bell pepper and onion and cook until pepper and onion are soft.
                          Add the soups.
                          Add the 2 cups of saved bread from the loaf.
                          Bring the mixture to a boil.
                          Place the mixture in the bottom half of the bread and place the top bread on top.

Bake in foil for 30 minutes.

Comment

I think she was talking about a raw mixture to spread on the bread & then Bake?
                            I think that the grease would probably go into the bread, Damar. May be a good idea to use a VERY lean hamburger meat, huh?
                            Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

Working...
                            X